Specify DNS NameServer to be used by HMailServer

Use this forum if you want to suggest a new feature to hMailServer. Before posting, please search the forum to confirm that it has not already been suggested.
RvdH
Senior user
Senior user

Specify DNS NameServer to be used by HMailServer

Post by RvdH » 2009-12-25 00:19

Could the ability to specify custom DNS Nameservers (for MX lookups) be added to hmailserver?

My own ISP's DNS nameservers are very slow from time to time, and i do not have setup my own DNS server.
Would be nice to be able to control which DNS nameservers to use with hMailServer. (for example OpenDNS or Google Public DNS

example: (Google Public DNS)
Primary DNS Nameserver: 8.8.8.8
Secondary DNS NameServer 8.8.4.4

RvdH
CIDR to RegEx: d-fault.nl/CIDRtoRegEx
DNS Lookup: d-fault.nl/DNSTools
DNSBL Lookup: d-fault.nl/DNSBLLookup
GEOIP Lookup: d-fault.nl/GeoipLookup

^DooM^
Site Admin

Re: Specify DNS NameServer to be used by HMailServer

Post by ^DooM^ » 2009-12-25 02:08

hMail uses whatever is set for windows DNS. Change the DNS in windows to point to whatever DNS server you want and hMail will use it.

Don't use opendns with any mailserver. You will end up with issues as they send their own web pages through if you have a failed lookup. tis messy.
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

RvdH
Senior user
Senior user

Post by RvdH » 2009-12-25 13:04

Yes, but actually changing my DNS Name Servers on the active Network Adapters TCP/IP settings is exactly that which i like to prevent.
I thought this section of the forums was to ask features and suggest ideas, isn't it?

This is a quitte simple feature in my opinion, have seen such freature in at least 1 mailserver, eg: iMail 8.x
Why would you like to alter the networks adapters TCP/IP settings if the nameserver(S) to be used can be specified wihin hmailserver itself?

btw, your second remark, is not true... all hmailserver does is do MX lookups using these nameservers... ever seen the OpenDNS webpage being returned on a MX lookup?

RvdH
CIDR to RegEx: d-fault.nl/CIDRtoRegEx
DNS Lookup: d-fault.nl/DNSTools
DNSBL Lookup: d-fault.nl/DNSBLLookup
GEOIP Lookup: d-fault.nl/GeoipLookup

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Post by dzekas » 2009-12-25 17:18

RvdH wrote:Yes, but actually changing my DNS Name Servers on the active Network Adapters TCP/IP settings is exactly that which i like to prevent.
I thought this section of the forums was to ask features and suggest ideas, isn't it?

This is a quitte simple feature in my opinion, have seen such freature in at least 1 mailserver, eg: iMail 8.x
Why would you like to alter the networks adapters TCP/IP settings if the nameserver(S) to be used can be specified wihin hmailserver itself?

btw, your second remark, is not true... all hmailserver does is do MX lookups using these nameservers... ever seen the OpenDNS webpage being returned on a MX lookup?
Programs should not care about DNS settings. If you don't like your ISP DNS servers, don't use them. Run own ones.

mail server checks MX and A/AAAA records. OpenDNS hijacks non-existent A records. It was bad when Verisign did it. It is bad, when others do it. This OpenDNS "feature" breaks some antispam tools.

Code: Select all

tomas@miri:~$ host somenonexistedhost.com
Host somenonexistedhost.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
tomas@miri:~$ host somenonexistedhost.com 208.67.222.222
Using domain server:
Name: 208.67.222.222
Address: 208.67.222.222#53
Aliases: 

somenonexistedhost.com has address 67.215.65.132
Host somenonexistedhost.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
tomas@miri:~$ host 67.215.65.132
132.65.215.67.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer hit-nxdomain.opendns.com.
tomas@miri:~$ 

