Push to iPhone

Use this forum if you want to suggest a new feature to hMailServer. Before posting, please search the forum to confirm that it has not already been suggested.
benn600
Senior user
Senior user

Push to iPhone

Post by benn600 » 2011-06-01 18:52

I would like to request that IMAP push to iPhone be added. First of all, is this even possible? Second, it would be a great addition as push really shines for many reasons.

Subsequently, pushing folders other than Inbox would be great, too, as I use server-side rules.

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Re: Push to iPhone

Post by Bill48105 » 2011-06-01 21:11

Hi,
Since hmailserver supports imap idle (push) wouldn't this be a request for Apple or someone who makes iphone apps to support imap idle (push) vs hmailserver request or am I missing something? (I can confirm imap idle 'push' (instant email alert upon delivery) works with Outlook & Thunderbird & Android mail so although I've not used iphone's enough to know but hard to believe iphones don't support it too.)
Bill
hMailServer build LIVE on my servers: 5.4-B2014050402
#hmailserver on FreeNode IRC https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#hmailserver
*** ABSENT FROM hMail! Those in IRC know how to find me if urgent. ***

bescher
Normal user
Normal user

Post by bescher » 2011-06-02 10:20

As I use a Iphone I believe it already does although I use push with ssl but only pop3

ldsandon
New user
New user

Post by ldsandon » 2011-06-27 12:33

AFAIK POP3 has not "push" features, it's probably just polling. AFAIK Apple iPhone standard mail client does not support IMAP IDLE (but I can be wrong), while ActiveSync and MobileMe use different protocols.

globalist
New user
New user

Post by globalist » 2011-12-08 10:10

Hi, so as far as I undesrtand this IMAP IDLE that hmailserver provides is obviously not a supported push service on the iphone.

But is there really no way to get push to iphone other than Exchange/ActiveSync?

I'm asking because I know Google mail can be accessed via IMAP and it pushes to the iphone and I don't think that's AS technology?

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2011-12-08 10:20

Well you could always forward email to google and collect it their via iphone :)
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

benn600
Senior user
Senior user

Post by benn600 » 2011-12-08 10:23

There has to be countless people who would thoroughly enjoy this feature. Push is such a time saver and makes email like texts. It is obviously being done by several companies so it is possible, somehow!

globalist
New user
New user

Post by globalist » 2011-12-08 10:24

^DooM^ wrote:Well you could always forward email to google and collect it their via iphone :)
Yes I could but that's not the point.
Last edited by globalist on 2011-12-08 10:33, edited 1 time in total.

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2011-12-08 10:29

Well if you find some specific RFC specs on it then perhaps it can be implemented otherwise it will never be implemented beyond what is already added to hMail. I use android and Thunderbird and they both get email alerts instantly, so why the Iphone does not work is a mystery.

Go find some RFC's on what the iphone uses and post them here please.

globalist
New user
New user

Post by globalist » 2011-12-08 10:48

I believe the "RFCs" are in this case proprietary to Apple and you as developer would need to kindly ask them if they can provide them to you.

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2011-12-08 11:21

Can't see that happening any time soon then as hMail is an RFC compliant mailserver and if Apple is using non RFC complaint tech, I doubt it will be added.

globalist
New user
New user

Post by globalist » 2011-12-08 11:40

^DooM^ wrote:Can't see that happening any time soon then as hMail is an RFC compliant mailserver and if Apple is using non RFC complaint tech, I doubt it will be added.
Who knows, maybe it turns out it is RFC-compliant after all? But it's still you who needs to find this out from them - I believe they're more likely to deal with a developer of a widely-used mail server than with a common end user.

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2011-12-08 11:52

hMail is open source software. Anyone can download the source and develop code for it, so please feel free to become a dev, contact apple and implement it otherwise contact martin@hmailserver.com as he is the owner of hmailserver and see if he is willing to contact apple on your behalf.

globalist
New user
New user

Post by globalist » 2011-12-08 12:02

You know, I get to deal with UK developers a lot and this attitude is just so typical... Is it something in the food that makes you say things like "please feel free to become a developer" or "contact the owner"?

Either way I'm done here, please feel free to close this thread and be happy with not pushing email to a large portion of smartphones sold in the market.

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2011-12-08 12:10

globalist wrote:You know, I get to deal with UK developers a lot and this attitude is just so typical... Is it something in the food that makes you say things like "please feel free to become a developer" or "contact the owner"?

Either way I'm done here, please feel free to close this thread and be happy with not pushing email to a large portion of smartphones sold in the market.
I get to listen to people like yourself that spit their dummy out when they don't get what they want all the time. Must be something about free software that brings out people like yourself. Where exactly does it say I am a developer for hmail? Martin is the developer for hMail which is why I gave you his email address :roll:

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2011-12-08 15:20

globalist,
No need to be such a pushy douche about it. YES pun intended. Features don't get implemented on how rudely they are asked for or how much a person demands it gets done but by popularity (votes) and the willingness of someone to spend the time to make it happen. I see no votes (there are plenty of features requested with tons of votes that have yet to be worked on) and the attitude doesn't win you any brownie points. Ragging on DooM for something he doesn't control is moronic & rude. That is probably partly why martin made hmail open source again: so anyone whining something doesn't exist can download & make the changes or hire someone to do the changes if they want something so bad. At least you have options now.

