hMailServer 5.0, build 312 (Beta)

Use this forum if you want to discuss a problem or ask a question related to a hMailServer beta release.
martin
Developer
Developer

hMailServer 5.0, build 312 (Beta)

Postby martin » 2008-11-08 12:22

A new 5.0 beta is now available:
http://download.hmailserver.com/hMailSe ... 0-B312.exe

Following changes have been made:

• The folder list sometimes included a linefeed, which caused Thunderbird to crash. (Thanks DFitch!)
  • Sometimes Outlook gave the error message "The uid of a message changed unexpectedly". A workaround which may solve this issue have been implemented.

Micros
New user
New user

Re: hMailServer 5.0, build 312 (Beta)

Postby Micros » 2009-12-14 17:28

I am running hMS 5.3-B1617 and get this exact error from Outlook 2007. What I understand hMS does change message id (or uid)when e-mails are moved to another folder. Anyway this issue is not solved but I dont know if it is a Outlook or hMS problem. Any news about this?

mattg

Postby mattg » 2009-12-15 02:19

This is an Outlook problem in my view

This only occurs (for me) when you have multiple clients connected to the same account via IMAP, and one of the other-than-outlook clients deletes a message or moves a message. Outlook 2007 throws this error.

If you connect with multiple instances of Thunderbird, or squirrelmail, then this issue doesn't occur.
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

pcssk
New user
New user

Postby pcssk » 2013-10-14 16:27

Hi,

Old Post but same Problem with Outlook 2010 on 3 Win7x64 Clients with Imap and hMailServer 5.4 - Build 1950

Error-Message:
Fehlermeldung 0x800CCCDB: Die UID einer Nachricht hat sich unerwartet geändert.
The UID of a message changed unexpectedly. This typically indicates a server bug. Your program may not function properly after this.

Does anyone a Solution for the Problem?

Stephan

mattg

Postby mattg » 2013-10-15 03:39

The problem is that we can't reliably reproduce this issue, and so tracking down what causes it is hard.

http://www.hmailserver.com/devnet/?page ... ssueid=326

If you can definitely make this happen at will, and we can reproduce it, then we are closer to a fix.
Please feel free to add to the issue tracker
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.

Acrolyte
Normal user
Normal user

Postby Acrolyte » 2013-10-27 11:44

Aloha!

Long time no see :lol: :P Being a daddy means less time for social and binary life 8)

I have the same problem with Outlook 2010 with a stable release of hMS (5.3.3B1879), running on Win 2003 R2 SP2 (stable without any error for more than 3 years now).

This error occurs not only when multiple clients are connected via Outlook but also when only one is connected.

What I tried yesterday when no other clients where connected and VPN was disabled for everyone except me:

Fired up one machine (Win7 x64 Pro SP1), started Outlook 2010 (x86, SP2) and set up the IMAP account. While synching folders OL stated the same error after 7-8 minutes.

Cheers to all :)

KopMail
New user
New user

Postby KopMail » 2013-10-30 12:27

Hi
First sorry for my bad english. Is there any new to this topic.
Installed hmail for a customer (company with to man). Problem is, person one checks mail for person two.
Not seriously trackable, but the situation is: A mail comes in for person two, which is not in the office. Person opens this mail in his outlook 2010 and closes it.
Then the error occurs:
"The UID of a messages changed unexpectatly"
Details i. e.
"MsqSeqNum 2310: prev UID:5012: New UID 5020
Protokoll: IMAP
Server: S202
Anschluss: 143
Fehlercode: 0x800CCDB"

Click on OK, new error occurs (try to translate it from german to english).
"A new ID has been found, which not refers to the IMAP Standard. Normaly its an error of the server. Eventually the program isn't fully fuctional now."
Details
Same as mentioned above.

Is there any workaround, solution to this? What additional infos would you need to track it down?

Thanks.

Regards.

mattg

Postby mattg » 2013-10-31 01:57

KopMail wrote:What additional infos would you need to track it down?

Something that makes this reproduce EVERY TIME that we can replicate.

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Postby Bill48105 » 2013-10-31 03:16

mattg wrote:
KopMail wrote:What additional infos would you need to track it down?

Something that makes this reproduce EVERY TIME that we can replicate.

+1 I can't express how many HOURS & HOURS I've spent chasing this one to no avail. I have ideas of possible causes but need to sit down & chat with martin about it. Btw yeah this is crazy old thread. There are certainly newer ones discussing it :D
hMailServer build LIVE on my servers: 5.4-B2014050402
#hmailserver on FreeNode IRC https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#hmailserver
*** ABSENT FROM hMail! Those in IRC know how to find me if urgent. ***

chrisso
New user
New user

Postby chrisso » 2014-05-09 00:44

You can easy repoduce it. It happens when u use more than 1 client with an IMAP Account. The Problem is the delete Funktion of Outlook 2010. When you delete an Message Outlook 2010 moves the Message into Trash Like it does at an POP Account. Then the UUID Error appears on the other Clients when try to open the "deleted" messages. You have to configure Outlook 2010 that it only mark messages to delete, like Outlook 2007 it does to prevent the error actually.

mattg

Postby mattg » 2014-05-09 02:19

Thanks for the post.

I frequently delete messages from outlook (2007 and 2010), as well as from Thunderbird + web mail + opera.

I don't ALWAYS get this UID error. In fact in recent times I don't remember the last time that I did get it.
Of all of my users, it was ONLY ever me who complained.

