Clean Install of hMailServer v7

This section contains user-submitted tutorials.
ScalpWithMe
New user
New user

Clean Install of hMailServer v7

Post by ScalpWithMe » 2024-02-01 06:58

I have been experimenting with hMailServer 5.6 for several months now and had my single domain system running very smoothly. I had tried and failed to upgrade to the latest version of 5.6 a few times. My head was spinning from reading hundreds of forum posts with the different version numbers, latest fixes and database scripts.

My goal was to find a simple method of installing hMailServer that I could document and then replicate later on if required. I decided to do a clean install of version 7 - not really knowing what to expect. I will share my experience here in case it helps anyone looking to do something similar in the future.

I ran a backup of my single domain and two accounts from within my existing version of hMailServer Adminstrator.

I uninstalled my existing 5.6.9 setup and rebooted my PC.

I downloaded hMailServer-5.7.0-B2643-x64.exe and double-clicked it to run the Setup program - knowing in advance that it would install into Program Files instead of Program Files (x86).

I chose to allow Setup to create a new MS SQL Server database and had my server connection details ready. There has been no need (so far) to run any scripts after initial setup. Everything ran smoothly.

I started hMailServer Administrator and restored my settings and domains from the backup 7Zip file. This 'appeared' to go smoothly with no errors in the log.

After sending a test email that was correctly received on the email client on my Android phone, I deleted the email and received an error that one of my accounts did not exist. I went to edit the accounts for my domain in hMailServer Administrator and this is where I ran into my first issue. hMailServer Adminstrator would not allow me to edit the Domain settings. I had to delete the domain from the list and then re-add it. I then re-added my two email accounts for the domain. I tried to delete the test email again on my phone but the error message remained. I remembered from past experiments that I had to manually create DRAFTS, DELETED and SENT folders for each email account in hMailServer Administrator. (I'm not sure if this is req'd in IMAP settings too but I did it anyway). I was then able to delete the test email from my phone without any errors :)

I manually copied my EventHandlers.vbs, Disconnect.exe and IPBlacklist.txt into the Events folder. I clicked the Reload Scripts button and started to monitor the event logs. Everything seems to be working perfectly - including the OnHELO feature which was my main inspiration for doing all of this.

I will update this thread if I find anything strange, but it was a painless experience for me so far :D
Trading financial markets is much like life. You are lied to from the beginning and manipulated until the end.

mattg

Re: Clean Install of hMailServer v7

Post by mattg » 2024-02-02 01:58

ScalpWithMe wrote:
2024-02-01 06:58
I downloaded hMailServer-5.7.0-B2643-x64.exe and double-clicked it to run the Setup program - knowing in advance that it would install into Program Files instead of Program Files (x86).
hMailserver should install where it was installed previously.

I have my hmailserver 5.7 installed to C:\hmailserver
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

ScalpWithMe
New user
New user

Re: Clean Install of hMailServer v5.7

Post by ScalpWithMe » 2024-02-02 02:29

In my case I had uninstalled v5.6, so as far as the Setup program was concerned, hMailServer hadn't been installed previously. It defaulted to 'Program Files' so I let it install there.

I just noticed I have been referring to v7 instead of v5.7 :roll:
Trading financial markets is much like life. You are lied to from the beginning and manipulated until the end.

mattg

Re: Clean Install of hMailServer v7

Post by mattg » 2024-02-02 09:55

still shouldn't matter because there are some registry entries made.
Uninstalling in itself is not a 'clean' un-install
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

ScalpWithMe
New user
New user

Re: Clean Install of hMailServer v5.7

Post by ScalpWithMe » 2024-02-03 15:06

mattg wrote:
2024-02-02 09:55
still shouldn't matter because there are some registry entries made.
Uninstalling in itself is not a 'clean' un-install
:o Mmmm... that's good to know for future reference