Wildcards in Domain Names

This forum contains features that has been archived. This section contains implemented features, duplicate requests, and requests which we have decided not to implement.

Do you need this feature?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 4

phill
New user
New user

Wildcards in Domain Names

Post by phill » 2005-08-15 21:52

Here's my scenario: I'm writing an automated email processing system that encodes information (i.e. a hex code) in the domain name.

To do this I need the ability to configure a new domain to include wildcards (primarily just the prefix), for example *.mydomain.com. In this example all incoming mail would be sent to the specified catch-all account, i.e. tom@0e45f3aac0.mydomain.com, tom@21cd5fac0e.mydomain.com would be caught by *.mydomain.com and sent to the same catch-all account.

Once caught an automated program will read the email from hmail via pop3 and be able to decode the embedded data.

There are potentially lots of uses for this kind of feature when producing automated email processing systems. (I know that one could embed the data in the user name, ie. 0e45f3aac0@mydomain.com but using the domain name provides a lot more flexibility (and user readability))

If a general wildcard facility adds too much complexity then a flag against a domain (something like 'except prefixed domain name') would work as well.