Routing through a gateway for specific domains.

This forum contains features that has been archived. This section contains implemented features, duplicate requests, and requests which we have decided not to implement.
nickp
New user
New user

Routing through a gateway for specific domains.

Post by nickp » 2004-07-03 19:00

Most broadbands have a psuedo static IP address. I.e. it almost never changes but technically it is dynamic. Some organisatons, notably AOL, refuse email from dynamic IP addresses.

This could be solved if an external gateway could be specified with a list of destination domains the gateway should be used for.

Ideally it should be possible to specify that AUTH is needed on the gateway with the requisite information.

Thanks

Nick

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2004-07-03 19:49

You can specify a gateway/smtp relayer today in hmailserver. Not sure what else is needed?

nickp
New user
New user

SMTP relay

Post by nickp » 2004-07-03 23:17

AUTH capability on the relayer is definitely needed. Unlikely to find a gateway that didn't need AUTH as it would be an open relay.

Need to specify which domains should go through the relay. By way of justification : DynDDNS.org offers 'Mailhop outbound' to get around the dynamic IP blocking but you pay based on volume. I only want the emails I can't send direct to go through the pay service.

I have seen two solutions that work fine:
IMail : You can specify a gateway to use if the mail is rejected more than a specified number of times.
XMail : For each destination domain you can specify a relay.

Personally I think just adding a simple list of destination domains that the relay should be applied to would be great.

HMailserver is a great product and as soon as this feature is there I will switch.

Thanks

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2004-07-03 23:21

OK. Please look through the tracker before posting idéas. The "route" feature planned for 3.3 will have the feature you say exists in XMail.