web interface (non-admin) that runs on IIS and SQL

Use this forum if you want to suggest a new feature to hMailServer. Before posting, please search the forum to confirm that it has not already been suggested.
bd9999
New user
New user

web interface (non-admin) that runs on IIS and SQL

Post by bd9999 » 2021-08-16 02:25

I know this has probably been requested a million times, but I noticed there are no web clients that use the native IIS nor SQL(Express) and require both the installation of Apache and MySQL to work - like RoundCube. Since hMail is Windows software and Windows has IIS built in and SQLExpress is free (or already running), it doesn't make much sense to add all this extra overhead (LAMP) for a web interface when it's basically already there on the OS.
There was one I found, but it's ASP.Net webforms (ancient) and it's $50. Something made with DotNetCore MVC or even Blazor would be desirable.

mattg

Re: web interface (non-admin) that runs on IIS and SQL

Post by mattg » 2021-08-16 04:12

You say Web interface (non-admin) but I suspect that you are talking about a web mail solution, not an admin solution
hMailserver has never offered an integrated webmail (and probably won't)

I've run Squirelmail and roundcube on IIS using MySQL where needed before
A long time ago, but I've upgraded to NginX on a linux server for my websites, and web mail clients

I also now run NginX on my Windows machine running hMailserver, with PHP for the PHPWebAdmin - (The admin console supplied with hmailserver)

NginX is so much better than IIS and Apache, especially with Secure connections. Apache makes two connections when making SSL encrypted connections. NginX is far less resource hungry.

Nginx does require some setup, but then so does IIS with PHP

Afterlogic also offer an ASP version if you don't want to run PHP
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2021-08-16 22:50

bd9999 wrote:
2021-08-16 02:25
Since hMail is Windows software and Windows has IIS built in and SQLExpress is free (or already running), it doesn't make much sense to add all this extra overhead (LAMP) for a web interface when it's basically already there on the OS.
I like to multi purpose as well, but if you want something, you have to live with its specific requirements.

Most WAMP servers have very little overhead. You probably wouldn't even notice it.

bd9999
New user
New user

Post by bd9999 » 2021-08-17 07:06

Anyway, just a feature request.
Afterlogic web is more expensive than complete commercial email server packages (native to Windows Servers - like Ability Mail Server) and haven't updated their core stuff in nearly a decade (webforms? really?).
Regarding RoundCube and others ported from Linux:
The LAMP overhead is pretty severe, actually. It's significantly slower than before, but PHP is interpreted, so it's always going to be slower than DotNet and MySQL is the worst relational database on the planet regarding performance. I suppose I could plop another $200/month for a dedicated server, but it's just not worth it.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2021-08-17 09:33

I use xampp and the overhead is hardly noticeable. I don't have any great volume, though.

Roundcube runs very smoothly.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2021-08-17 14:25

I don't think that Squirrelmail even needs a database unless you add address book, but hey it will be more outdated that Afterlogic

If you can find a webmail without requiring PHP that runs on IIS, then it should work with hmailserver. As long as connections are IMAP and SMTP like a normal mail client it should work.

If you find an opensource one, I'll even have a play.
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2021-08-17 14:40

I run Roundcube with no database. hMailServer support IMAP SEARCH so there is no point in having a cached copy of ALL your emails on the webmail server - Unless you want the average Joe Hacker to read them :mrgreen:
SørenR.

Woke is Marxism advancing through Maoist cultural revolution.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2021-08-18 08:41

SorenR wrote:
2021-08-17 14:40
I run Roundcube with no database. hMailServer support IMAP SEARCH so there is no point in having a cached copy of ALL your emails on the webmail server - Unless you want the average Joe Hacker to read them :mrgreen:
Cached copy? Its just for user settings, no?

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2021-08-18 10:01

palinka wrote:
2021-08-18 08:41
SorenR wrote:
with "no database" I mean no cached emails. Settings obviously has to go in a database. Any database can be used for that, even SQLite.

Roundcube can (could?) do IMAP caching to improve speed and search functionality.
SørenR.

Woke is Marxism advancing through Maoist cultural revolution.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2021-08-18 10:33

SorenR wrote:
2021-08-18 10:01
palinka wrote:
2021-08-18 08:41
SorenR wrote:
with "no database" I mean no cached emails. Settings obviously has to go in a database. Any database can be used for that, even SQLite.

Roundcube can (could?) do IMAP caching to improve speed and search functionality.
I just looked at my rc database. It's 3mb and the vast majority of that is the contacts table which syncs with my horde installation.

No message caching.

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2021-08-18 16:35

bd9999 wrote:
2021-08-16 02:25
I know this has probably been requested a million times, but I noticed there are no web clients that use the native IIS nor SQL(Express) and require both the installation of Apache and MySQL to work - like RoundCube. Since hMail is Windows software and Windows has IIS built in and SQLExpress is free (or already running), it doesn't make much sense to add all this extra overhead (LAMP) for a web interface when it's basically already there on the OS.
There was one I found, but it's ASP.Net webforms (ancient) and it's $50. Something made with DotNetCore MVC or even Blazor would be desirable.
if you are fine with adding php support on your webserver then go check out rainloop https://www.rainloop.net/ no need for database
lets cheat darwin out of his legacy, find a cure for cancer...