hMailServer 5.0, build 287 (Alpha)

Use this forum if you want to discuss a problem or ask a question related to a hMailServer beta release.
martin
Developer
Developer

hMailServer 5.0, build 287 (Alpha)

Post by martin » 2008-04-02 21:12

A new 5.0 alpha is now available:
http://download.hmailserver.com/dev/hMa ... 0-B287.exe

Following changes have been made:

hMailServer Administrator:
  • Protocol was shown incorrectly in TCP/IP settings.
  • Administrator crashed when trying to modify TCP/IP port settings without using SSL.
  • It was not possible to disable external accounts.
  • Status page now includes database server information again.
  • The "Edit folders" settings in the account has been moved to the Advanced tab (still not possible to set the permissions though).
  • Server sendout did not work.

bigcrawdaddy
Normal user
Normal user

Re: hMailServer 5.0, build 287 (Alpha)

Post by bigcrawdaddy » 2008-04-02 22:08

Mr Martin was very fast with that Sentout fix

Carl
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Carl » 2008-04-03 00:41

bigcrawdaddy wrote:Mr Martin was very fast with that Sentout fix
Yes, he is. :)

Same problem as what I started to talk about in the thread for the previous build, but I figured I'd finish it over here since it's still happening.
Database: Postgresql v8.3
software: hMailServer v5 build 287, ClamAV

When I open up the administration panel, click on "Status" on the left hand navigation area, and then click on the "Status" tab that has appeared to the right, I end up at the high-tech new-version of the status page. I note the number under "Processed Messages" In this test case it was 0.

On another machine, I open Thuderbird and send a message to my yahoo.com account and wait several seconds. I look back at the status page and the number under "Processed Messages." It hasn't changed. I select the "Server" tab and go back to "Status." The number of Processed Messages has not changed.

I close the administration panel and reopen to return to the "Processed Messages" area. The number increased by at least one. (In the last test case, it was 1.)

Since I haven't tested with other dbs I'm not sure if Postgres is the problem again, but it doesn't look like that page is updating for me at all.
Carl

98% of computer users know just enough to be dangerous, but not enough to be useful. I'm afraid I don't fall in the top 2%.

minsik
Normal user
Normal user

Post by minsik » 2008-04-03 15:37

287 is very good Martin.

So far all i can see is in the backup/restore section.
Selecting the backup path doesn't open a select box. Only way is to type in the actual path or cut and paste from explorer. Very minor though. rest is working for me.

Nearly a beta i bet!

edit:

Ok 1 0r two small things.

) On a clean install the port25 is added. Then if a backup is restored the originally installed port 25 is still present. Groups members dont seem to be restored from a backup. I am not really sure of the group purpose yet. It might pop up in rules maybe. I will do some searching on this.

2) Server messages when viewed cant be closed! No close shut or cancel that i could see. This is definitelty a case of programmer so close to the code he allways does the right button click! (secret- keyboard enter closed the message window! )

Thanks again for the efforts. You must be so proud to see the baby start walking and pretty soon it will speak, "Beta Daddy" .
Windows XP
hmailserver (latest beta allways) (except db versions)
test config, trying to convince the boss to use hmail!
ASSP - front end SPam killer

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2008-04-05 11:56

2) Server messages when viewed cant be closed! No close shut or cancel that i could see. This is definitelty a case of programmer so close to the code he allways does the right button click! (secret- keyboard enter closed the message window! )
I agree that I'm close to the code but I'm not really sure what you mean with the rest. :) Which "Server messages" do you mean? I didn't see the need of a Close button under Settings->Advanced->Server messages (since it's not a "new window") but I'm guessing you're talking about some other "server messages"?

Carl
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Carl » 2008-04-05 16:16

Apparently on the Administration Panel, under "Status," if you go the "Server Warnings" box and select a warning and then click the "show" button, it pops up another box that doesn't have a way of being closed other than hitting the enter key.

