Changing Account name - Progress Indicator ?

Use this forum if you want to suggest a new feature to hMailServer. Before posting, please search the forum to confirm that it has not already been suggested.
hellfyr
New user
New user

Changing Account name - Progress Indicator ?

Postby hellfyr » 2017-11-08 23:49

Would be helpful in the administration interface to have a progress indicator of some sort when renaming an Address.
If the mailbox is of any significant size, the admin interface is essentially "hung up" until that copy of data completes from old to new folder.

I killed the admin thinking it was locked up, while a 1G mailbox was "renaming" and in reality it was just this long copy process running and running and running...

Dunno if maybe it would help to spin it off to a background worker thread of something similar ???

Just throwing out ideas.

Thanks

mattg

Re: Changing Account name - Progress Indicator ?

Postby mattg » 2017-11-09 00:53

Great idea

(along with an 'are you sure?' type prompt)
What question should we add for others to vote on?
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

estradis
Normal user
Normal user

Postby estradis » 2017-11-29 15:20

I already did it multiple times and found only one pitfall. You need to stop hms and rename the database entry as well as the user directory manually before starting hms again.

Here is how it works:
1. stop hMailserver service
2. rename folder in data directory
3. rename the account in database
4. start hMailserver service

It always worked without problems.

jimimaseye

Postby jimimaseye » 2017-11-29 17:07

hellfyr wrote:If the mailbox is of any significant size, the admin interface is essentially "hung up" until that copy of data completes from old to new folder.

I killed the admin thinking it was locked up, while a 1G mailbox was "renaming" and in reality it was just this long copy process running and running and running...

Yes, this seems to be the same ;logic as following a rename of a DOMAIN.

we already have a warning in the DOMAIN documentation:
IMPORTANT: When EDITING (renaming) an existing domain be aware that the process can take some time to complete and you will temporarily need double the disk space taken by the old domain data directory. This is due to the process actually creating a data directory for the new domain and then copying all email data from the old domain at operating system level before then deleting the old domain directory. Depending on the old domain data size and processor power, this copying could take many minutes. It is advised to restrict email use for the old domain whilst the copying of this data is taking place and to monitor for the process completion by watching for the old domain data directory to finally be deleted.

@Mattg

We should replicate a similar warning in the ACCOUNT documentation too.
HMS 5.6.6 B2383 on Win Server 2008 R2 Foundation, + 5.6.7-B2415 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

mattg

Postby mattg » 2017-11-29 23:32

estradis wrote:I already did it multiple times and found only one pitfall. You need to stop hms and rename the database entry as well as the user directory manually before starting hms again.

Here is how it works:

I've changed domain and account names previously using the GUI and not had to do this. Did you make these changes INSTEAD of allowing hMailserver to make these changes itself after changing the GUI?
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.

mattg

Postby mattg » 2017-11-30 01:29

jimimaseye wrote:@Mattg

We should replicate a similar warning in the ACCOUNT documentation too.
Done. https://www.hmailserver.com/documentati ... ce_account

estradis
Normal user
Normal user

Postby estradis » 2017-11-30 11:54

mattg wrote:
estradis wrote:I already did it multiple times and found only one pitfall. You need to stop hms and rename the database entry as well as the user directory manually before starting hms again.

Here is how it works:

I've changed domain and account names previously using the GUI and not had to do this. Did you make these changes INSTEAD of allowing hMailserver to make these changes itself after changing the GUI?

It never worked by using the gui, but the issues were some versions ago. Maybe in current version it might be working, but I had no reason to do it yet.

mattg

Postby mattg » 2017-12-01 01:35

Other than the time taken, I don't remember an issue going back to early ver 4 of hMailserver...anyway all good. It certainly works now - you just need to wait (and wait)

estradis
Normal user
Normal user

Postby estradis » 2017-12-01 13:03

mattg wrote:Other than the time taken, I don't remember an issue going back to early ver 4 of hMailserver...anyway all good. It certainly works now - you just need to wait (and wait)

Ah, thank you for the information.
Anyways, is there a reason, the content will be copied instead of renaming the folder?

jimimaseye

Postby jimimaseye » 2017-12-01 14:50

There was a thought that Martin (the author) felt it better this way to handle file locking better.
HMS 5.6.6 B2383 on Win Server 2008 R2 Foundation, + 5.6.7-B2415 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

mattg

Postby mattg » 2017-12-01 22:40

I think also that database records are all upgraded this way as well.

emmageneris
New user
New user

Postby emmageneris » 2017-12-11 21:22

I may have to change my domain in near future. Thanks estradis for the solution. I think this will work.

estradis
Normal user
Normal user

Postby estradis » 2017-12-13 11:46

emmageneris wrote:I may have to change my domain in near future. Thanks estradis for the solution. I think this will work.

I've never tried to change the whole domain. Please let us know the results.

Return to “Feature requests”