How i can find the email was remove in trash?

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
Jacateb
New user
New user

How i can find the email was remove in trash?

Post by Jacateb » 2018-04-28 05:34

thank you so much

mattg

Re: How i can find the email was remove in trash?

Post by mattg » 2018-04-28 07:10

Sending an email to trash with an IMAP client...?

The message in the original folder is marked for deletion, and a copy is placed in the trash
Some mail clients compact or expunge as you change folders others do not.

You may see the message still in the original folder in some mail clients if you stop 'hiding' mail marked for deletion.

Depending on the logging that you have enabled in hMailserver, but this action would be logged with IMAP logging and DEBUG logging.

The message may still be in the file store and database with 'delete flag' set, depending on what the IMAP client has done.

It may be that the message is actually deleted, and then hMailsevrer logging your only option to trace what happened. This level of logging is not on by default, someone at your end must have turned it on for it to exist.

If the email was deleted with a POP3 client, then there is nothing in hMailsevrer will be able to tell you. The message is downloaded --- that's it. Some mail clients also delete messages on the server when deleted on the client - but I've never seen this as the default action. This may show in DEBUG + POP3 logging if enabled
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

jimimaseye

Re: How i can find the email was remove in trash?

Post by jimimaseye » 2018-04-28 10:19

Also...

I find that having Windows indexer include the data folder is hugely beneficial. That way you can simply access the data folder in Windows explorer and do a search for known content (such as the subject). Often you will find the email that way at file level even if it's not easily findable I the client) . You may also find there is more than one entry (matching the original folder and the trash folder) due to the email not yet successfully expunged or cleared due to multiple email clients holding a 'lock'.
HMS 5.6.6 B2383 on Win Server 2008 R2 Foundation, + 5.6.7-B2415 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829