Using MariaDB rather than MySQL (how I did it, also a question)

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
pick
New user
New user

Using MariaDB rather than MySQL (how I did it, also a question)

Post by pick » 2021-09-26 15:26

Partly as a point of discussion about MariaDB, in case this may help others, but at the same time I wonder if my method is the best way. I noted that another user has mentioned successful use of MariaDB, so I'm curious to know the way.

During installation of hMailServer, it prompts for the type of database to use, either the built-in database, or one of three external database choices — MSSQL, MySQL and PostgreSQL. I chose MySQL but at the last point of entering the connection information, it reported that it required libmysql.dll. I don't know what I should have done, but this is what I did, which worked fine but not exactly elegant...

- Uninstalled MariaDB and replaced it by installing MySQL
- Re-installed hMailServer, chose MySQL again (surprised to get the same libmysql.dll error but no problem, copied it into \bin)
- Tested hMailServer, working fine
- Made copy of libmysql.dll
- Uninstalled MySQL and replaced it with MariaDB
- Re-installed hMailServer, copied libmysql.dll into \bin and working fine

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Using MariaDB rather than MySQL (how I did it, also a question)

Post by palinka » 2021-09-26 18:42

hMailServer will "just work" the moment you place the correct libmysql.dll in the bin dir. I'm also using MariaDB and I got mine from HeidiSQL.

There's no need to go through the process you described. All you need is a libmysql.dll that works with your version of database.

pick
New user
New user

Post by pick » 2021-09-26 18:53

Thanks @Palinka it's good to know libmysql.dll is okay to use. Yeah, sure I understand - it was only the last step that was actually necessary.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2021-09-27 00:10

pick wrote:
2021-09-26 15:26
surprised to get the same libmysql.dll error but no problem, copied it into \bin
Version 5.4 of HMailserver was closed source, and therefore was not allowed under the license arrangements of MySQL to include that dll

Also the reason why we swapped to the MS SQL CE as the default database
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation