Post subject: Error 800706ba when connecting remotely.
PostPosted: 2012-10-10 08:01 
New user
New user

This seems to be a somewhat unusual problem, so I will try to be comprehensive in my description.

hMailServer machine:
  • Athlon XP 3200, 2GB RAM, 2 drives (one for OS, other for hMailServer & MSSQL)
  • Windows 2000 Professional
  • MS SQL Server 2005 Standard
  • hMailServer 5.3.3-B1879 (full install)

Remote access workstation:
  • Dual Intel Xeon 3.2Ghz (Prestonia, s604 32-bit processor), 12GB RAM, 7 drives (1 OS, 2 RAID-0, 4 RAID-5)
  • Windows 2003 R2 Standard 32-bit
  • hMailServer 5.3.3-B1879 (tools only)

Some notes:
  • Both machines are on the same subnet, with static IP addresses.
  • My mail server has a very low static, 192.168.0.4, with only network printers beneath it.
  • Both machines are on the same workgroup.
  • Both machines have the same username/password for the primary account, which has full administrative rights.
  • For obvious reasons, the mail server has neither firewall nor antivirus. It is protected by a very customized router, however, which severely restricts what can connect to it from the Internet (essentially only ports 110 and 26 - my ISP blocks 25).
  • I have my reasons for using Win2K on the mail server (I love doing funky things with old hardware), although the whole machine is being replaced soon.
  • My workstation is an even stranger beast. It has Win2K3R2 because of the motherboard -- the board can only take 32-bit Xeon processors, but can take up to 12GB of RAM. As such, I needed a 32-bit Windows OS that could see the whole 12GB of RAM.

When I try to connect to my mail server from my workstation, I get the following error:

Code:
Retrieving the COM class factory for remote component with CLSID {D6567EF8-0A6C-48E7-9288-A2463123C2F3} from machine 192.168.0.4 failed due to the following error: 800706ba.

Can anyone help me with this? Obviously, right now I have to be standing in front of my machine in order to do any work on hMailServer, since I cannot connect remotely and Win2K does not have Remote Desktop abilities (one of the minor reasons why I am building a new mail server). If I was on the road, I would like to be able to Remote Desktop into my primary workstation (the Win2K3R2 machine) and run the hMailServer tools from there, but right now they are throwing the error as above.

Post subject: Re: Error 800706ba when connecting remotely.
PostPosted: 2012-10-10 08:31 

Doing that connection is tricky - I've never been able to make it work

Try the PHPWebAdmin for remote admin control of your hMailserver

As a side issue or two...
moving to port 26 won't help you. The world's mail servers send and receive on port 25. If you want to send and receive mail to the world then you need to use port 25

Server 2003 standard 32 bit only uses 4 Gb of RAM. Server 2003 Enterprise 32 bit uses more RAM. Other than server enterprise editions, you would need to use 64 bit to utilise more than 4 GB of RAM.

PostPosted: 2012-10-10 17:57 
New user
New user

PHPWebAdmin is not desirable at this time, as I do not want to run any extra services off of that box.

Port 25 is unreachable from anywhere else on the Internet, thanks to the restrictions of my ISP (even for a business account that allows web and email servers). Port 26 (or any other port than 25, to be exact) is the only thing that will work. All that is needed is a single tweak to an email client (like Thunderbird) when it is initially set up, to re-focus from port 25 to port 26.

And yes, it does work -- it’s been working just fine for eight years now. Without port 26, none of my other family members or clients would be able to send email unless they used their ISP’s outgoing email server, and for those of them who are mobile with their email, this would be *very* inconvenient… they never know which ISP’s network they will find themselves on, so being able to use my server over port 26 is a godsend for them. They simply don’t have the technical knowledge to discover the appropriate mail server (for whatever network they currently find themselves on) and make the changes within their email program every time they want to send email, so having a single send location that never changes is perfect.

You are correct about Server 2003 R2. I am indeed using Enterprise, in order to see all 12GB installed. I occasionally think one thing while saying/writing another entirely -- it’s bloody annoying and confuses the hell outta me when it happens, because I don’t realize I’ve said something completely different than what I meant. It usually happens with dates, but sometimes with names as well. Probably has something to do with the fact that I have a memory like a sieve when it comes to names and numbers -- give me a phone number, and I will have forgotten the first three digits by the time you give me the last digit.

PostPosted: 2012-10-11 02:58 

This is help page for remote admin, but I expect that you've seen it already

http://www.hmailserver.com/documentatio ... management

Other than PHPWebadmin, other options include other ways to access the server remotely ie VNC, Teamviewer, GoToMyPC LogMeIn etc

PostPosted: 2012-10-11 09:32 
New user
New user

Unfortunately, yes I have seen this information already. And each item has already been dealt with.

I originally got a different error entirely (a connection refused error), so I found this page and went through every item.

Further suggestions?

PostPosted: 2012-12-22 20:37 
New user
New user

Small update:

Even with both my “daily driver” and my mail server completely rebuilt from the ground up, (I was dissatisfied with the setup of my main machine, and my daily driver was experiencing pervasive hardware issues that pointed toward a hardware failure in the near future) this kind of a remote connection using just the tools package still does not work.

The error, however, is slightly different:
Code:
Retrieving the COM class factory for remote component with CLSID {D6567EF8-0A6C-48E7-9288-A2463123C2F3} from machine 192.168.0.4 failed due to the following error: 80070005.

My “Daily Driver” still has all the same hardware and O/S. My Mail Server now has new hardware and a new O/S:
  • Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
  • AMD Opteron™ 165, s939
  • 4GB DDR400 PC3200 RAM
  • nVidia 9800GT PCIe graphics
  • Windows XP 64-bit
  • MS SQL Server 2008 R2 64-bit

Thankfully, however, XP has Remote Desktop; so the failure of the remote hMailServer connection is a lot less of an issue. Still, it would be nice if it could be made to work…