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2009-12-25 21:16

RvdH wrote:Yes, but actually changing my DNS Name Servers on the active Network Adapters TCP/IP settings is exactly that which i like to prevent.
Why do you want to prevent that?
RvdH wrote:I thought this section of the forums was to ask features and suggest ideas, isn't it?
Last I checked yes.
RvdH wrote:This is a quitte simple feature in my opinion, have seen such freature in at least 1 mailserver, eg: iMail 8.x
because it's not simple at all. hMail currently asks windows about DNS queries. Windows takes care of everything and just gives hMail the result. Implementing DNS caching and the ability to parse DNS responses is not a small job.
RvdH wrote:btw, your second remark, is not true... all hmailserver does is do MX lookups using these nameservers... ever seen the OpenDNS webpage being returned on a MX lookup?
Actually it is true because hMail has the ability to check the A-Record when MX records fail at which point a false DNS entry is returned. There have been two previous cases of it happening on this very forum.
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2009-12-27 13:32

hMailServer could most likely ask Windows to use a specific set of DNS servers. However, I agree with dzekas here; programs should not care about this. Today, hMailServer doesn't know what a DNS server is and I like to keep it that way. Why should every single program running on a computer have their own DNS settings. This is something which should be taken care of on the operating system level.

To me, this is a bit like being able to configure hMailServer to use a specific set of network drivers rather than the default ones. Sure, to some person who wants the server to use another set of drivers this may be useful, but to the vast majority its just confusing.

Lee Thompson
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Lee Thompson » 2012-09-11 06:19

I'd like the *option* to be able to specify hMail to use a specific DNS.

I have to use Windows DNS internally on my network (Active Directory Domain) and sometimes I don't think Windows DNS does a great job with root lookups. I'd much rather point hMailServer at a machine running BIND or my ISP DNS for sending mail.

A good example, right now, is sending mail to hulu.com.

hMailServer returns DNSQueryFailed "Type 15" error 9002" against the .12 server (2008 R2 Windows DNS)
The mail actually gets sent when against the .13 server (Windows 7 BIND v8 DNS)

The root tables are the same on both servers.

My Windows DNS server returns:

Address: 192.168.0.12

Non-authoritative answer:
hulu.com MX preference = 25, mail exchanger = hulu.com.2.0001.arsmtp.com
hulu.com MX preference = 15, mail exchanger = hulu.com.1.0001.arsmtp.com

hulu.com.2.0001.arsmtp.com internet address = 204.232.236.253
hulu.com.1.0001.arsmtp.com internet address = 204.232.236.252

My BIND DNS server returns:

Address: 192.168.0.23

Non-authoritative answer:
hulu.com MX preference = 15, mail exchanger = hulu.com.1.0001.arsmtp.com
hulu.com MX preference = 25, mail exchanger = hulu.com.2.0001.arsmtp.com

hulu.com nameserver = ns1-24.akam.net
hulu.com nameserver = asia1.akam.net
hulu.com nameserver = asia2.akam.net
hulu.com nameserver = aus1.akam.net
hulu.com nameserver = asia3.akam.net
hulu.com nameserver = ns1-210.akam.net
hulu.com nameserver = usw1.akam.net
hulu.com nameserver = use9.akam.net
hulu.com.1.0001.arsmtp.com internet address = 204.232.236.252
hulu.com.2.0001.arsmtp.com internet address = 204.232.236.253
aus1.akam.net internet address = 144.135.8.182
usw1.akam.net internet address = 23.62.62.195
asia3.akam.net internet address = 124.40.52.132
ns1-24.akam.net internet address = 193.108.91.24
ns1-210.akam.net internet address = 193.108.91.210

mattg

Post by mattg » 2012-09-11 07:14

Lee Thompson wrote:I have to use Windows DNS internally on my network (Active Directory Domain) and sometimes I don't think Windows DNS does a great job with root lookups. I'd much rather point hMailServer at a machine running BIND or my ISP DNS for sending mail.
I have domain or workgroup settings.

On my hMailserver, in network connections I add additional/alternate DNS servers, and order them suitably for a mailserver.
ie my hMailserver uses different DNS than the rest of the network.

Can you simply add your BIND DNS server to your list of DNS servers, and give it priority (by listing first) for your machine where hMailserver is installed?
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

yon
Normal user
Normal user

Post by yon » 2012-09-18 03:32

RvdH wrote:Could the ability to specify custom DNS Nameservers (for MX lookups) be added to hmailserver?