We need something that is consistent across users, something this is reliably reproducible and consistent.

Does what you say cause this UID error EVERY time? (And you seem to be saying that this is a fault of Outlook 2010)

chrisso
New user
New user

Postby chrisso » 2014-05-09 17:06

Sorry for my bad english. I try to explain it more detailed.

The Problem is defenitivly Outlook 2010. And it happens only if you are using the target IMAP Account with more than one Machine.

The deleting process in Outlook 2010 IMAP (Standard Settings) works like the deleting Process in POP3 (Local Database). (Out of the view of the User)

By default you dont see "Marked to Delete Emails" in the imap Account. You hit the delete button and Outlook copies the message into trash and Mark the Original message to delete. You dont see the marked original message because they is hidden. You could see them, if you enable the IMAP View.
Now you switch into another Folder. When you Switch back the marked Messages will be deleted permanent.
And exactly this causes the UID Problem.
But only if you use more than one machine with the same IMAP Account.
The UID Failure does not appear on the Machine which deleted the Message, but on every other Machine using this IMAP Account.

The Workaround is simple. Disable "Move deleted items to the following Folder" and the UID Error does not appear any more.

In the best case you disable "Purge items when switching Folder" and Enable the IMAP View under View Settings.

Then Outlook 2010 works like Outlook 2007 and older.

I hope you understand now what i mean and you can track the Problem.

Many Greetz from Germany

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Postby Bill48105 » 2014-05-09 17:31

chrisso think you missed the point. Perhaps what you tell us is a CLUE in the underlying cause but the problem existed before Outlook 2010.. In fact with 2007 as others reported. So the problem is not 2010. It seems what you point out gives hints & confirms what we've suspected for awhile now so it could still be useful in tracking down the root cause. The UID's get out of order or are different in terms of what Outlook thinks they should be. For example during the move to trash outlook might assume the UID remains the same but hmail changes it during the move. Or vice versa. We've never been able to reproduce it consistently enough to track what is happening so maybe what you post will help with that. If we can reproduce the problem we can try to fix it so thanks for the info.

Btw it is entirely possible the issue is a race condition. If you get time you might try one of the latest experimental builds (link in my signature) even if on a test bed. During development of STARTTLS we found a few spots in code where there were race conditions that resulted in corrupt emails and crashes. We have confirmation from a few people that the changes have solved crashes that happen in B9150 etc so you might give it a try. It's possible the threads get out of sync resulting in UID's being out of order.
Bill
#hmailserver on FreeNode IRC https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#hmailserver

chrisso
New user
New user

Postby chrisso » 2014-05-09 20:52

I think i wrote it a Little bit crazy. I think not, that Outlook 2010 do the fault. I descriped the Action what you have to do that the fault appears.
I have an iPhone App called PCL Pro which has an integrated Mailclient. It can also be used to produce the UID Error. But i think for you its easier to take Outlook 2010 :)

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Postby Bill48105 » 2014-05-09 21:01

chrisso wrote:I think i wrote it a Little bit crazy. I think not, that Outlook 2010 do the fault. I descriped the Action what you have to do that the fault appears.
I have an iPhone App called PCL Pro which has an integrated Mailclient. It can also be used to produce the UID Error. But i think for you its easier to take Outlook 2010 :)

If possible can you test a newer experimental build? The ones since STARTTLS have race condition fixes.
Well easier for you. I do not have Outlook 2010 or iPhone so I can't test either ;)
Bill

mattg

Postby mattg » 2014-05-10 04:13

chrisso wrote:By default you dont see "Marked to Delete Emails" in the imap Account. You hit the delete button and Outlook copies the message into trash and Mark the Original message to delete. You dont see the marked original message because they is hidden. You could see them, if you enable the IMAP View.
Now you switch into another Folder. When you Switch back the marked Messages will be deleted permanent.
The UID Failure does not appear on the Machine which deleted the Message, but on every other Machine using this IMAP Account.

The Workaround is simple. Disable "Move deleted items to the following Folder" and the UID Error does not appear any more.

In the best case you disable "Purge items when switching Folder" and Enable the IMAP View under View Settings.

I have Outlook 2010, and this doesn't cause the UID error for me.

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Postby Bill48105 » 2014-05-10 05:23

mattg wrote:
chrisso wrote:By default you dont see "Marked to Delete Emails" in the imap Account. You hit the delete button and Outlook copies the message into trash and Mark the Original message to delete. You dont see the marked original message because they is hidden. You could see them, if you enable the IMAP View.

I have Outlook 2010, and this doesn't cause the UID error for me.

That means it does not give us to reproduce the error. ;( Btw why are we rambling on in this million year old thread on 5.0 beta? lol

silc
New user
New user

Postby silc » 2016-06-20 15:31

Hi there,
the bug occured again in: Version 5.6.5 - Build 2367 (2016-06-07) - Outlook 2010 (not in Outlook 2013)

According to changelog it should maybe be fixed with:
Version 5.0 - Build 312 (2008-11-08)
The folder list sometimes included a linefeed, which caused Thunderbird to crash. (Thanks DFitch!)
Sometimes Outlook gave the error message "The uid of a message changed
unexpectedly". A workaround which may solve this issue has been implemented.

Are there any changes in 5.6.5 that possible removed the fix?

Best regards

Return to “Development & alpha discussions”