Adjustible Anti-Spam Service for Each Domain

This forum contains features that has been archived. This section contains implemented features, duplicate requests, and requests which we have decided not to implement.
MehmetDelen
New user
New user

Adjustible Anti-Spam Service for Each Domain

Post by MehmetDelen » 2013-05-11 20:15

Some companies would like to see all emails even spam.
On the other hand, some companies do not want to see spam.
If the company would like to see spam email they are loggining to email from webmail interface than moving spam mails to Inbox. In this point, if anti-spam service can be adjust for each email differently the service can be more quaility and beneficial.

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Adjustible Anti-Spam Service for Each Domain

Post by percepts » 2013-05-12 01:47

your anti spam program ( spamassassin ? ) can/does put spam headers in mail. You can run a global (for domain level) or account level rule to look at spam headers and decide where spam goes. The rule can run a script if you want to get clever about it. i.e. the capability is already available. Its down to you to implement it.

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2013-05-12 02:00

percepts wrote:your anti spam program ( spamassassin ? ) can/does put spam headers in mail. You can run a global (for domain level) or account level rule to look at spam headers and decide where spam goes. The rule can run a script if you want to get clever about it. i.e. the capability is already available. Its down to you to implement it.
This is essentially how I do it percepts you just beat me to replying. :D For my setup here I set hmail to not alter subject but add header & only delete insanely high scoring emails. That way I can have a server-wide rule that checks the header score & acts on that for everyone, moving messages to each user's 'Spam' folder. I set the score quite high to avoid false positives but catch obvious spam. For spam-bait users who get 1000's per day even with default filters I give the option of adding the same rule to their user box but with a lower score that way it catches more than the server-wide one. If done right it works quite well in filtering obvious spam for everyone with very little risk of filtering legit mail. Btw if someone is a spam-lover (or pisses me off lol) I can add their email address to the global rule to disable it if needed.

Btw MehmetDelen, please check for existing feature requests before posting as pretty much every one you suggested has already been suggested or discussed at length. Understand that there is a lot of criteria that goes into deciding which features are worked on & make it into hmailserver but a big one is if it can already be done with rules/scripts because that's why they are there.. The idea is to keep hmailserver as lean as possible & not bloated with tons of things most people won't use. The beauty of rules/scripts is it makes it so you can expand hmailserver yourself without changing the source code. If something would benefit the masses & not weigh down hmailserver and can be done a lot more efficiently in hmailserver then often those things make it in but otherwise don't hold your breath. ;)
Bill
hMailServer build LIVE on my servers: 5.4-B2014050402
#hmailserver on FreeNode IRC https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#hmailserver
*** ABSENT FROM hMail! Those in IRC know how to find me if urgent. ***

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2013-05-12 18:32

one web host I use for a client runs spamassassin. They only delete very high scores otherwise they add mail headers without changing subject line.
But instead of putting a spam score number they convert the score to a string of + or - signs. Each + or - minus represents 10 points so that if the score was 25 the string would be ++ or if it was 37 it would be +++. And similarly for minus scores.
The benefit of this is that it becomes much simpler for end users to write rules in their email client to just say

if x-spam header contains ++++ move to spam folder

they don't need to use regex to interpret score. The same would be true of global or account rules in hms.

I don't know spamassassin enough but if it can return those strings could HMS handle them or does it expect a numeric value back from spamassassin. If the latter then it could be a useful option to convert to a string to make it easier for end users to do their own filtering of spam based on score without needing to know about regex

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2013-05-12 19:14

infact in the copy of outlook I have you don't even have regex option in rules.

The point being that passing back a string of + or - signs passes some control back to end user of the sensitivity of spam filtering which can be done in one rule.

MehmetDelen
New user
New user

Post by MehmetDelen » 2013-05-12 19:15

I think there is no need to drill down so much.
- I want to spams. Subject line [Spam] Add. Receive inbox.
- I want to spams. Move your spam folder.
- I do not want spams.
3 options will be sufficient.

This third option is set individually for each user. It is important.

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2013-05-12 20:05

- I want to spams. Subject line [Spam] Add. Receive inbox.
- I want to spams. Move your spam folder.
- I do not want spams.

first option is already covered by hms admin / settings / anti spam / tick add to message subject

second option is already covered by global rules at domain level or account level rules at user level

third option is already covered by global rules at domain level or account level rules at user level

You just to need to learn about creating rules, global or user level. Thats what they are for.
see following

http://www.hmailserver.com/documentatio ... rence_rule

http://www.hmailserver.com/documentatio ... s_examples

MehmetDelen
New user
New user

Post by MehmetDelen » 2013-05-12 20:50

Written rules apply to all domains.
I want to write rules for each domain separately.
Separate rules for each user or even write it.

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2013-05-12 21:14

Please engage brain.

if the rule says where to contains domain name then it only applies to that domain and then you can say And subject conatins [SPAM] etc

mattg

Post by mattg » 2013-05-13 01:28

Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation