SMTP error with Iphone

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
ChrisBDirectD
New user
New user

SMTP error with Iphone

Post by ChrisBDirectD » 2019-03-13 19:43

Hi all, I wonder if anyone can offer advice, I have one particular user who intermittently has issues with sending emails, he is using an iphone, recently upgraded to s max and the problem still persist as it did with his old phone. Sometimes when trying to send an email but not all times it give him an error on his iphone unable to connect to outgoing mail server and give our IP. I have enabled logging to SMTP on the server and when it happened today i got the error Sent : 535 Authentication failed too many invalid login attempts.

The iphone only has one SMTP account and one email account, when this happened today I checked the IP Ranges and that user was blocked, it eventually unblocked itself and then started working again.

This has been going on for some time but i really have no idea whats going on as like i say its intermittent, so sometimes it will be OK and sometimes it wont, it doesn't seem to matter if it is 3g, 4g or wifi.

Any further advice greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Chris

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Re: SMTP error with Iphone

Post by SorenR » 2019-03-13 20:32

ChrisBDirectD wrote:
2019-03-13 19:43
Hi all, I wonder if anyone can offer advice, I have one particular user who intermittently has issues with sending emails, he is using an iphone, recently upgraded to s max and the problem still persist as it did with his old phone. Sometimes when trying to send an email but not all times it give him an error on his iphone unable to connect to outgoing mail server and give our IP. I have enabled logging to SMTP on the server and when it happened today i got the error Sent : 535 Authentication failed too many invalid login attempts.

The iphone only has one SMTP account and one email account, when this happened today I checked the IP Ranges and that user was blocked, it eventually unblocked itself and then started working again.

This has been going on for some time but i really have no idea whats going on as like i say its intermittent, so sometimes it will be OK and sometimes it wont, it doesn't seem to matter if it is 3g, 4g or wifi.

Any further advice greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Chris
Switch off automatic check on the iPhone and use manual check. The IOS Mail.app is seriously flawed and has been for years.
SørenR.

The quantum rule of insecurity which states that the act of observing how vulnerable a host or service is changes the insecurity level of the service.

ChrisBDirectD
New user
New user

Post by ChrisBDirectD » 2019-03-14 12:42

Thanks, do you meant turn off push so you have to check for mail manually?

Many thanks for your help with this.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2019-03-14 19:07

ChrisBDirectD wrote:
2019-03-14 12:42
Thanks, do you meant turn off push so you have to check for mail manually?

Many thanks for your help with this.
That is what I am told. The problem is most often in combination with POP3.
SørenR.

The quantum rule of insecurity which states that the act of observing how vulnerable a host or service is changes the insecurity level of the service.

ChrisBDirectD
New user
New user

Post by ChrisBDirectD » 2019-03-14 19:28

It was already disabled, the user had 2 more bans today, its very strange looking at the log file one of the failed attempts it only showed his partial address almost like all the address was not used in the authentication procedure.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2019-03-15 01:34

I don't have any issues with iPhones & email
I only use IMAP, and only use SSL
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation