a real listserver

This forum contains features that has been archived. This section contains implemented features, duplicate requests, and requests which we have decided not to implement.

Do you need this feature?

Yes
87%
No
13%

Total votes: 62

mj86
New user
New user

a real listserver

Post by mj86 » 2007-05-31 21:35

i would like to have a real listserver in hmailserver
hope any understand what i meen

Kaan1983
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Kaan1983 » 2007-05-31 21:44

Not at all for my side actually

mbach
Normal user
Normal user

Post by mbach » 2007-06-05 02:37

A real listserver would be a great enhancement, because under Windows it is not as easy as under Linux to find a good solution.

Greets, Markus

NeBlackCat
Normal user
Normal user

Post by NeBlackCat » 2007-06-05 05:43

mbach wrote:A real listserver would be a great enhancement, because under Windows it is not as easy as under Linux to find a good solution.

Greets, Markus
I agree. It's one thing I'll definately miss in moving from Mdaemon. Maybe a sub group could be formed to help implement this?

PeterWeb
Normal user
Normal user

Post by PeterWeb » 2007-06-11 10:35

This is in line with other requests I and others made a few months back (can't find the poll now, but it did ok IIRC). Features like a reply-to-list checkbox (default off), option to prefix the list name on the subject line [like this], add a default list footer, and so on.

Their lack is the only thing that's stopped us moving to hMailserver completely at this point - right now, it's still just for play and learning.

Asynchronous
New user
New user

Post by Asynchronous » 2007-06-29 21:08

I miss an other option : automaticaly remove adresses from distribution list if SMTP result is false...

lmadison
New user
New user

Post by lmadison » 2007-08-23 06:16

add a default list footer
PeterWeb -- I second that! This would allow for subscribe/unsubscribe instructions apended to all messages sent to the distribution list.

Thanks, Rem 8)

g0yjs0
Senior user
Senior user

Post by g0yjs0 » 2007-08-23 17:00

I think it would be better to fork this off into its own project or a plugin: hListServer. ;) However, my only concern with running a list server is that I'm afraid it will get the main server's IP banned for spam. (It all depends on if people report it as spam, whether they signed up for it or not.) If your server gets tagged, then all mail--legit or illegit--ends up getting blocked.

Otherwise, I do think there is a need for a good free listserver for Windows.

PeterWeb
Normal user
Normal user

Post by PeterWeb » 2007-08-23 23:27

prodjtech wrote:However, my only concern with running a list server is that I'm afraid it will get the main server's IP banned for spam. (It all depends on if people report it as spam, whether they signed up for it or not.) If your server gets tagged, then all mail--legit or illegit--ends up getting blocked.
We run dozens of list-servers for ourselves, clients and associates, have done for years. List-servers are two-way communication tools - used properly, they don't result in complaints of spam. The current hMailserver capabilities in this area don't easily allow them to be used properly.

mj86
New user
New user

Post by mj86 » 2007-09-28 15:47

PeterWeb wrote:
prodjtech wrote:However, my only concern with running a list server is that I'm afraid it will get the main server's IP banned for spam. (It all depends on if people report it as spam, whether they signed up for it or not.) If your server gets tagged, then all mail--legit or illegit--ends up getting blocked.
We run dozens of list-servers for ourselves, clients and associates, have done for years. List-servers are two-way communication tools - used properly, they don't result in complaints of spam. The current hMailserver capabilities in this area don't easily allow them to be used properly.
PeterWeb
wich listserver do you run?

PeterWeb
Normal user
Normal user

Post by PeterWeb » 2007-10-08 00:31

mj86 wrote: wich listserver do you run?
Software, you mean? We use the list-server functionality built in to a two-year old version of FTGate for Windows (commercialware). It handles lists fine, but has other defects which I'd rather move away from.

Edoardo
New user
New user

Post by Edoardo » 2008-01-25 17:44

Let me see if I can jolt down a few "spec-like" indication on what I think it coud be usefull (even summarizing things seen in the thread).

I'm aware that most of these things can be accomplished with scripting but embedding them in the product will represent IMHO a great value for this awesome product.

Also, most of the things I'm describing here are in term's of UI for their meaning shoud be evident. I'm using hyphens to indent content for readability. This is meant to be helpful for devs, not as a criticsm and I'm willing to further elaborate this and actively help in development.

