Use HMail for outgoing mail but not incoming mail?

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
captain_planet
New user
New user

Use HMail for outgoing mail but not incoming mail?

Post by captain_planet » 2021-05-06 23:22

Hi folks.

I've seen a few similar questions but can't quite figure it out.

I have a domain (example.co.uk) which hosts a website. I currently host my email with Zoho and the MX record at example.co.uk points to mx.zoho.com.

Zoho works well until i need to send a lot of emails for marketing purposes, at which point sometimes the outgoing mail gets temporarily blocked! So I've set up a Hmail server at mail.example.co.uk to use for all outgoing mail sent from my website (i will probably continue to use the Zoho client for my own purposes).

I've added 2 email accounts in Hmail:

notifications@example.co.uk
support@example.co.uk

My website explicitly tries to send email using the host mail.example.co.uk.
Is what I'm trying to achieve possible? Thanks!

mattg

Re: Use HMail for outgoing mail but not incoming mail?

Post by mattg » 2021-05-07 00:19

I trust that these are all opt-in emails
captain_planet wrote:
2021-05-06 23:22
Yes, this is by design and can't be changed, Use a different account name
captain_planet wrote:
2021-05-06 23:22
You need to create a SMTP route pointing to your zoho server

You will also likely need to modify SPF, set up DKIM signing and more to not end up in SPAM folders.
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2021-05-07 01:04

A friend runs a pretty large and active hobby website. He complained to me about how he spends most of his time dealing with getting off blocklists, dealing with email admins to prove he's not spam, etc. My advice to him was to outsource sending notifications from the site to a 3rd party relay service. Then all the reputation defense falls on the relay. But the volume is so large that the cost of the relay would eat into his profits from the website. Tough decision. Time & aggravation vs money. Only you know the answer.

He does not use hMailServer.....

captain_planet
New user
New user

Post by captain_planet » 2021-05-08 15:52

Thanks both.

Yes, they are all opt-in notifications. To be honest they're typically 'service status updates' but I've had issues when using Zoho AND Sendgrid (free plans) since they're both shared mail servers essentially. It's most likely other users abusing the service and causing issues for everyone else!

I have configured SPF and DKIM.

I've also set up a route and resolved my issue (I needed to set up an 'app password' on Zoho since I has 2FA enabled). Thanks again.

glenluo
Normal user
Normal user

Post by glenluo » 2021-05-09 05:29

Mailgun free plan is much better than sendgrid.
Sendgrid's ip always in blacklist and i always catch some phishing,virus emails from sendgrid.
Also,mailgun API is easy to use to catch the error,non delievry email.
Sender,rcptto,Subject,MessageID,Status,FailReason,Time and etc

webguyz
Normal user
Normal user

Post by webguyz » 2021-05-12 16:46

We use Hmail as a incoming and outgoing spooler on a ram disk. Our home grown spamfilter handles incoming emails and then routes to hmail with its rich content filtering who then delivers to the proper mail server and then we use it as a smarthost and all outgoing email get routed to hmail who directs everything to an open source email appliance EFA at efa.org. We used to use Mailchannels but way too expensive and EFA works well as a Mailchannels replacement and we have 10 IP addresses dedicated to randomly sending emails so gmail and others don't see tons of emails coming from 1 IP. I am sending about 8K emails a day and it can handle probably another 10K-20K more a day as long as its on a ram disk.