Has development of hMailServer stopped?

This forum contains features that has been archived. This section contains implemented features, duplicate requests, and requests which we have decided not to implement.
freemailer
Banned

Has development of hMailServer stopped?

Post by freemailer » 2011-03-10 00:30

Since months there is no new release and version 5.4 seems more far away
now compared to when it was announced. Is hms abandoned by Martin?

Rael
New user
New user

Re: Has development of hMailServer stopped?

Post by Rael » 2011-03-10 01:28

I have the same question. And also, what are the promises and intentions for the version 5.4?
Thanks!

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2011-03-10 11:48

hmail is in BETA stage. If you would like hmail to be released quicker into stable, how about you test it and report back your findings? More beta testers there are the faster it can be put up as stable. There was an issue with buffering and stability which pushed hmail release back and Martin is I am sure quite busy with his other commitments as well.

The source is available if you would like to take up development.
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

freemailer
Banned

Post by freemailer » 2011-03-10 12:49

I think it's all about communication. If you don't say you need more testers, nobody will test.
If you don't tell the community what's going on, you will get such questions.
Nobody cares if Martin takes a small brake or has other commitments. But it
would be nice to know what's going on.

And I can take up development. But what will I do with my patches when Martin is back
and rewrote some parts I have changed? Much work for nothing.
So some short information on what's going on would be nice.

Rael
New user
New user

Post by Rael » 2011-03-10 17:37

I'm in production environment, but after reading that some people use the beta version from months, without flaws, I upgraded, and for now it meets the expectations.

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2011-03-10 19:29

freemailer wrote:If you don't say you need more testers, nobody will test.
Being in Beta implies requiring beta testers.
freemailer wrote:And I can take up development. But what will I do with my patches when Martin is back and rewrote some parts I have changed? Much work for nothing.
You would submit your changes to the SVN like everyone else for approval.

freemailer
Banned

Post by freemailer » 2011-03-10 22:01

freemailer wrote:You would submit your changes to the SVN like everyone else for approval.
And how do I know if it's worth doing it if there is no statement what's going on?

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2011-03-11 11:19

freemailer wrote:And how do I know if it's worth doing it if there is no statement what's going on?
That's the whole point of open source, you add to it as and when you feel like it, you don't need permission to add to the source. Martin has the final say on if it will be included in the official build though or you can create your own trunk and update your own copy. If you don't like it you can always ask for a refund ;)

freemailer
Banned

Post by freemailer » 2011-03-11 14:15

I know that. But if there is no statement about what's going on.
How should I know if forking is a good idea. Perhaps Martin will
continue in two months.

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2011-03-12 20:29

I'm sure he will continue when he has the time. Feel free to email martin@hmailserver.com and ask him yourself.

prisma
Senior user
Senior user

Post by prisma » 2011-03-14 15:51

Freemailer, I questioned myself the same. So, Bill gave me the tip to have a look at the changes in SVN. And yes, there are changes made by martin lately (February) :) If you check the issuetracker you can also see that nearly every high and critical issue is solved or not an defect. Personally me, I'm waiting for 2 issues regarding Outlook to be solved, hoping that some diffuse problems I have with Outlook 2010 and hMailserver are solved that way also... this is really sad, but anyway...

Nevertheless I know what you mean, freemailer. I felt the same way, because I had different experiences with the UltraVNC forum of Rudi de Vos for example. But I think, open source projects are hardly comparable with each other. Rudi works more in front of the forum, more visible inside the forum, has more correspondence with end-users. This does not mean, that the development is going faster. Martin works more behind the scene, this doesn't mean that the development is going slower.

Yes, more Beta testers would be nice. I want the release also. But hard to say whose fault it is ;)

Cheers Greg.

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2011-03-14 16:19

There should be no fault to assign to anyone. If hMail was for sale and people pay money to Martin for it then I would expect regular updates and information of what's going on, but it's not, the many hundreds of hours Martin has put into this mail server surely earns him some time off to do whatever he feels like? If something is majorly wrong then you can be sure it will be fixed within a few days as has been proven in the past.

hMail in it's current form is a great mail server and works out of the box for 99% of users. The source is available to you should you want to change something. The use of this mail server is a privilege and not a right.

prisma
Senior user
Senior user

Post by prisma » 2011-03-14 17:41

I didn't mean, that there "should" be a fault to assign to anyone, or that a fault is generally assignable. In fact, I wanted to express, that it is hard to introduce improved steps to get more beta testers or to get more response from them. It's more a question going out to everybody. How to improve the beta testing to get faster response (from both sides, dev. and testers) or a wider base of testers?

(We're developing close source software, but it is always the same... )

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2011-03-14 17:53

Unfortunately there are lots of people out there that take and do not give back. There are about 6 beta testers that I know of out of how many users that download hmail? If people do not test the beta's then things will take time. I feel your pain prisma i really do :(

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2011-03-16 00:31

I agree with everything DooM has stated here 100%. We need people to be testing the alphas & betas and the fact they are publicly available should imply people should download & test them or why would martin bother posting?? Guess we need to offer cookies to beta testers or something.. :D

I can't speak for martin but after busting my butt (as in consuming my life for a few months) getting hmail to work how I needed it to so it'd work well enough for me to migrate from my old mail server to hmailsever I needed to focus on my real work. The work that pays my bills, keeps roof over my head & food on the table. Plus focus on family matters such as my young son with an illness who requires a lot of Dr's visits & attention overall. So it is a matter of priorities which we each have of our own. I hope to have some time shortly to work on some hmailserver stuff again but again it comes down to more pressing issues in life.

Btw martin does pop into the forums and IRC from time to time, has been making changes in the background (SVN changelog & issue tracker show that as prisma pointed out) and otherwise he's likely doing his real job as well. So to say dev has stopped just means you're not looking very hard. ;)
Bill
Ps. Did I mention: EVERYONE!! PLEASE TEST alpha's & beta's & report back your findings good & bad!! Thank you. :)
Note: Preferably on a non-production test server and plenty of backups to be safe. Once you upgrade to 5.4 it is VERY difficult to roll back to an earlier version. Even with a backup you risk losing new mail or changes since the backup. More the reason to TEST 1st.
hMailServer build LIVE on my servers: 5.4-B2014050402
#hmailserver on FreeNode IRC https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#hmailserver
*** ABSENT FROM hMail! Those in IRC know how to find me if urgent. ***

mattg

Post by mattg » 2011-03-16 03:39

I've been running 5.3.4 on each of my servers for a while (as long as a few months on one I reckon - whenever it was released - at least a few weeks on all).

I've not seen ANY issues, but then my servers aren't very busy (up to 200 messages per day normal use), and I tend to only used MySQL as the database.

HTH
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2011-03-16 15:11

Cool thanks mattg! Yeah it is helpful to hear any feedback although I think biggest interest is in 5.4 since so much has changed and is also the only thing I have source to besides old 4.x. :D (martin never gave me source for 5.x) But yes martin was looking for input on 5.3.4 as well since he put the time into extending the life of 5.3.x as 5.4 was tested further by incorporating many of the most important fixes like the IOCP queue stuff. Anyway thank for the info & glad to hear 5.3.4 is working well for you. :)
Bill
#hmailserver on FreeNode IRC https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#hmailserver

freemailer
Banned

Post by freemailer » 2011-07-16 23:08

Sorry to revive an old thread.
Seems like the project is really dead and it's time to move on.
I know we had this discussion already.

But martin didn't log in since 6 weeks.
No new post since 4 months.
No new commit since 4 months.
Is there any statement from martin what's going on?

rolaids0
Normal user
Normal user

Post by rolaids0 » 2011-07-16 23:49

Anything you are missing? Any feature requests you need? I think the only issue is the static state of the Alpha/Betas. If something is broken for you, try the beta/alpha and see if that fixes it. If its does, report back. If it doesn't, let people know. There are plenty of free mail servers out there, however, none as simple yet powerful as hMail.

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2011-07-17 01:11

freemailer wrote:Sorry to revive an old thread.
Seems like the project is really dead and it's time to move on.
I know we had this discussion already.

But martin didn't log in since 6 weeks.
No new post since 4 months.
No new commit since 4 months.
Is there any statement from martin what's going on?
martin has a life & is busy with it. He has a real job & life outside of hmail. That is a big reason he made the tough decision to make hmail open source again even though there are plenty of low life's who take advantage of his hard work & sacrifices he's made and many others who don't even bother to thank him. Now these are not his words, this is my take on it.

hmailserver is OPEN which means it is far from dead, feel free to download it & make any changes you like. Or feel free to vote on feature requests or post up your own if you want to help contibute. Take some time out & help out on the forum to give back to the community. And of course you are welcome to move on as no one is keeping you here.

Btw check out the poll I made only 2 months ago & the response so far.
http://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewto ... 10&t=20581
Because of it I believe that martin will likely officially make 5.4 beta if not RC or even release. Aside from issues with Windows 2000 (which 5.3 has as well) and maybe a few minor issues 5.4 appears to be by far the best version of hmailserver yet. So no, hmailserver is not dead. Far from it.
Bill

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2011-07-17 02:51

freemailer wrote:Seems like the project is really dead and it's time to move on.
Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out :roll:

mayodp
New user
New user

Post by mayodp » 2011-07-18 10:40

sorry guys , I have to join the 'me too with the door hitting my ar*e on the way out' ..

it is not about contributing or beta testing or being an open source active contributor , I have 5.3.3 B1879 and have for 6+ months now and its stable .. since the 'shyster' made the rush to production with the open source they had worked on last year , I understand why Martin has gone back to the 'day job' , it pays the bills and this never will .. but that is life and people 'will' steal from you if you let them ..

I have checked into this board regularly to see progress and I can see a lot of very good intent but it's not going to get to a 'production build release' without a project supervisor , timescales and milestones .. and if it were in production who would pick up the bug reports and fix things and when ..

a really great product but the events last year have left this board discussing items of a coding level and not major functionality .. or releases - this is all very good but from a stability view point alarming ..

good luck but sourceforge is full of similar

dm
ps no I am not a freeloader , yes I am a realist

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2011-07-18 16:33

mayodp,
You got some nerve but sadly typical at times with some people who don't appreciate what they have. Easy to say 'not about contributing' when you have a whopping 24 posts under your belt, we've never seen you in IRC and don't recall seeing any feature requests under your name. No worries, not everyone is cut out for helping others as I'm sure you are too busy with YOUR life and faulting martin (and in turn us) for doing the same. Hypocrite comes to mind.. You make it sound like martin left his job to work on hmail (a FREE server even when it wasn't open source so not a means of making a living for him) which makes no sense to say you understand something he didn't do. And btw you make it sound like being taken advantage of is by choice as if martin chooses to have people steal his work & put it out as their own or use it for spamming or other bad things. Guess you've never been a victim of anything cuz you are so careful to not be taken advantage of. Many ludicrous statements from you & surprised I am wasting my time even responding to you but only am because martin is not here at the moment to defend himself. Sad thing is he shouldn't have to as he has done nothing wrong except by your account by not quitting his job to work on a free server that freeloaders like yourself enjoy.

I will agree on the lack of organization & progress in moving forward to an extent but you make it sound like hmail is a business & should be run like a precise machine.. The beauty is that IT IS A FREE SERVER THAT IS OPEN SOURCE SO ANYONE CAN DOWNLOAD & CHANGE TO SUIT THEIR NEEDS WITHOUT ANY OF US!! Just like martin, all of us have paying jobs & life outside of hmail and we VOLUNTEER in our spare time to help out. I have over 2000 posts on here helping out when I can in a little over 1 year plus I contributed to hmail 5.4 source sharing features I felt useful & checking off 3 long awaited feature requests in the process. And the thanks I get is the warm fuzzy feeling from people like you who whine about lack of progress yet probably haven't even tried 5.4 & provided feedback so we know if there are bugs to worry about to help it move forward.. I've spent months running automated tests on 5.4 in various configurations handling millions & millions of emails but that is only so much that proves. What is needed are real people doing real-world tests so we know if it is safe to move forward. I can't count how many times I've asked people to test 5.4 & report back but very few people have vs the 100's of 1000's of people who have downloaded & likely are using prior versions of hmail. We are happy for the effort many have put into helping out with hmail or even just those who appreciate hmail & those who support it but then there are people like yourself who have gall to complain about a free server you admittedly are happily using yet fault us for focusing on the important things in our lives (family & making a living to support them) while you yourself merrily live yours. Pfft.

