Wanna help to bring Win 2008 R1/R2 core to offical supported

Use this forum if you want to discuss a problem or ask a question related to a hMailServer beta release.
prisma
Senior user
Senior user

Wanna help to bring Win 2008 R1/R2 core to offical supported

Post by prisma » 2010-10-19 11:23

We actually have HMS 5.3.2 running under 2008 R1 core. It's rock stable. Only two issues:

1. It's tricky to set up dcom-permissions for webadmin, but that's a core issue and has nothing to do with HMS. If somebody wants to click things, he shouldn't take a core installation. :) See also my post in "tips and tricks".
2. The hmailserver Setup wants to have a browser installed, but I think the only reason are the online-help-buttons in hMailAdmin. If the setup would make an exception for core-installations and the buttons would be greyed out in hMailAdmin if he is started within a core installation, I'd say HMS is full core compliant.

What else made you believe HMS isn't core compliant? Are there any test scenarios he failed? May I help by testing something?

prisma
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Wanna help to bring Win 2008 R1/R2 core to offical suppo

Post by prisma » 2010-12-22 15:06

No single answer until now? To patch the installer for core-systems and grey-out some buttons using ComDialogs or Url-Links seemed for me not hard to realize. But maybe I'm wrong, of course. Or there are other problems I don't know about...

My opinion as IT pro: supporting core-systems is indispensable for a comeback within the professional hosting scene and virtual environments. Other opinions on developers side? Wouldn't it be a small and nice patch for 5.4 with a huge effect?

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2010-12-25 22:12

hMailServer uses .NET Framework. And that requires Internet Explorer, which is why the installation program installs it. So I guess there's some special version of .NET Framework on 'core' which does not require .NET Framework?

Sure, supporting core would be nice, but as far as I can tell fairly few servers (relatively speaking, of course) are running core as of today.

You mention that you got it working with only two issues. The second one being that the setup wants IE to be installed. What did you do to skip this step?

prisma
Senior user
Senior user

Post by prisma » 2010-12-27 22:08

hi martin,

I continued the setup by just ignoring the error thrown by the IEsetup. And it worked. hMail runs rock stable except of some buttons and dialogs, I wrote that...

hmmm...

It's a 2008 R1 (one!) core, but, to be honestly, I had to apply a patch to a .NET-framework-installer before installing hMailserver. I needed powershell 2.0 and the depended .NET-framework running on this R1 system to have sconfig.bat which comes natively with R2. Therefore the patch/PS2.0. But possibly the same framework, which comes not with R1 core, made hmailserver working?!?!

We're have the possibility to obtain a test-license for 2008 R2 (two!) core from technet. If you'd give me the exact .NET-framework version you need for hMailserver I'd check if some additional installation is needed for R2, or what else to do to get hMail runnig.

Then it would be easier to decide what/if changes are needed for official support. OK?

prisma
Senior user
Senior user

Post by prisma » 2011-01-19 18:52

Hey Martin,

got news. I see no problem to get full 2008 R2 core support. No tricks needed at OS side.

All you need is .net 2.0 32-bit support on R2 core. No problem to install that. You only have to type at command prompt:

Code: Select all

Start /w ocsetup ServerCore-WOW64
Start /w ocsetup NetFx2-ServerCore-WOW64
After that you're able to install hmailserver. Tested with 5.4 beta.
As I said, you only have to customize the setup regarding IE6 (possibly execute the above 2 command lines), and grey out some buttons that use ComDlg etc.

prisma
Senior user
Senior user

Post by prisma » 2011-01-20 12:54

forgotten, original microsoft link:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/server_core/ ... 08-r2.aspx