Live Console

Use this forum if you want to discuss a problem or ask a question related to a hMailServer beta release.
Bobb
New user
New user

Live Console

Post by Bobb » 2007-01-19 00:19

I am a new user migrating from the Mercury Mail Server. I have been watching hMail's development from afar for some time and am now pleased to call myself an Hmail convert.

Currently I am using 3 key products together on a single server. The message flow goes like this -->ASSP-->Mercury-->hMail. I consider this to be a lethal combination as a spam fighting machine. I have Mercury sandwiched between ASSP and hMail for only one reason - The Mercury server gives me a live console that allows me to see at a glance everything that is going on.

I have taken a look at hMail source code with a particular interest in the admin program. I am reasonably handy with VB6 so I'm considering writing a cut-down version which only includes an enhanced version of the live log monitor where I hope to mimic the functionality of Mercury's console. This would see a separate window for each of the servers key processes. I propose to make it as light as possible and have it running on the server fulltime with control via the system tray.

I have two questions for Martin

1: Are you commited to continuing development of the admin console in VB6 or do you plan to migrate this to the dotnet platform in the near future?

2: Is anybody else doing something like this already?. I dont want to re-invent the wheel

rgds to all.....Bob

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2007-01-19 00:47

1) I might switch to .NET for hMailServer Administrator in the future. VB6 lacks some things which would be nice to have, such as threading support. I haven't decided yet though.

2) No (as far as I knwo)

fingers
New user
New user

Post by fingers » 2007-01-20 00:20

Just replying to be notified of updated mesages -I am interested in this idea as well

mpdyson
Normal user
Normal user

Post by mpdyson » 2007-01-23 14:49

I agree this is one feature I would miss when moving from Mercury. It is a very valuable tool and although you can sort of see it in the live log it takes time to work out what is going on.
I am keen to migrate from Mercury and I am evaluating HMS and this is one thing that is holding me back.

iprat
Normal user
Normal user

Post by iprat » 2007-01-23 16:53

I migrated from Mercury a year ago, and couldn't be happier with the change, for me it is as solid as Mercury, but with a nicer interface (I came from an old version of Mercury 3.32 I think).

And I agree that the (only) feature that I miss from Mercury is the live logging system.

Any steps in this direction will be welcome.
My perfect combination:
hMailServer 5.6.1 (B2208), ASSP 1.3.3.8 (antispam), Clamav 0.98.6 (antivirus)

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2007-01-23 18:38

Can you give me some example of what you see in this live log? What type of information is it and how do you use it in practice?

mpdyson
Normal user
Normal user

Post by mpdyson » 2007-01-23 18:59

Mercury's admin screen is split into separate windows for each module. SMTP in, SMTP out, POP3, IMAP, Core processes. For SMTP modules you can see all active connections and what they are doing (eg Receiving data - xxx lines), 1 line per connection. POP3 the same, IMAP shows currently logged on users and Core shows a log of delivered items (Time - from - to)

This allows you to see what is active in each module at any point in time.

Hope this makes sense.

Mark

fingers
New user
New user

Post by fingers » 2007-01-23 23:07

Mark's got it pretty well covered... my explanation in different words

Each "protocol module" pop3,imap, smtp etc has a simple sub-form within the main window form, allowing tiled, minimized or cascade view, there are no buttons but each sub-form is independently resizeable... the admin menu is along the top as in simple windows vb, c etc

Within most forms, eg the smtp, there are 2 text boxes.
1 fixed showing the information for a transaction, scrolling by line by line,

eg SMTP module form....
Connection from [ip.add.ess] time date
HELO/ELHO host.Greeting
MAIL FROM: header
either
RCPT TO: header
or local server Action, rDNSBL etc logging message
Host Blocked by RULE etc
If message successfully receieved a
DATA lines - size summary
QUIT
Closing connection transactions date time

then textbox.text cleared for nexr message

2 A scrollable textbox holding the data snippets of the last 10-20 transactions

It is acting as a "tail of the each log file" and all the information is found in the log file

i hope i didn't go round in circles to much.

I dont think a "Real Time Live Monitor" outside the hmail administrator would be possible but a "Grouped by Protocol Summary" filtering of the Server Logs in Administrator-->status-->logging might be possible....
Dave