mayodp: meet door. Door: meet mayodp's arse.
http://www.freelang.net/expressions/goodbye.php
http://users.elite.net/runner/jennifers/goodbye.htm
http://www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/goodbye.htm
http://www.wikihow.com/Say-Goodbye-in-S ... -Languages
Bill

rjk
Normal user
Normal user

Post by rjk » 2011-07-18 17:01

Well stated /rant of the year.
hMailServer 5.5.2-B2129 on Server 2008 R2 VM
MySQL 5.5.25, IIS 7.5, PHP 5.6.2 via FastCGI, RoundCube 1.0.3
XenServer 6.0 on HP DL380 G5 32GB RAM

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2011-07-18 17:24

mayodp wrote:ps no I am not a freeloader , yes I am a realist
You keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better about the crap that you just posted. I stand behind what Bill posted 100% and don't even think about asking for help here in the future because you sir are no longer welcome. Consider yourself banished from the land. :twisted:

freemailer
Banned

Post by freemailer » 2011-07-20 20:41

I know that hMailServer is free and open source. But I don't care.
I like the handling and the features and I'm willing to pay for it.
Perhaps Martin should try to sell support for hMS. I'm willing
to pay 150€ per year and I think there are a lot more who would
pay.

There are a lot of other servers, but they don't fit very well and
I don't want to switch to Linux and I haven't found any other
similar server to hMS.

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2011-07-20 20:45

freemailer,
What is it you are needing different with hmailserver or the support you receive or available? It can't just be lack of change over a given amount of time or your desire to spend money..

In terms of martin receiving compensation, from what I know he stopped accepting donations because they were so few & far between that it wasn't worth the tax hassles he had to deal with. I think paid support had been discussed but martin doesn't have the time to spend on what he does with hmailserver now let alone manage support. (And again doubt he'd receive enough to be worth the government paperwork hassles.) The forums are essentially self-run (obviously with the help of mainly a few people especially the mods) and there are almost always people available to help out in IRC. Like I said before I believe martin's decision to make hmailserver open again was partly due to his lack of time to devote to it so I'd say he's hoping to be less involved in the day to day stuff & not more.
Bill

freemailer
Banned

Post by freemailer » 2011-07-20 21:38

I think you don't understand what I talk about.
In the company, I cannot do the donations.
I need a receipt for it and so on.

And I know that hMS works very well atm. But who knows
what happens with the next Service Pack from MS?
I want to update to the latest patches to be save and
not want to update until hMS is patched.
And with a maintained software, this won't happen.
(We are not talking about 2 weeks until the software
was tested with the new SP)
And I don't care if it's open source. What do you think
how long it takes to find somebody to fix bugs. Open source
is nice, but the software must be maintained and needs an
active community. Everything else is useless.
And don't tell me I can send patches. I don't want to.
What I can is send money.

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2011-07-20 21:54

freemailer wrote:I think you don't understand what I talk about.

And I know that hMS works very well atm. But who knows
what happens with the next Service Pack from MS?
I want to update to the latest patches to be save and
not want to update until hMS is patched.
And with a maintained software, this won't happen.
(We are not talking about 2 weeks until the software
was tested with the new SP)
And I don't care if it's open source. What do you think
how long it takes to find somebody to fix bugs. Open source
is nice, but the software must be maintained and needs an
active community. Everything else is useless.
And don't tell me I can send patches. I don't want to.
What I can is send money.
Here let me try again:
Bill48105 wrote:freemailer,
What is it you are needing different with hmailserver or the support you receive or available? It can't just be lack of change over a given amount of time or your desire to spend money..

In terms of martin receiving compensation, from what I know he stopped accepting donations because they were so few & far between that it wasn't worth the tax hassles he had to deal with. I think paid support had been discussed but martin doesn't have the time to spend on what he does with hmailserver now let alone manage support. (And again doubt he'd receive enough to be worth the government paperwork hassles.) The forums are essentially self-run (obviously with the help of mainly a few people especially the mods) and there are almost always people available to help out in IRC. Like I said before I believe martin's decision to make hmailserver open again was partly due to his lack of time to devote to it so I'd say he's hoping to be less involved in the day to day stuff & not more.
Bill
I wasn't telling you to make a donation! (You can't even if you wanted to) I was using that as an example of someone paying martin for hmail be it licensing of the program, support services or donation. I can't say if martin is open to paid support or not but I'd guess you shouldn't hold your breath. ;)

Yes you have valid points on the unknown in terms of Windows updates etc but you can't tell me every program you use has on-call staff to immediately release new version the minute a new problem is found partly because I'd imagine most companies that develop software assume you will use prudence & common sense when installing updates: Try it on a test server 1st. Don't be 1st person to try it. Read up what others are experiencing. BACKUP before applying. If problem happens uninstall the updates, do system restore or restore from your backup, ETC.

Plus if you consider with hmail 5.3.x when it was closed, if there was a bug or major issue you were forced to wait on martin (like now where he is essentially MIA for weeks/months) vs with 5.4 being open, even if martin is too busy to be around anyone can download the source & modify it if needed. If someone is not capable to do that on their down due to time, inclination or skills then odds are there will be someone like myself or others in the hmail community who'll try to help out if it is a widespread problem. So which sounds better to you? Closed & no martin available or open & no martin available? ;)

Of course you could always run hmailserver on an OS Microsoft doesn't release updates to & then no worries right? :D (That is a joke in case you missed it)

Anyway you can embrace the active hmailserver community & all of those who use & support hmail or you can proclaim the sky is falling about things that may or may not happen. Choice is yours.
Bill

freemailer
Banned

Post by freemailer » 2011-07-20 22:02

Perhaps we should create a poll to see how many people are
willing to pay for service. If there are enough perhaps Martin
thinks about it.

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2011-07-20 22:04

freemailer wrote:Perhaps we should create a poll to see how many people are
willing to pay for service. If there are enough perhaps Martin
thinks about it.
Go for it, sounds like a plan. Feel free to create the poll or come up with the poll options & one of us can create it.
Bill

rolaids0
Normal user
Normal user

Post by rolaids0 » 2011-07-20 22:41

+1 on the poll.

150€ for mail server support? I'd say that's not even close to the standard out there. That price isn't economically viable. More correct for a server that has unlimited domains, unlimited users is several 10's of thousands of € per year.

Does polling here allow free answer?

Seems freemailer wants enterprise level of support, in free software. You can get that, for many thousands of euro (minimum) a year. If you NEED that level of support, I would say you need a dedicated person to monitor and run the mail servers. I would require that the dedicated person know C++ fairly well in the event they have to fix something (there is no guarantee with support that you'll get an immediate bug fix, only you get "support".)

freemailer
Banned

Post by freemailer » 2011-07-20 23:30

I don't need enterprise level support. I need only know that hMS works with all new patches and service packs from MS and that I know that known security bugs get fixed "soon" (weeks) and not withing months.
I think it's fair enough to pay e.g. 150€ per year to be sure it just "works".
And if Martin has more free time then he can also work on the feature requests.

So I would suggest something like

No
10 € - 49 €
50 € - 99 €
100 € - 149 €
150 € - 199 €
More

for the poll.

Again, we don't talk about enterprise level support. Only about maintaining hMS.

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2011-07-21 01:02

freemailer, hMail is open source. If it breaks you can fix it yourself or pay someone to fix it for you. the SOURCE is available. Now I suggest you end this futile thread as it will make no difference what so ever. If you are not happy using hmail in it's current state, then please do use a different product that is updated more regularly that will suit your current requirements.

freemailer
Banned

Post by freemailer » 2011-07-21 01:09

It is always the same.
You don't like it that I say something against hMS's current state
and the future. I propose some changes and the only thing you hear
is "the source is available". Bad joke.
I think you know everything yourself but you don't want to see it.

rjk
Normal user
Normal user

Post by rjk » 2011-07-21 01:36

If all you are worried about is compatibility with future Microsoft hotfixes and security patches, then all you have to do is set up a WSUS server and tell it to do staged rollouts. Then, you tell it to roll hotfixes and patches out to your development & test servers immediately, and to your production servers later - after you have tested each fix or change.

Depending on your environment and on how much time you want to spend, I don't think it would require an undue amount of effort on your part, and you might catch other unrelated issues or problems before they hit production.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2011-07-21 03:17

freemailer wrote:I think you don't understand what I talk about.
I understand, and I agree with all you say.

However, as this isn't an option currently, I'll keep using hMailserver (and installing for clients) until it stops working for me, then I'll look hard for options, or try to fix. I'm not too concerned about the ability to get a fix though. We have some smart people here that are committed to hMailserver and we don't want to see it fail because we all use it too.

At the end of the day, many 'paid' programs just suddenly stop development too, or development is so slow that the product falls behind what the market wants so quickly that it fails. Just think about your favourite accounting program. I've not seen an accounting program that works well yet, let alone one that is free, supported and very very stable (comparing to how I find hMailserver). I'm still looking for a decent accounting program some 15 years since I started looking.

I am using the 5.4 Alpha of hMailserver in production, and honestly it is so stable that I'd be happy to re-brand it as 'stable' right now. The only fix I know that is 'needed' (to bring 5.4 up to the very polished standard that has been created in the past) is to fix the viewing of messages in the queue after the email paths have been converted to 'relative paths', but this should seriously be 10 minute fix from a developer. (Bill ?)

Matt
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2011-07-21 03:37

mattg wrote:The only fix I know that is 'needed' (to bring 5.4 up to the very polished standard that has been created in the past) is to fix the viewing of messages in the queue after the email paths have been converted to 'relative paths', but this should seriously be 10 minute fix from a developer. (Bill ?)

Matt
lol I always forget about that one cuz I'd never ever use it myself but yeah that is a known bug that was never addressed since 5.4 file paths were changed mostly because it never seemed important enough to lose sleep over. :D Plus consider that even if fixed it will only work if the GUI is run on the same computer as hmailserver.exe service (which I suppose is likely most of the time but can't be assumed). But yeah it should be an easy fix I just hadn't looked at it but thanks for reminding me, I'll look into it. :)

Btw cheers for your other comments Matt, definitely agree there on all you said. :)
Bill
Ps. Don't get me started on accounting proggies!! I started a php web based one a few years back & use parts of it but still need to finish the most important part: automated billing via email pdf's! I waste so much time each month doing billing I really need to get that done. (Almost as much time as I waste with long-winded wordy responses on the forum! lol)

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2011-07-21 03:55

mattg wrote:The only fix I know that is 'needed' (to bring 5.4 up to the very polished standard that has been created in the past) is to fix the viewing of messages in the queue after the email paths have been converted to 'relative paths', but this should seriously be 10 minute fix from a developer. (Bill ?)

Matt
OK I thought there was an easy fix users could do on their own:
Close GUI admin
Do properties on the Administrator shortcut & do properties.
Set "Start in" to the path to your hMail data folder such as: "C:\Program Files\hMailServer\Data" (or just copy the path from the exe path above changing Bin to Data & removing filename part)
Do OK & VOILA! You can now view the message in the queue. :D

Obviously there is chance doing that could break something else in the admin but I can't think of anything off-hand where the start-up folder would matter but figure I should mention it anyway.

So at this point the quick-fix is to change how that shortcut is made during install (or by hand for existing installs) but I checked out the code where that file path is & yeah it'd be easy fix to be done right (assuming hard-coding it to the Data path defined in INI doesn't break anything).
Bill

rilex
Normal user
Normal user

Post by rilex » 2011-07-21 05:35

I'm still waiting for http://www.hmailserver.com/devnet/?page ... ssueid=358 to be fixed before proceeding with creating a Web/DMZ-friendly UI. Unfortunately this bug is critical (unauthenticated remote denial of service), but I haven't heard from anyone on it since i reported it directly to Martin.