My own ISP's DNS nameservers are very slow from time to time, and i do not have setup my own DNS server.
Would be nice to be able to control which DNS nameservers to use with hMailServer. (for example OpenDNS or Google Public DNS

example: (Google Public DNS)
Primary DNS Nameserver: 8.8.8.8
Secondary DNS NameServer 8.8.4.4

RvdH

I have need this . Please submit vote in http://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=22436

:wink:
IPv6 Email Public Service www.ipv6china.com World's first

echoDreamz
New user
New user

Post by echoDreamz » 2013-06-27 00:31

Agreed this is a good feature. For instance, our systems use our DNS because they are in an AD environment, so as a result if someone adds say chase.com or google.com to our DNS, they've just hijacked all the email going to these domains since hMailserver uses our servers to do DNS resolutions.

So one cannot simply just up and change their Windows DNS settings.

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2013-06-27 05:22

echoDreamz wrote:Agreed this is a good feature. For instance, our systems use our DNS because they are in an AD environment, so as a result if someone adds say chase.com or google.com to our DNS, they've just hijacked all the email going to these domains since hMailserver uses our servers to do DNS resolutions.

Who's going to add chase.com or google.com to your DNS & WHY would they do such a thing?
hMailServer build LIVE on my servers: 5.4-B2014050402
#hmailserver on FreeNode IRC https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#hmailserver
*** ABSENT FROM hMail! Those in IRC know how to find me if urgent. ***

echoDreamz
New user
New user

Post by echoDreamz » 2013-06-27 05:44

You've obviously never been in the hosting world... Customers do weird things all the time either by "not knowing" or by malicious. We have google.com and other domains under our "reserved" list to keep this from happening, but still, we cannot do them all.

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2013-06-27 07:27

echoDreamz wrote:You've obviously never been in the hosting world... Customers do weird things all the time either by "not knowing" or by malicious. We have google.com and other domains under our "reserved" list to keep this from happening, but still, we cannot do them all.
Not sure what you're saying I've been in hosting world for like 20 years. Morons will do moronic things. You can't idiot-proof everything or they'll never learn. :D Who gives AD rights/access to people who'd do stupid shit like that in 1st place? That's why they should hire IT or someone that knows what they're doing instead of band-aid(R)'ing fixes for things that are not broken. I mean seriously someone does something stupid like add gmail.com to their AD they deserve to not be able to email people. lol
#hmailserver on FreeNode IRC https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#hmailserver

echoDreamz
New user
New user

Post by echoDreamz » 2013-06-27 16:19

Who said anything about AD? We do have fancy things like control panels where customers can add domains of their choice. Adding the domain gmail.com and enabling DNS creates the zone record within the systems DNS services.

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2013-06-27 16:43

echoDreamz wrote:Who said anything about AD? We do have fancy things like control panels where customers can add domains of their choice. Adding the domain gmail.com and enabling DNS creates the zone record within the systems DNS services.
echoDreamz wrote:Agreed this is a good feature. For instance, our systems use our DNS because they are in an AD environment, so as a result if someone adds say chase.com or google.com to our DNS, they've just hijacked all the email going to these domains since hMailserver uses our servers to do DNS resolutions.

Why YOU did. ;)

Again having people do stupid things because they don't know what they are doing is not a valid argument to add a feature to hmail. Train them monkeys!

FYI: I've never said having dns settings in hmail couldn't be handy for some in some situations but in reality having them is more likely to cause problems too. All of this has been discussed 100x in the forums if you search. Starting long before I even used hmail. I almost added it in fact but was talked out of it. The sad thing is for as much time as we've wasted talking about it we could have added it to hmail & supported the 1st 500 people who've run into problems due to it. lol
Bill

bagu
Normal user
Normal user

Post by bagu » 2013-06-27 18:28

^DooM^ wrote: Don't use opendns with any mailserver. You will end up with issues as they send their own web pages through if you have a failed lookup. tis messy.
You can easily disable this by creating an opendns account and set your preferences.

See here : http://www.labnol.org/internet/stop-ope ... ypos/4112/
hMailServer 5.6.8 With SpamAssassin 3.4.2

echoDreamz
New user
New user

Post by echoDreamz » 2013-06-27 22:09

Bill48105 wrote:
echoDreamz wrote:Who said anything about AD? We do have fancy things like control panels where customers can add domains of their choice. Adding the domain gmail.com and enabling DNS creates the zone record within the systems DNS services.

Why YOU did. ;)

Again having people do stupid things because they don't know what they are doing is not a valid argument to add a feature to hmail. Train them monkeys!