:)

- The "distribution lists" item in each domain tree should be changed to "Lists" (reason will be evident in a few lines).
- The "active" checkbox may be renamed to "mail enabled".

- The "Mode" bold group of controls should be renamed to "Distribution".
-- This needs to include a fourth option called "Announcements - only allow messages from the following list". It should accept any defined list in the server, regardless of the "active/mail enabled" status thus effectively allowing to both use group of senders and "list of list managers".

- A new tab should be introduced between the General and the Members called "Mode".
-- A sender radio button group with
--- Original sender (the "distribution list" mode: from sender to list)
--- List address (the "mailing list" mode: from list to recipient)
--- Specific address (a "hidden membership" mode, from specific address to list) with relative text boxes for specifying the address
-- A "reply-to" header checkbox with relative text boxes for specifying the address
-- An "Echo" checkbox that controls wheter the sending engine sends a received email to the sender if the sender is in the recipients list.
-- An "Attachment" radio button group with
--- Any attachment allowed
--- Wildcard alowance text box to input wildcard matches for attachment names
--- Strip all attachments (this will not stip s/mime signature or alternate formats such as HTML)
-- A "Maximum messages size" textbox as now exists, but controlled per list.
-- A "Subject Tag" text box (used to input whatever tag you want to prefix subjects with)
-- A "Footer" multiline text box (used to input whatever footer you want appended in your emails) (HTML aware?)
-- A "Bound Script" that simplifies, in the UI here, the execution of a specific script for messages that list.
- The "Members" tab
-- Should ideally allow for display names of the addresses
-- Needs a button "Import" that raises a dialog to paste a comma/tab/space/semicolon series of address to be bulk imported.

Also, the sender engine should be intelligent enough to skip duplicates when sending to list that recurse other lists with the some common recipients.

With this kind of configurability, virtually any configuration can be achieved allowing a great flexibility. Ok, I agree that some of them can be deprecable but there could be always good reasons to require them.

Ok, I realize this ain't exactly a "vanilla" request but at least I hope it is reasonably detailed.

mbach
Normal user
Normal user

Re: a real listserver

Post by mbach » 2009-02-14 22:19

And maybe an archive feature!!!

- Use PHPAdmin of hM with a special login to list the archived mails of the corresponding distribution list.

So there would be at last a software, especially for windows, which is able to work like a Google/Yahoo mailing list.
That would be really terrific!!! :D And you could organize your private groups, friends and social groups within hM.

Cheers, Markus

andyp
Normal user
Normal user

Post by andyp » 2009-02-25 19:18

I posted a beta version of a script doing this in development section.

ruffage
New user
New user

Post by ruffage » 2009-06-02 19:14

Very well thought out request list, but I would like to expand a little bit more.

Under the list users properties, it would be useful to allow one of three states of members of the list instead of accepting the setting given the list in total.

Example:
List one has 6 members. List is set to primarily be members only.
members 1 to 3 can send to the list and receive emails from it. (Read/Write)
member 4 can send to list but not receive emails from it. (Write)
members 5 to 6 can receive emails from it but not send to it. (Read)

As I was using 5.1.2, I wasn't sure if this feature had been added yet.

If this should have been a separate posting I will create one.

Thanks

ratta-tat
New user
New user

Post by ratta-tat » 2009-06-03 09:10

Absolutely my thing. I migrated my Mailserver from Mercury to hMailServer and that's a feature I'm really missing. In Mercury there were a lot of settings available to create smooth distribution lists.

Hope such a feature will be implemented soon....

Regards
Björn

sheffters
Senior user
Senior user

Post by sheffters » 2009-07-07 22:25

I'd find this very useful as well.

Cheers

Ian.

andyp
Normal user
Normal user

Post by andyp » 2009-09-13 22:33

You can do this by the script posted. Just add the addresses which should receive mail to the list and add the addresses which should send email to the list to the allowaddresses= parameter. Set allowmembers=true and operator=and and pw=something_strange. Done.

l.vm
New user
New user

Post by l.vm » 2009-11-27 12:21

As it is possible to have external e-mail adresses in a distributionlist it may be interresting to have a column (field) the e-mail owner's name and one for its company.
A plus would be being able import e-mail lists through a CVS file.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2009-11-27 13:43

Double (or triple) post.

answered >> http://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewto ... 415#p99415
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation