general questions about hMailServer

This section contains user-submitted tutorials.
lesterchew
New user
New user

general questions about hMailServer

Post by lesterchew » 2021-12-08 09:59

I have an application that is set up to send email to our Microsoft exchange server within our network, not external using smtp.companydomain.com (sample) and port 25. There are no settings to use a different port for secure SSL/TLS connection. So, I have to find some alternative for our application to send email using a secure connection and to an internal company Microsoft Exchange server. Someone in the application software community suggested using hMailServer.

1. The application is installed on a 2016 server. I do not see any version of Windows Server OS on the compatibility list. Will HMailServer install and work on Windows 2016 servers?
2. I understand that hMailServer is not the client. My goal is to set the application to point to the hMailServer and configure hMailServer to connect to our internal Microsoft Exchange server. I see where you can configure the destination for email to be sent to. However, what I have read so far is that the destination is external (internet email) and not for sending email to internal Microsoft Exchange Server. Is that correct?
3. I don't want hMailServer to receive email, if I can set it up to send email to an internal company Microsoft Exchange Server.
4. Is hMailServer only for sending email to external webmail?
5. If I can use hMailServer for the purpose I stated above, can someone contact me to assist in how I would set this up.

Thank you for any assistances to the above questions.

Lester

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Re: general questions about hMailServer

Post by palinka » 2021-12-08 13:10

You want a relay. hMailServer can do that no problem. Runs on server 2016 no problem.

Settings > Advanced > IP ranges > delete the preconfigured IP ranges. Then set one up for your application server. Allow external to external deliveries. Do not require auth.

Settings > Protocols > SMTP > Delivery of email > SMTP Relayer > set up relaying server with required information.

tvaetc
New user
New user

Post by tvaetc » 2022-02-17 15:26

I'm adding my experiences with hMail installation in Windows Server 2016 to this topic:

When installing hMail Server on Windows Server 2016 today, the installer recommended installation of ASP .NET v2.

The installation of ASP .Net v2 that was offered inside the installer has failed.

Server Manager offeed me the options of installing ASP .NET v4.6 and 3.5 (if 4.6 is installed)

I installed v4.6, but the same offer and failure of 2.0 occurred. Shall I try again after adding v3.5?

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2022-02-17 16:00

tvaetc wrote:
2022-02-17 15:26
I'm adding my experiences with hMail installation in Windows Server 2016 to this topic:

When installing hMail Server on Windows Server 2016 today, the installer recommended installation of ASP .NET v2.

The installation of ASP .Net v2 that was offered inside the installer has failed.

Server Manager offeed me the options of installing ASP .NET v4.6 and 3.5 (if 4.6 is installed)

I installed v4.6, but the same offer and failure of 2.0 occurred. Shall I try again after adding v3.5?
If you had taken the time to investigate yourself you would not have to ask the question!

https://www.maketecheasier.com/install- ... indows-10/

Are you sure you have the knowledge required to run a mailserver?
SørenR.

Woke is Marxism advancing through Maoist cultural revolution.

tvaetc
New user
New user

Post by tvaetc » 2022-02-28 15:14

Here's the successful outcome, for future folks.

Having taken the time to investigate myself (I always do, even if I don't succeed), I was happy to find that although the installer asks for (and fails to install) ASP .NET 2.0, it will also settle for v3.5 which is the oldest supported version in Windows Server 2016.

Tips:

Microsoft advises Control Panel install of ASP .NET but CP just redirects to the stalwart Server Manager, where the feature is waiting.

Here's where the role/feature is to be found in Server Manager: Web Server (IIS) > Web Server > Application Development

My instance od WS2016 required ASP .NET version 4.6 to be installed before installation of 3.5 was permitted.

After that, the hMail Server installation succeeded.