Do we know if iphone supports IMAP IDLE or not & if not WHAT it supports? If it is closed/proprietary HTH are we expected to add it? Reverse engineer one? The real people to be nagging is APPLE telling them to add IMAP IDLE which will give you push using standards. You could always go get a real phone & go ANDROID. ;)
Bill
#hmailserver on FreeNode IRC https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#hmailserver

globalist
New user
New user

Post by globalist » 2011-12-08 15:54

Wow, the advice to get android was to be expected from you guys wasn't it now?

Anyways, what got me was the out-of-my-hands attitude of DooM - instead of saying "ok I am not the developer but I may relay your request to a dev" he tells me to become a dev myself and to contact hmail devs as if he couldn't do it himself on my behalf.

That's douchbaggery in my book.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2011-12-08 16:11

Anyway, it seems as though Apple uses the Microsoft ActiveSync technology - http://www.macworld.com/article/137032/ ... email.html

Microsoft don't make this stuff available freely, they sell it.
Sure, you can get third party products like NotifyLink, or use one of the 'groupware' servers that have replicated Microsoft Exchange to some degree or another, or you can use Exchange.

Here (at hMailserver) we don't stray from RFCs, even if Microsoft does. I can't see an RFC with IMAP Push (yet!)

Checking my iPhone, I don't see any capacity to IDLE, but I can set it to download frequently.
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

globalist
New user
New user

Post by globalist » 2011-12-08 16:13

But gmail and yahoo obviously can support push to iphone without Activsync, it would seem?

mattg

Post by mattg » 2011-12-08 16:16

It would seem to me that they have either replicated ActiveSync, or they have developed and implemented IMAP Push despite it not being in the RFCs
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2011-12-08 16:24

globalist wrote:Anyways, what got me was the out-of-my-hands attitude of DooM - instead of saying "ok I am not the developer but I may relay your request to a dev" he tells me to become a dev myself and to contact hmail devs as if he couldn't do it himself on my behalf.
Why should Doom (or anyone else) make contact to Martin on your behalf?
I'm sorry, but I just don't get how your expectation was a reasonable expectation.

We are all volunteers here, Doom gave you options that you didn't like - Yep I get that.
But I don't see him being as rude to you as you are being to him.

Dude, no one here is going to take up YOUR cause for you. You need to do that yourself.

I still reckon the best (ie standards based) option is for Apple to implement IMAP IDLE as per RFCs, as other phones seem to be able to do, as many mail clients seem to be able to do.

If memory serves me correctly, we have previously identified at least three different implementations of IMAP Push on various mobile phones. There is no agreed standard on IMAP push, and yet there is for IMAP IDLE - to me this is a 'no brainer' - we stick to RFCs here.

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2011-12-08 16:41

globalist wrote:Wow, the advice to get android was to be expected from you guys wasn't it now?

Anyways, what got me was the out-of-my-hands attitude of DooM - instead of saying "ok I am not the developer but I may relay your request to a dev" he tells me to become a dev myself and to contact hmail devs as if he couldn't do it himself on my behalf.

That's douchbaggery in my book.
Since when is giving alternatives a bad thing? You have options & using a smartphone that supports common standards like IMAP IDLE is a reasonable thing to do. Just like telling you to go pound sand & get Exchange would be too.

DooM contributes a ton to hMailServer (check out his post count, # of years he's been here & great tools he's made like his log analyzer) and as someone else who replies on the forums a lot I understand his POV. It gets old having people say "it would be easy to add" like they have a clue or demanding support for something that is free. DooM suggesting you download the source or hire someone or contact martin are all useful & reasonable suggestions from him considering he's not an hmailserver developer per se so not sure what else you'd expect from him. (Switching phones or mail servers would have also been legit recommendations.)

Btw it baffles me how you'd put the expectation of change on hmail vs Apple.. Go whine to them to add IMAP IDLE support & you'll have your push using a common method (pretty much all email clients & smartphones have supported it for years now) without having to bitch at us to add something that really isn't needed if they got with the program.
Bill

bescher
Normal user
Normal user

Post by bescher » 2011-12-09 10:09

Globalist
If you went to the app store you will find a few apps that will work with imap. One is called mail folder (which I tried and decided that my phone was supposed to be used for storing mail so I went back to using pop on it which does have push on it. (I don't which phone you have but my 4s does.

I agree with Bill why should you ask the developer of a program that does do Imap rather than going to the app store and looking and or asking Apple for the request? It's a Apple product isn't it

DragonDesign
Normal user
Normal user

Post by DragonDesign » 2012-03-04 02:38

that was quite funny reading through.. am a developer btw..

And to offer something constructive: It definitely looks like an Apple 'setting', some ways round it on the following thread. GMail seems to be sorted though, as one would expect..

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/34 ... 0&tstart=0