Support for Linux

This forum contains features that has been archived. This section contains implemented features, duplicate requests, and requests which we have decided not to implement.

Do you need this feature?

Yes
41%
No
59%

Total votes: 80

abliss26
New user
New user

not quit as good as hmailserver

Post by abliss26 » 2006-02-13 07:18

Linux admins, I found a really decent Linux mailserver called axigent (http://www.axigen.com/mail-server/) ; I have not used it nearly as much as hmailserver (and would def. use an hmailserver port to linux over axigen) however this app seems pretty good until (hopefully) hmailserver is fully ported to linux

FAWTS
Normal user
Normal user

Post by FAWTS » 2006-04-17 23:40

Hi all,

I haven't written for a while. The reasons are :
1) As hMailServer works perfeclty with all the features I need, I had nothing to ask for!!!
2) I have discovered Ubuntu and it is the first OS that made me able to forget definitively Windows. I've worked a lot on this, trying to find default, but I never found anyone. The comunity is very active and I always found answers to my issues.

Well, if my server is still using Windows, it is because I haven't found a mailserver as good as HMailServer under Linux. Maybe we should open a project on sourceforge.net to port HMailServer under inux ?
Apache 1.3.33 PHP Version 4.4 hMailServer 4.1-B136 OS : Win XP SP2 AV : ClamAV 0.86.1

cohcon
New user
New user

linux port

Post by cohcon » 2006-06-07 04:17

I run both windows and linux systems. Primarily redhat, suse, or debian based. Though I do most of my administration via ssh from the command line, I do install the gui on these systems for various reasons and it just gives me more options and makes the servers all the more versatile.

The best mail server that I have ever used any OS is the Kerio Mailserver and it runs on both windows and linux. hmailserver looks and feels very much like kms, but not as polished or with as many features. kms is awesome and can even integrate into active directory like exchange. Kerio's webmail is also second to none.

The admin tool for kms runs on my local desktop and connects remotely via a secure port. It allows me to run the mail server headless and admin it remotely.

It is not free, but you can download a free, fully functioning version of kms at http://www.kerio.com for 30 days.

Though it's configuration of config files, I would be absolutely lost without the kerio admin tool.

I would really love to see hmailserver ported to linux, but as the kerio developers would tell you, you have to pick a flavor like redhat or one or two others to support due to the different architecture of the systems and the various versions of libraries and where they are loaded on the systems.

Even if the admin could only be ran on windows to begin with and the server on either windows or linux, it would be awesome and really boost the support and visibility of hmailserver.

Conn

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2006-06-07 09:28

FAWTS wrote: 2) I have discovered Ubuntu and it is the first OS that made me able to forget definitively Windows.
I tried Ubuntu OS a while back and I really really didn't like it. I ended up going to Fedora Core. The reason I did not like it was because it was too much like windows. I thought why bother having a linux windows when I can just use windows. :)

Seems like a good alternative though for people that really do want to get away from microsoft but would be lost going to debian etc.

I would like to see a linux port of hmail just because I personally think it is one of the best mailservers around and will only get better over time. A linux port would just make this product more viable for more people, that and its not very often that people want a windows application porting to linux lol...

Thats just my opinion though ;)

Cheers!
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

ajw
Normal user
Normal user

Post by ajw » 2006-06-07 16:14

Virtual machines would be a great way to run hMailServer on a Linux box, or do the port to Linux (running Linux on a Windows box).

I've just started playing with Ubuntu (version 6.06, newly released on 6/1/06) running in Virtual PC 2004 (which I *think* is now a freebie from Microsoft - not positive on that, but I think it is...)

