Alias names for folders

Use this forum if you want to suggest a new feature to hMailServer. Before posting, please search the forum to confirm that it has not already been suggested.
CichyA
New user
New user

Alias names for folders

Post by CichyA » 2015-07-07 13:45

Hi,

I'm using my mailserver with al lot of different programs / devices. The problem is, that some of the programs have a different idea about how the TRASH folder should be named. Some call it "TRASH", other call it "GELÖSCHTE ELEMENTE" (german Outlook version), others call it "PAPIERKORB". (I put it here in uppercase letters for easier reading....)

Not all of the programms/applications allow you to change the folder name. You can do that in Thunderbird - but nor in Outlook neither in the android apps.

I think it would be very helpfull to have some kind of aliases for folders - which would allow me to merge those three names into one folder on the mail server side.

Andreas

mattg

Re: Alias names for folders

Post by mattg » 2015-07-08 00:36

you certainly can change the folders in Outlook
I don't use Android, but I'd be surprised if you can't change it there too
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

northernsoul
New user
New user

Post by northernsoul » 2015-07-08 18:09

In Outlook not the "special folder" names. User created folder names yes.

In Android there may well be a 3rd party client that the user can change special folder names but definitely not in the default client including the latest Lollipop. The problem is that Google and Microsoft use different names for the special folders.

I have the same problem and was wondering if any script or rule had been posted that could move messages from say sent -> sent items, trash -> deleted items etc.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2015-07-09 01:20

northernsoul wrote:I have the same problem and was wondering if any script or rule had been posted that could move messages from say sent -> sent items, trash -> deleted items etc.
I haven't seen one, but that shouldn't be hard to write... how is your VBS?

There are scripts for deleting messages, moving to another IMAP folder should be easy enough.

I think that is a good solution to this feature request....
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

northernsoul
New user
New user

Post by northernsoul » 2020-07-24 15:55

mattg
I haven't seen one, but that shouldn't be hard to write... how is your VBS?
Mediocre at best.

In time that has passed I just left hMailServer as it is. Most users either don't care or don't know about the difference between as example "sent" and "sent items". If an email was sent from an Android device, then to look for that email most people would use that Android device again. In which case the sent email would be easy to find.

Anyway mattg, thank you for the reply.

Besserwisser
New user
New user

Post by Besserwisser » 2020-08-01 17:30

the best solution would be that the hmailserver supports IMAP SPECIAL-USE Folders (RFC 6154) (see https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewt ... =2&t=34124). In dovecot you will find this usefull function (see https://wiki.dovecot.org/MailboxSettings) but not in hmailserver. Most email-clients can use IMAP SPECIAL-USE Folders (RFC 6154) today. It would make sense to implement this function in hmailserver.
Version 5.6.8 - Build 2538, MariaDB 10.3 on Windows Server 2019