I haven't actually done this so I don't know. :P
Carl

98% of computer users know just enough to be dangerous, but not enough to be useful. I'm afraid I don't fall in the top 2%.

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2008-04-05 17:25

Carl wrote:Apparently on the Administration Panel, under "Status," if you go the "Server Warnings" box and select a warning and then click the "show" button, it pops up another box that doesn't have a way of being closed other than hitting the enter key.

So I'm guessing you're just guessing, right? :) If I bring up one of the warnings, there is a "OK" button in the dialog. And if I click this button, the dialog closes... :)

Carl
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Carl » 2008-04-05 18:04

Yes, I was guessing that was what was being said. If I was right, could it be something wrong with with the .NET installation? I mean while I'm throwing out useless guesses, why stop early. ;)
Carl

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2008-04-05 18:24

Haha, who knows. I think we should wait for minsik to tell us what the problem is before we try to solve it. It's often much more efficient that way. ;)

jvandermark
New user
New user

Post by jvandermark » 2008-04-05 21:08

First off, Great work Martin!

Anyone having problems change passwords in the admin UI?

I got this Error while atetmpting to change a user password on 5.0 Build 287
************** Exception Text **************
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800403E9): Failed to save object. See hMailServer error log.
at hMailServer.AccountClass.Save()
at hMailServer.Administrator.ucAccount.SaveData()
at hMailServer.Administrator.formMain.buttonSave_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
Looking at the ERROR_hmailserver log, i see that nothing is in the 'accountvacationexpiredate' field:
"ERROR" 5360 "2008-04-05 13:48:20.635" "Severity: 2 (High), Code: HM5032, Source: DALConnection::Execute, Description: MySQL: Incorrect datetime value: '10/7/2007 12:00:00 AM' for column 'accountvacationexpiredate' at row 1 (Additional info: UPDATE hm_accounts SET accountdomainid=6, accountaddress='dosomething@something.com', accountpassword='xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx', accountactive=1, accountisad=0, accountaddomain='', accountadusername='', accountmaxsize=1, accountvacationmessageon=0, accountvacationmessage='', accountvacationsubject='', accountvacationexpires=0, accountvacationexpiredate='10/7/2007 12:00:00 AM', accountpwencryption=2, accountadminlevel=0, accountforwardenabled=0, accountforwardaddress='', accountforwardkeeporiginal=0, accountenablesignature=0, accountsignatureplaintext='', accountsignaturehtml='', accountlastlogontime='2007-01-10 19:42:02', accountpersonfirstname='', accountpersonlastname='' WHERE accountid = 15)"
--Joe

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2008-04-05 21:14

jvandermark, will fix in the next build. Has to do with your regional options.

minsik
Normal user
Normal user

Post by minsik » 2008-04-06 01:50

Carl wrote:Apparently on the Administration Panel, under "Status," if you go the "Server Warnings" box and select a warning and then click the "show" button, it pops up another box that doesn't have a way of being closed other than hitting the enter key.

thats very good Carl.

Martin. Sorry if this was unclear. (must be the late night!)

In the 287 "Status, Server Messages, Show," then the message pops up in a small window (i had one about ports I think. Brain fade as that was yesterday!) Anyway there was no getting rid of the message, no close/ok/cancel button, right click the top bar and no close, escape didnt do it, until i accidentally pressed enter and it went. Any way it was only the one message and no more messages since then. Very minor.

PS.
About logging, excellent into the text file. However the live "status, logging, start" is very basic. I have used Baretail which is a text viewer that all ways scrolls to the bottom of a text file and can reload every second or so automatically. that would be a nice way to see what the hmailserver is really doing on an ongoing basis but as hmailserver creates a new named log on each day with a different name its impossible to use baretail on a continuous basis. In Hmailserver if you start logging then check something else and come back to logging under the status window there is nothing.

Is it possible another window all together that pops up when show logging is active that either has all the current details scrolling down that would allow check/change/add user or such like to remain the log window open? Or a generic constant name for the log until the day rolls over when the old log is renamed and a new one created?