A few glitches installing it in Virtual PC (and one screen-size glitch on a Windows box I tried to dual-boot install it in) and the installation isn't a total no-brainer unless you're wiping out everything already on the box (have to do partitioning, and it's not as hand-in-hand guided walkthrough as I'd like for newbies - which I consider myself... My father-in-law would be lost during the partitioning part of the install - and if he accidentally reformatted his drive and lost everything it'd be the last time he'd ever touch Linux...)
(for a virtual machine you're using a "new" virtual hard drive, so you can just let it do the defaults - "formatting" the virtual hard drive is fine)
The wikipage at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HowToConfigureU ... tualPC2004 is helpful for installing on VPC2004, although I didn't need anything more than "install it in video safe mode" - didn't have to do the rescue mode stuff at all.
And to get the cursor "out" of the virtual Ubuntu window, use the right ALT key (I really should've read the VPC2004 help docs before I started using it... :)

It'd be a way to play with porting for anyone not interested in running a full Linux machine - run the dev tools in a virtual Linux.

I also am running Windows XP as a second virtual machine on my notebook (again using Virtual PC 2004; and my notebook's running XP as the host OS) - it runs surprisingly fast. I haven't installed all the gorp I have on my notebook - and won't; I want to use the virual machine as a testbed for new software, and to try to figure out why my notebook goes catatonic every few days... Firefox is subjectively faster in the VPC than "for real".
And it doesn't "lock" the cusor into the virtual machine - just move the mouse onto the virtual machine's window and you're using the virtual machine, move it out and you're back to using the host - seamless and very convenient!

Running a virtual Windows box under linux would be a great way to run hMailServer if you don't want to set up a Windows box. The load on a "normal" mailserver is so light that running it in a virtual machine isn't going to be a problem at all.

It does use a bit of disk space, but not unreasonable - my Ubuntu virtual machine (with the default software installed, and a bunch of additional software) is 3Gb, my Windows XP virtual machine (with XP SP2 and anti-virus and Firefox with a few extensions) is 1.8Gb - not unreasonable for a good-sized notebook hard drive, and trivial for a desktop machine.

RAM is a bigger issue, although it seems like the virtual machines don't mind less RAM than I'd give a real machine (not sure why not; my virtual XP machine "has" 256Mb and runs beautifully; I wouldn't run a real machine with less than 512, and preferably a gig or more - even my notebook has 1GB of RAM...)

In the past few days I've become a big fan of virtualization... It's come a long ways since long-ago when I first tried it.

- Al Weiner -

cohcon
New user
New user

Post by cohcon » 2006-06-07 17:36

Actually I found the default gui on ubuntu much more like the old mac than windows, however my favorite x environment is xfce.

hmailserver on linux would be the most serious free mailserver out for linux as it would be able to be ran and restored on either windows or linux. A huge plus in the Disaster Recovery arena...

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2006-06-07 17:55

As far as I know, there are several free servers that can run both on Windows and Linux. XMailserver is one.

cohcon
New user
New user

Post by cohcon » 2006-06-07 19:56

Yes, but they lack the polish, ease of use, and flexibility of hmailserver or kerio.

FAWTS
Normal user
Normal user

Post by FAWTS » 2006-06-11 16:40

^DooM^ wrote:
FAWTS wrote: 2) I have discovered Ubuntu and it is the first OS that made me able to forget definitively Windows.
I tried Ubuntu OS a while back and I really really didn't like it. I ended up going to Fedora Core. The reason I did not like it was because it was too much like windows. I thought why bother having a linux windows when I can just use windows. :)

Seems like a good alternative though for people that really do want to get away from microsoft but would be lost going to debian etc.
I tried Red Hat, Fedora Core, Mandriva, Suse, but I got too many problems with them (Red Hat : No Way to make my Ralink working, Suse : No Xserver, Mandriva broke my DVD writer). With Ubuntu, everything essential works and the system is very stable. That gives you the time to discover linux without having to go back to Windows as soon as you need to go on the internet, printing... Now, I'm able to write sh files, I use more and more often the console, I know very well how the hard drive is built...

After 6 month, I don't boot anymore on Windows, that's cool because I won't have too buy a new computer when Vista will be ready!!!

And the Ubuntu community is a lot more friendly and active than the others. Another thing I like with Ubuntu, it's that there only is a free version!
Apache 1.3.33 PHP Version 4.4 hMailServer 4.1-B136 OS : Win XP SP2 AV : ClamAV 0.86.1

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2006-06-11 23:11

Hey Fawts,

I totally agree its a good OS but imo its too much like windows. Again if thats the sort of thing you like then fair play to you. I personally did not like it but then you cannot please everyone all the time :)

Slug

Post by Slug » 2006-06-12 07:06

Any of you linux dudes tried this ?

http://www.pclinuxos.com

Michael
Missing Hmailserver ... Now running Debian servers

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2006-06-12 09:49

I had not heard of that one. I will have to have a play now :) Thanks for the link..

Slug

Post by Slug » 2006-06-12 11:13

When you finish, give me an update on what you think.

Michael
Missing Hmailserver ... Now running Debian servers

westdam
Senior user
Senior user

Post by westdam » 2007-07-08 01:27

^DooM^ wrote:

Thats just my opinion though ;)

Cheers!
i completely agree with you.. ubuntu is great, tested on my laptop and works perfectly.....but it's windows!! hehehe anyway it's a good solutions for people who know " a bit" windows and dont want to pay for it...

mccrashman
New user
New user

Re: Support for Linux

Post by mccrashman » 2008-04-11 08:30

I don't know if this topic is closed or forgotten, but i would like to know if there is any activity to port hmailserver to linux.

Last month i have replaced my old windows 2k server with a new one, which i had decided to run under linux. I have found many alternatives for the services i had on the w2k server (example: cvsnt->svn, Filezilla->Proftp ...), but for the hmailserver i havn't found any. So i have set up a VM which runs w2k an hmailserver, but that can't be the solution.

There are many mailserver for linux, but none like hmailserver. For the most server i have to add many packages an configure 2 or more services. But the most important is, that i havn't found any backup solution like hmailserver has.

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2008-04-11 09:23

No there has been no progress on porting hMail to linux and probably never will be with hMail V5 going closed source.

mccrashman
New user
New user

Post by mccrashman » 2008-04-11 11:31

^DooM^ wrote:No there has been no progress on porting hMail to linux and probably never will be with hMail V5 going closed source.
I thought, that there are more users which wanted to use hMail with linux, so that there would be a port in future. Of course it won't be easy but i think that it isn't impossible.

If hMail V5 is closed source, the source-code of V4.X can still be used?

Rainer
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Rainer » 2008-04-11 12:09

Hello @ll, I think its better to concentrate the power of the developers to one plattform! :lol:
There are many MTA for the Linux-Plattform available; isn't it?

Kind regards :)
Rainer Noa

mccrashman
New user
New user

Post by mccrashman » 2008-04-11 12:30

Rainer wrote:Hello @ll, I think its better to concentrate the power of the developers to one plattform! :lol:
Yes, of course there are many MTA for linux. It was only a thought that it might be a good idea, but sometimes i am wrong.

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2008-04-12 19:21

The fact that hMailServer is closed source doens't prevent it from being ported (by me) to Linux. But people who chooses Linux appears to like software which is hard to install and config so I doubt hMailServer would fit for it... ;) Seriously, porting it to Linux would be a lot of work and I doubt it would be worth it. Hence it's not in the plans... :)

mccrashman
New user
New user

Post by mccrashman » 2008-04-16 10:39

@martin: If you have finished the port, i would like to test it. ;)

In the last few days i have decided to help an open source mailserver project. And if it gets released, i won't need hMailserver anymore. It a little bit pity, because hMailserver is a very good MTA.

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2008-04-16 11:55

martin wrote:Hence it's not in the plans... :)

westdam
Senior user
Senior user

Post by westdam » 2008-04-16 16:23

what about to close this thread? martin wont port it to linux in the near future so it's useless to continue.

if someone port it to linux can open a new topic. isnt't it?