Alternate SMTP port monitored simultaneously?

This forum contains features that has been archived. This section contains implemented features, duplicate requests, and requests which we have decided not to implement.

Would you like to see this implemented?

Yes
100%
No
No votes
maybe
No votes

Total votes: 1

Julusian
New user
New user

Alternate SMTP port monitored simultaneously?

Post by Julusian » 2010-02-23 19:58

I have a situation where my home client cannot connect on port 25 because the ISP is blocking it. So, I set the port on the server to an different open port (8825). Now the SMTP connection works. However, because i don't use port 25, no emails from outside can reach the server. If I switch it back to 25, I can receive, but I cannot send. So, there is a bit of a vicious circle. I see that SmarterMail fixes this issue by monitoring 2 ports at the same time: 25 and 587 (or any other you mention). So, port 25 is always watched and used for inbound traffic (when other servers want to send to my server), while the other alternate port is used for when I want my client to connect to the SMTP to send an outbound message (when my server sends to others). So, it looks to me like monitoring 2 ports rather than just one would be ideal. Right now I am forced to use an external SMTP server to send emails and I left the server on 25 to receive emails.

What do you think?

martin
Developer
Developer

Re: Alternate SMTP port monitored simultaneously?

Post by martin » 2010-02-23 20:17

You could add another TCP/IP port to hMailServer and have it listen to both 25 and some other port at the same time. This functionality already exists? :)