Installer and SQL Server Integrated Security

Use this forum if you want to suggest a new feature to hMailServer. Before posting, please search the forum to confirm that it has not already been suggested.
MCFH
New user
New user

Installer and SQL Server Integrated Security

Post by MCFH » 2019-05-04 09:35

Hi there,
Having just tried to install hMailServer I ran into a problem with Integrated Security where I didn't have the rights to create the database (despite the fact I am Admin of everything). I think you should be doing the following:
  • Capture credentials that the service is to run as in the installer or DBSetup utility
  • Capture credentials that have sysadmin rights to the database (this could be the same as the installer but might not be) in the installer or DBSetup utility
  • Define a set of roles so we can permission based on those so that we don't need to give CREATE TABLE or CREATE DATABASE rights to the service credentials
  • Create the database and tables using the sysadmin account
  • Setup the service account as an account on the database if it is not already there and permission it on the database
Hope that makes sense
Thanks
Mark

mattg

Re: Installer and SQL Server Integrated Security

Post by mattg » 2019-05-04 10:15

Database user name and credentials are stored in the hMailserver.ini

Which database type did you try to use?
What Operating system are you running hMailserver on?

Is the database on the same machine?
Are you installing hMailserver as an administrator?

What you describe doesn't fit MySQL, Maria DB, PostgreSQL or even the default MS SQLCE on most operating systems. I'm guessing that you have tried to install on a new Windows Server variant, and that you are trying to use an existing MS SQL (not the CE version). Is that correct?
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

MCFH
New user
New user

Re: Installer and SQL Server Integrated Security

Post by MCFH » 2019-05-05 00:02

Yes:
SQL Server 2017 on Windows Server 2016

Yes database is on the same machine and is an existing SQL Server. Service was running under Local System.

and yes I was installing as an administrator. I got round it by enabling SQL Security