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2011-07-21 05:54

rilex wrote:I'm still waiting for http://www.hmailserver.com/devnet/?page ... ssueid=358 to be fixed before proceeding with creating a Web/DMZ-friendly UI. Unfortunately this bug is critical (unauthenticated remote denial of service), but I haven't heard from anyone on it since i reported it directly to Martin.
rilex,
Did you email or PM martin more information? That tracker report doesn't give much to go on.. And I see you said 5.3 but I am fairly sure there will be no further 5.3.x releases as efforts are going into 5.4 but since martin is only one with 5.3 source he'd be the one to need to do any changes to it if he decided it was warranted.

Btw have you verified the problem is in 5.4? I'd be interested in knowing more on this so please either PM me or drop into IRC to chat about it.
Thx
Bill

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2011-07-21 09:26

freemailer wrote:It is always the same. You don't like it that I say something against hMS's current state and the future.
I understand your concerns but they are unfounded. I spoke to martin a few weeks ago so he is still around he is just busy with other things. Bill is here and and he works on hMail code.
I propose some changes and the only thing you hear is "the source is available". Bad joke.
No not a bad joke, the truth. It appears you don't want to put the effort in though you just want to use a free mailserver and not contribute. THAT is the bad joke in all of this. The fact that you have the gaul to sit there and demand something of others when you yourself don't care is astonishing to me.
freemailer wrote:And I don't care if it's open source.
freemailer wrote:And don't tell me I can send patches. I don't want to.
I have been here for many years and i have contributed back to the OPEN SOURCE community by helping on these forums almost every single day. I test beta's, i suggest features and help test bug fixes. WHAT DO YOU DO? Nothing, you just take.
freemailer wrote:I think you know everything yourself but you don't want to see it.
I see martin is not around much and i see hmail 5.4 is not out as stable yet. I am not blind but I understand the open source mentality and I understand that people like you are the death of it and quiet honestly, if I were martin and I read what you wrote, I wouldn't bother coming back at all.

freemailer
Banned

Post by freemailer » 2011-07-21 09:39

rjk wrote:If all you are worried about is compatibility with future Microsoft hotfixes and security patches, then all you have to do is set up a WSUS server and tell it to do staged rollouts. Then, you tell it to roll hotfixes and patches out to your development & test servers immediately, and to your production servers later - after you have tested each fix or change.

Depending on your environment and on how much time you want to spend, I don't think it would require an undue amount of effort on your part, and you might catch other unrelated issues or problems before they hit production.

This is what I'm already doing. But still you don't understand it. What can I do if hMS doens't work?
Nothing. There is nobody maintaining it.
And if you read this thread, there are bugs posted for 5.3 and 5.4 and nobody cares about it.
It's ok that they are not very important for you, but for the persons who posted them.
And I know that Martin or whoever won't fix my bugs first. But if they are important to me,
I can pay him another $$$ to fix it asap.

Atm that is not possible.

freemailer
Banned

Post by freemailer » 2011-07-21 09:44

^DooM^ wrote:I have been here for many years and i have contributed back to the OPEN SOURCE community by helping on these forums almost every single day. I test beta's, i suggest features and help test bug fixes. WHAT DO YOU DO? Nothing, you just take.
I've contributed to some open source software myself. And I've written the first backup scripts with shadow copies and a really secure way to backup hMS.
But I cannot or don't want to contribute to hMS with source. Why are you pissed of that I just want to spend money
to get maintenance? Because you know that I'm right but you are not happy with it. See the truth.

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2011-07-21 10:35

freemailer wrote:But I cannot or don't want to contribute to hMS with source. Why are you pissed of that I just want to spend money
to get maintenance? Because you know that I'm right but you are not happy with it. See the truth.
Because this is OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE, i don't know how many more times i can say the same thing until you understand it. You don't PAY for open source software, you contribute back to it either by testing or helping or fixing. There is no paid for support so that option is not available to you and no matter how many times you say it, it wont make it true. You also keep telling me that i know you are right, Yet I keep telling you otherwise. I don't know whether it's stubbornness or something else but right now your options are either.