FYI: I've never said having dns settings in hmail couldn't be handy for some in some situations but in reality having them is more likely to cause problems too. All of this has been discussed 100x in the forums if you search. Starting long before I even used hmail. I almost added it in fact but was talked out of it. The sad thing is for as much time as we've wasted talking about it we could have added it to hmail & supported the 1st 500 people who've run into problems due to it. lol
Bill
Train what monkeys?? Our customers to stop adding domains that they do not own to our control panel? Sure, you want to start that? What problems would come up? SmarterMail supports using different DNS servers and we have no issues, in fact most users who use SM in a AD / shared hosting environment use separate DNS servers for the reason I am speaking off. To me it just seems that no one wants to take the time to add the feature without any good reason.

We've had customers add domains that they own to the control panel but are hosted elsewhere for testing, but when they send email from a domain hosted on our systems to a domain hosted outside our services, because they added that domain to our system, the DNS zone exists within our DNS and hMailserver uses that because it queries our local DNS. Then you have to explain why, disable DNS for their domain so that it gets the correct IP back.

Customers do not have access to AD, but they do have access to our control panel where they can add domains / DNS records to our DNS services, you are acting like everyone is running around accessing our AD servers.

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2013-06-28 01:58

echoDreamz wrote:
Bill48105 wrote:

Why YOU did. ;)

Bill
Train what monkeys?? Our customers to stop adding domains that they do not own to our control panel? Sure, you want to start that? What problems would come up? SmarterMail supports using different DNS servers and we have no issues, in fact most users who use SM in a AD / shared hosting environment use separate DNS servers for the reason I am speaking off. To me it just seems that no one wants to take the time to add the feature without any good reason.

We've had customers add domains that they own to the control panel but are hosted elsewhere for testing, but when they send email from a domain hosted on our systems to a domain hosted outside our services, because they added that domain to our system, the DNS zone exists within our DNS and hMailserver uses that because it queries our local DNS. Then you have to explain why, disable DNS for their domain so that it gets the correct IP back.

Customers do not have access to AD, but they do have access to our control panel where they can add domains / DNS records to our DNS services, you are acting like everyone is running around accessing our AD servers.
Don't get your panties in a bunch. Like I said research it & you'll see why hmail does not have DNS settings. It was decided it was not needed & so far no one has given a decent enough reason to the contrary. If you read up you'll see I was going to take the time to add it (likely take less time than we've wasted talking about it) but was talked out of it because it'd likely cause more problems for many than it'd potentially fix for a few. And as I said it's not hmail's fault people would do something as stupid as putting someone else's domain in their dns or better yet why they'd bitch stuff was broken after they did it.

Why would your web panel let people add domains they don't own? And even if it does why should anyone complain if they add something they shouldn't & it breaks something? Bet these same people call up the hammer company to complain when they smash their finger. lol

echoDreamz
New user
New user

Post by echoDreamz » 2013-06-28 03:37

Sounds good, I see this feature request is being denied.

Thanks!

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2013-06-28 06:14

echoDreamz wrote:Sounds good, I see this feature request is being denied.

Thanks!
I see you're being difficult. No one said it was being denied. If it was denied it'd be in archived feature requests. No one said it would be done either. You've given your input & I assume voted so leave it at that or download the source & have at it.

Just like any new features it boils down to many factors including input from users, voting and how much it'll benefit hmail & the community but also if it follows RFC's or if risks it'll break something but also if someone VOLUNTEERS to do the work to make it happen. That's the part you seem to forget about. Everyone here is a volunteer. People moaning & complaining makes me NOT want to work on hmail. On the other hand I've jumped at the chance to help someone out if their needs were reasonable and they were nice & appreciative about it. Just ask the people who I've patched issues for & posted an experimental release the same day or even given custom builds to people for things needed urgently sometimes within hours. But I have zero inclination to help out someone being unnecessarily argumentative especially when I don't really see the feature benefiting hmail or the general hmail community to begin with. Perhaps someone else will & they can work on it & see if martin will accept the changes into the official code.