As i said under a different post as an admin of an email server you want to see whats coming in, whats queued going out and whats queued for collection by users/ or to be collected by individual users, as well as almost a heartbeat to see the server is ticking along and what she is doing now.

Just a couple of hopefull helpfull ideas.

Unfortunately while the guts of my workplace present email server (that i hate and want to replace, hate dure to performance) it has some very nice interface and user features.

thanks again.
Windows XP

mikew
New user
New user

Minor Issue: File Dialogs for SSL Certificates in Administra

Post by mikew » 2008-04-06 11:45

Just discovered a less important flaw in the Administrator:

The file browse dialogs on "SSL Certificates / Add" allow "All Files" and are pre-filled with an unreasonable default file name.

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2008-04-06 12:04

In the 287 "Status, Server Messages, Show," then the message pops up in a small window (i had one about ports I think. Brain fade as that was yesterday!) Anyway there was no getting rid of the message, no close/ok/cancel button, right click the top bar and no close, escape didnt do it, until i accidentally pressed enter and it went. Any way it was only the one message and no more messages since then. Very minor.
I assume you mean "Status, Server warnings, Show". Can you still reproduce that problem? Can you post a screenshot of the dialog on your computer? Because when I open it on mine, it has a OK button...

minsik
Normal user
Normal user

Post by minsik » 2008-04-07 05:23

I assume you mean "Status, Server warnings, Show". Can you still reproduce that problem? Can you post a screenshot of the dialog on your computer? Because when I open it on mine, it has a OK button...[/quote]

Martin, thanks.

I have no messages available at the moment so i changed the smtp port to 25 and restarted the mailserver service, then admin, still no messages. did this 2 more times, weird. shut down hmailserver service, restarted my assp which uses port 25, restarted the hmailserver and still no messages showing under "status, server status, server messages" Huh weird!

So checking the error log that has now appeared it shows,

"ERROR" 1228 "2008-04-07 12:44:15.671" "Severity: 2 (High), Code: HM4316, Source: IOCPServer::_CreateListenSocket(), Description: Call to bind() failed. Error: 10048. Port: 25. This is often caused by another server listening on the same port. To determine which server is listening on the port, telnet your server on port 25. Make sure that no other email server is running and listening on this port, and then restart the hMailServer service."

and still no messages appear under the hmailserver server message area at all.

Is there any sure way to generate a message appears. i thought that a misscomfigured port would do it?
server error messages.jpg
PS In the main activity log there is an entry showing server problem

"APPLICATION" 1228 "2008-04-07 12:44:15.671" "Severity: 2 (High), Code: HM4316, Source: IOCPServer::_CreateListenSocket(), Description: Call to bind() failed. Error: 10048. Port: 25. This is often caused by another server listening on the same port. To determine which server is listening on the port, telnet your server on port 25. Make sure that no other email server is running and listening on this port, and then restart the hMailServer service."
"DEBUG" 1228 "2008-04-07 12:44:15.718" "Socket::Socket(ID: 1)"

edit

Ok here is the picture of the window. it must have a hidden close button as i now tab one and enter to close it Martin. Hope this is of help.

also port conflict is not coming up as major error. ie port 25 allready open with assp, install hmailserver and install then open admin and no server error showing. Yet it is in the error.log ok.

cheers mate.
error window problem.jpg
Last edited by minsik on 2008-04-08 17:06, edited 1 time in total.
Windows XP

debarron
New user
New user

Post by debarron » 2008-04-08 15:32

One thing that I mentioned in the Build 286 thread that wasn't addressed in this build was the fact that when you have accounts under a domain and have to change the domain name, the accounts under the domain do not get their domain name updated. So if for some reason you had to change your domain from a .com to a .net, all the accounts still show as having a .com email address.
Attachments
Account Domain.JPG

meloen
New user
New user

Post by meloen » 2008-04-10 11:44

martin wrote:
  • The "Edit folders" settings in the account has been moved to the Advanced tab (still not possible to set the permissions though).
hey, so this means that no public folders can be created right? I'm testing it out for the dutch volunteer law firm VRB, because i want the entire board to have a public box, as well as a folder per department. Is there any other way than the administrator to create these? e.g. telnet or scripting?

or should i use thunderbird to create these and set acl? IMAP ACL is tagged on the administrator.