1) Continue using hmail and contribute back with something other than money.
2) Stop using hmail and use an alternate one that you pay for.

I suggest number 2 because then your points mentioned above will be valid. As they stand now they aren't.

teco
Normal user
Normal user

Post by teco » 2011-07-21 10:58

Just my two cents:

For all the newbies who don't know the past...

Martin has switched to closed source because some "nice" others have used his source code to do their own software. I have found in the past one of these versions - looks like hmail but has only another name. It has vanished when Martin has switched...

This plannings - should be found here somewere in the past - was to make the software for free but with paid "premium" support for customers who want "support by now"...

No he is gone back to open source. Why he don't want donations - look above it should explain all...

To ^DooM^ and Bill48105:
I can't find it, but maybe you know it:

Which version of C++ Compiler (Visual Studio, Embarcadero, WXDev, etc.) is needed for the project and which additional library are needed?

No, I don't want to take over, but it would be helpfull if something need to be changed with the 5.4 source and Martin steps away for any reason and shut down here everything.

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2011-07-21 11:02

yes Teco spot on there. That was the original plan but things change :)

Bill will be your best bet on what you need to compile hMail.

rolaids0
Normal user
Normal user

Post by rolaids0 » 2011-07-21 13:00

It seems to compile fine on Visual Studio 2008.

freemailer
Banned

Post by freemailer » 2011-07-21 21:50

^DooM^ wrote:Because this is OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE
You are crying like a baby again and again. IT'S OPEN SOURCE.
Wow. There are many other programs which are open source AND you
can get paid support. This is not mutually exclusive as you always try
to tell everybody.

Why are people like you always act like an open source Taliban as soon
as somebody is not your opinion?

I can contribute but not in the way you want and this makes you angry.

rjk
Normal user
Normal user

Post by rjk » 2011-07-21 21:58

freemailer wrote:I can contribute but not in the way you want and this makes you angry.
All we are suggesting is that you "contribute" to your own developer, since none of us have the time to be employed by you. Then you could have your developer do whatever you wanted with the software, including coloring all the dialogs green and making it play a "mama" soundbite when an error happens. /rimshot

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Post by dzekas » 2011-07-21 22:09

freemailer wrote:Why are people like you always act like an open source Taliban as soon as somebody is not your opinion?
As some people said. Comes with the territory.

If some project has commercial support, it does not mean that commercial support is viable solution for everyone. I think I got only about 20 USD for my work on OSS.

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2011-07-21 22:46

freemailer wrote:Why are people like you always act like an open source Taliban as soon
Umm.. Uhh.. Not sure what to say about that really but you're entitled to your view even if it is way out there.
freemailer wrote:I can contribute but not in the way you want and this makes you angry.
No one is trying to make you do anything.. Feel free to sit on the side & watch. It was just being pointed out how hmailserver is an alive & active open source community at this point contrary to your whining. It boils down to perspective and I'd think most people think hmailserver is way better off currently than if we were stuck with closed 5.3.x cuz then there'd certainly be angst if there was an issue & martin was too busy to help. A person with some common sense (and not a hugely negative attitude) would see that & appreciate what they have instead of acting like a baby like yourself.
rjk wrote:including coloring all the dialogs green and making it play a "mama" soundbite when an error happens
LMFAO, NICE! /me adds to todo for custom freemailer inspired build :D

Seriously though can we move on past this? Way too much effort has been wasted that could have been directed elsewhere to something useful.

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2011-07-22 00:45

freemailer wrote:Why are people like you always act like an open source Taliban as soon
<sarcasm>Are we past calling people Nazi 's now, we moved onto the taliban? I must not have gotten the memo.</sarcasm>

Do you even listen to what you are saying? You don't understand so you just throw insults instead. Real mature of you. I suggest you behave like a good little boy or I will ask you to leave as well.

freemailer
Banned

Post by freemailer » 2011-07-23 17:20

Funny. You tell me to leave as soon as I'm not your opinion and tell me
that I'm not mature. Real mature of you.