Whitelist on reverse dns (or sth similar)

This forum contains features that has been archived. This section contains implemented features, duplicate requests, and requests which we have decided not to implement.

Would you use that?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 3

DjGL
New user
New user

Whitelist on reverse dns (or sth similar)

Post by DjGL » 2007-05-11 21:31

Hi,

I hope I do not post sth that has already been requested but I found nothing similar in this forum.

I would find it useful to add an additional feature to this new whitelist feature of version 4.4. I would like to have the possibility to whitelist on base of the senders mailserverhost (not IP).

Otherwise I have no possibility to whitelist all servers of a provider because normally I do not know all their mailservers IPs (especially on bigger providers).

For example:
All reverse DNS entries of hotmail mailservers ends with *.hotmail.com (or *.bay0.hotmail.com?) .. whitelisting on base of that would be nice to avoid false positives of @hotmail.com mails.

Whitelisting of all *@hotmail.com adresses as it is possible right now is not useful because as everyone know a mailadress can be easily faked and spam is often sent with @hotmail.com adresses.

I know also reverse DNS entries can be faked.

Maybe someone has additional ideas for making this feature more proof.

I'm interested in your feedback.

Best regards
Günther

DjGL
New user
New user

Post by DjGL » 2007-06-30 13:44

Does anyone have an idea how to whitelist a whole provider without knowing all their mailservers ip adresses??

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2007-06-30 13:54