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2008-04-10 20:05

hey, so this means that no public folders can be created right?
Yes, in this alpha build.

If you can find an IMAP client which actually supports modifying ACL attributes of IMAP folders you can use that. I haven't found a single on which does that yet though. So you'll have to wait for an upcoming build.

mbushaw
New user
New user

Post by mbushaw » 2008-04-11 17:29

Just tried to add a user.
Got an error that the information wasn't saved.
In the error log I see a message that the 'accountvacationexpiredate is wrong datetime value 2/10/2008 10:00:00 AM'.
In MySQL database I see the other accounts use the format 2008-02-10 10:00:00
It seems MySQL really wants the year first.

I see that this is the same error as earlier post on trying to change passwords.
Are the regional settings you mention somethingthat can be alteed on my side?

I am using the MySQL database from prior versions. 5.0.27
Upgrade install went very smooth!

Thanks Martin

mikew
New user
New user

Post by mikew » 2008-04-11 21:29

martin wrote: If you can find an IMAP client which actually supports modifying ACL attributes of IMAP folders you can use that. I haven't found a single on which does that yet though. So you'll have to wait for an upcoming build.
What about Mulberry from http://www.mulberrymail.com: According to its reference guide it has the capability to manage ACLs.

redrummy
Senior user
Senior user

Post by redrummy » 2008-04-12 00:26

What about Mulberry
Have you ever installed Mulberry or seen screen shots? Ye-gads it's ugly. :shock: I don't mean to insult the developers and I know fashion should follow function, but I don't think I could look at that screen for more than 5 minutes.

mikew
New user
New user

Post by mikew » 2008-04-12 08:11

redrummy wrote:
What about Mulberry
Have you ever installed Mulberry or seen screen shots? Ye-gads it's ugly. :shock: I don't mean to insult the developers and I know fashion should follow function, but I don't think I could look at that screen for more than 5 minutes.
I admit it works and looks quite "unusual".

However, it serves as the (or one of the) most advanced IMAP client implementations and can be used to test the ACL extension and other IMAP server features.

bigcrawdaddy
Normal user
Normal user

Post by bigcrawdaddy » 2008-04-13 19:18

Was adding some script code and when I tried using any of the buttons in the Scripting Section none worked.

mbach
Normal user
Normal user

Post by mbach » 2008-04-16 14:35

Wouldn't it be possible to use/change ACL by hmail-Admin?
So in the Admin-interface you could create/edit/delete folders/public folders (or folders in general) and change ACL of each folder/subfolder. There would be also the possibility to change ACL over phpAdmin as a webbased UI.
That wouldn't be a clientbased solution, but it could work until ACL will be improved in Thunderbird or another mail client.

I think you had something like that as a fine solution, Martin.
See your post: http://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewto ... 785#p52785

Best regards,

Markus

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2008-04-16 17:10

mbach wrote:Wouldn't it be possible to use/change ACL by hmail-Admin?
It will be, just that it isn't working in the build you are using.

PeterK2003
Normal user
Normal user

Post by PeterK2003 » 2008-04-20 20:41

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but when looking at the IP ranges there is no info except for the name of the range which makes it rather hard to analyze if there is a problem. It would be nice if at least the Priority and maybe the IPs also listed so that you didn't have to go info each range to check out the settings.

Thanks and keep up the good work,

~Peter

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2008-04-20 21:55

It would be nice if at least the Priority and maybe the IPs also listed so that you didn't have to go info each range to check out the settings.
I've changed this list according to your suggestion. Will be included in the next beta

PeterK2003
Normal user
Normal user

Post by PeterK2003 » 2008-04-21 02:31

Your wonderful!

Thanks!