Development of HmailServer

Use this forum if you want to discuss a problem or ask a question related to a hMailServer beta release.
tejendra
New user
New user

Development of HmailServer

Post by tejendra » 2010-01-30 15:39

Hi,

I want full source code ........i have source code but it will not debug.
i have compile successfully but i want to learn how hmail server working by a source code.
so plz give me full information.

mattg

Re: Development of HmailServer

Post by mattg » 2010-01-30 15:47

from hMailserver Ver 5, hMailserver is NOT open source
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

pepsi
Senior user
Senior user

Post by pepsi » 2010-01-31 17:26

but version 4 is opensource and you can download it but v5 is not.

try to learn from version4

spades
New user
New user

Post by spades » 2010-02-16 18:05

There is broken link http://download.hmailserver.com/source/ ... -4-B287.7z on the page http://www.hmailserver.com/?page=download_source
How to download source code of version 4?

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2010-02-16 19:52

The download system was altered. You will have to ask Martin to fix the link.
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2010-02-16 22:57

Back up now. I moved to a new server yesterday and forgot to add .7z as an allowed file type.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2010-02-17 02:31

I am surprised at how many people still want the source for ver 4.

I suggest that the reasons detailed for wanting to go close source with Ver 5 (ie commercial entities 'rebranding' an open source product as a commercal product) still exist.

Not that it matters to me at all, but how long do you intend to continue to offer the source code for ver 4 Martin?
(for me - if development suddenly stopped, I would continue with hMailserver until I found an alternative. If hMailserver went commercial, I would buy licences but probably stop frequenting this forum)

Matt
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2010-02-21 14:02

I suggest that the reasons detailed for wanting to go close source with Ver 5 (ie commercial entities 'rebranding' an open source product as a commercal product) still exist.
That actually just happend. A company in russia seems to have created a new email server based to 90% of hMailServer. The CEO claims otherwise, but ...

I don't know how long time I'll continue to distribute it. May remove it quite soon...

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2010-02-21 14:40

If that's the case I would remove it from download then.

DeanoX
Senior user
Senior user

Post by DeanoX » 2010-02-24 03:28

I agree with DooM. Remove the download, and all the references to obtaining the source code for v4.

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Post by dzekas » 2010-02-24 07:21

DeanoX wrote:Remove the download, and all the references to obtaining the source code for v4.
read GPL. If you have product licensed under GPL, you must provide some way to obtain the source.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2010-02-24 09:32

Is there a time limit that applies to offering source code?

Surely there are GPL'd software that have ultimately failed and the source is no longer available.

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Post by dzekas » 2010-02-24 09:37

mattg wrote:Is there a time limit that applies to offering source code?

Surely there are GPL'd software that have ultimately failed and the source is no longer available.
Even if there is no time limit, refusing to give source for GPLed product is against the license. When proposal to destroy any evidence of open source comes from software user, it shows that user does not think about future.

Maybe one day he will learn the lesson when software that is important for him will be no longer available or will cost his soul and firstborn.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2010-02-24 09:45

Only your soul and your firstborn?
:evil: :evil:

So if Martin removes the ability to download earlier versions, he can then remove the source code too?

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Post by dzekas » 2010-02-24 10:03

mattg wrote:So if Martin removes the ability to download earlier versions, he can then remove the source code too?
"Source code for v4 available upon request". Done. No links to source, people can get it. This decision should be made by Martin and not by hMailServer end users. hMailServer end user happy about removal of source should contact his or her doctor or live in Soviet Russia (circa 1930-1950) and be happy about his/her rights and freedom.

I understand why Martin closed it, but I don't understand why users are happy about it.

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2010-02-24 10:57

Because we don't like to see Martins hard work ripped off by people who dont give a toss about the GPL.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2010-02-24 11:06

It's not that I'm happy...

It's just that I don't care a lot about ver 5 being closed source.

Locally we have a saying 'Carefactor is low'.
I'm a capitalist, in a western society too. What comes around goes around. At the end of the day those who work well should be rewarded well.

I reckon that those who believe that open source software = freedom are communists at a basic level. 'All for the common / greater good.' Whilst I appreciate Martin for providing free software, I believe firmly that he has a right to be allowed to be compensated for his work. Making it free has made it accessible to the masses. Products can (apparently) be open source and still be commercial by nature. To each their own I reckon. As I said a little higher up this thread
mattg wrote:(for me - if development suddenly stopped, I would continue with hMailserver until I found an alternative. If hMailserver went commercial, I would buy licences but probably stop frequenting this forum)
Open source has nothing to do with my view.

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Post by dzekas » 2010-02-24 11:23

^DooM^ wrote:Because we don't like to see Martins hard work ripped off by people who dont give a toss about the GPL.
That's understanding why source is closed. Not something to be happy about. You lost some of your rights and freedoms when source was closed. You don't have to be communist or hippie to say "They who can give up essential liberty..."

mattg

Post by mattg » 2010-02-24 13:15

dzekas wrote:You don't have to be communist or hippie to say "They who can give up essential liberty..."
Interesting choice of words that...

An apparent partial Benjamin Franklin quote no less.

I am intrigued by the concept of essential liberty and how that relates to open source software generally, and how in a marketplace of much software, some commercial, some open source, some free as in beer and some not so free, just how liberty is affected at all, let alone essential liberty.

But you are correct. Some of the modern era right wingers repeat this exact statement.

:D
(thanks for the robust discussion - I'm enjoying it)

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2010-02-25 20:56

To be honest, I haven't closed the door when it comes to releasing hMailServer as open source. I got angry when other companies released commercial closed-source software based on hMailServer 4 and now the exact same thing seems to have happened again. But I really like the idea of open source so I'm split in half.

collinsauve
New user
New user

Post by collinsauve » 2010-03-04 17:29

You really should consider prosecution, or at the very least, contact the Free Software Foundation and see if they can guide you. I'd hate to see a quality open source product be defeated like this.

Slug

Post by Slug » 2010-03-07 11:27

Bit late on this but ...

My take on this is simple, V5 is by far a more superior product then V4 (I'm sure no one disagrees with me). Because of this fact, if companies wish to release products or versions based on old code then let them. Do not loose any sleep about this fact. No more work should be done by Martin on V4 code hence all bug fixes etc will now need to be provided by the company / person releasing their product based on V4 code.

As hMs continues to move forward then the gap between V4 and V5, V6 etc will grow to the point where the companies using Martins work will actually have to do something rather then just re-branding code and calling it theirs.

One thing can be certain paying customers will demand new features etc over time. Thus putting Martin in a better position to perhaps offer to release V5 (not the source) re badged for a fee to these companies (just an idea).

But my point is don't cry over spilled milk. V4 is in the Past V5 etc is the future.

Michael
Missing Hmailserver ... Now running Debian servers

maggiore81
Normal user
Normal user

Post by maggiore81 » 2010-08-06 22:10

martin wrote:
That actually just happend. A company in russia seems to have created a new email server based to 90% of hMailServer. The CEO claims otherwise, but ...

I don't know how long time I'll continue to distribute it. May remove it quite soon...

Can you please tell me of wich product we talk about?

thanks
Mr. Spadoni
Network Administrator
--
Spadhausen ISP
admin (at) spadhausen . com