Btw check out the feature request results & you'll see adding DNS settings to hmail isn't even in the top 50 and there are many features requested YEARS longer: http://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=24883
Bill

echoDreamz
New user
New user

Post by echoDreamz » 2013-06-28 06:18

Oh yeah, totally being argumentative... Pitching my case and having some snide ass developer give his 2 cents back why I have untrained monkeys is not argumentative, no not at all. Great you are a volunteer, congrats, here is your cookie. Does that give you the right to go around judging the people who use this server, their setups etc. Maybe you should have jumped at the chance to help instead of putting your 2 stupid ass cents in.

I was simply stating why this would benefit in my specific case (maybe others too), you seem to think you are some magical super mail server AD genius monkey and want to ARGUE about why it is not needed. You could have just sit back, shut your mouth and listened instead of being a smart ass. I am sure there are plenty of other feature requests, that is fine. I was simply +1ing my vote for this feature if it ever gets implemented, obviously the "developers" are totally against this idea, so I doubt it will ever be seen.

Instead you wanted to run your mouth about how our control panel shouldn't allow anyone to add domains that they don't own (when really, I've never used a hosting control panel that magically knows which domain I own). Could we add checks, sure, but customers dont want to be bothered with "verification". Really, 99% wont ever add domains they dont own. But that 1% that does causes issues.

I would still love to know what "problems" hMailserver has with using its own DNS resolvers...

Thanks again!

EDIT: BTW... Now I am being difficult and argumentative...

DeanoX
Senior user
Senior user

Post by DeanoX » 2013-06-28 07:14

Now you are just acting like a douche bag.

You are trying to get an email server, to compensate for your screwed up hosting panel.

I suggest that you maybe just stick with smartermail then, since it has the feature, you seem to need.
hMailServer 5.4.2-1964, mysql, ClamAV, SpamAssassin, SquirrelMail, GeoIP.
hMailServer Support Services for US Based Clients.
Low Rates, Quick Service. Send a Private Message for More Information.

echoDreamz
New user
New user

Post by echoDreamz » 2013-06-28 07:24

Totally. And just about every other control panel their is on the market...

You are right, I am being a douche bag because someone else wants to prance around like a know-it-all princess. And I will stick with SmarterMail, at least they don't bombard you with smart ass remarks about monkeys when you offer a feature request that they dont seem to like.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2013-06-28 07:36

echoDreamz wrote:Maybe you should have jumped at the chance to help instead of putting your 2 stupid ass cents in.
Bill48105 wrote:...or (you could) download the source & have at it.
+1
echoDreamz wrote:And I will stick with SmarterMail, at least they don't bombard you with smart ass remarks about monkeys when you offer a feature request that they dont seem to like.
Great.
See you!

Don't rush back now. We don't need argumentative people here. We have enough to deal with helping those who are civil.
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

echoDreamz
New user
New user

Post by echoDreamz » 2013-06-28 07:53

echoDreamz wrote:And I will stick with SmarterMail, at least they don't bombard you with smart ass remarks about monkeys when you offer a feature request that they dont seem to like.
Great.
See you!

Don't rush back now. We don't need argumentative people here. We have enough to deal with helping those who are civil.[/quote]

Perhaps you should look at your own argumentative "developers", I simply gave a suggestion on a feature request. Then was bombarded by idiotic remarks about my suggestion.

DeanoX
Senior user
Senior user

Post by DeanoX » 2013-06-28 07:55

Nice one dude. But, everyone here is a volunteer. There is NO official support. Duhhhhh.

echoDreamz
New user
New user

Post by echoDreamz » 2013-06-28 07:56

DeanoX wrote:Nice one dude. But, everyone here is a volunteer. There is NO official support. Duhhhhh.
I never said anyone was here to support me, I know this is (was) and Open source project. Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

DeanoX
Senior user
Senior user

Post by DeanoX » 2013-06-28 07:57

You sure didn't act like it.

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2013-06-28 16:13

Duplicate request with poll is here: http://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=22436

And as a great man once said:
mattg wrote:Don't rush back now. We don't need argumentative people here. We have enough to deal with helping those who are civil.

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2014-02-08 08:07

2014-02-08 5.4-B2014020801
* IMPORTANT: This build has a LOT of extra debug logging by default. Disable using [Settings]LogLevel=7 or lower
* Added ability to set custom DNS servers in INI DnsServers=192.168.1.33
* Only 1 DNS server for now! IPv6 compatibility UNKNOWN

http://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewto ... 10&t=21420