change attachment deletion control to default deny

This forum contains features that has been archived. This section contains implemented features, duplicate requests, and requests which we have decided not to implement.

Do you want this feature

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 6

plumsauce
Normal user
Normal user

change attachment deletion control to default deny

Post by plumsauce » 2007-09-15 10:22

I would like to be able to deny attachments by default unless they are in the exception list.

By this, I mean that any attachment not matching the list would be deemed to be denied. It is much easier to decide on what attachments to permit than to try to imagine all the file extensions that might be dangerous now or in the future.

The list of known extensions is rather long, but the list of extensions that is needed in most emails is short.

For example, I only allow .jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .pdf, .doc, .rtf, .zip, .mpg, .mp3, .mp4, .mpeg and .txt.

Remote users know that anything else needs to be zipped or renamed to an acceptable extension before it will pass through the server I was using before.

This is the reverse of the current interpretation of the attachment handling behaviour.

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2007-09-15 10:54

Nice idea, certainly future proofs that system.

iprat
Normal user
Normal user

Post by iprat » 2007-09-15 23:24

I remember discussing about this in another thread which now I cannot find.

But the post told exactly the same: please enable inverse logic in attachment detection.