Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Spam Settings
PostPosted: 2012-03-12 18:11 
Normal user

Joined: 2012-03-02 06:30
Posts: 32
K I think this hmaiserver is all good except for spam settings.

I am getting a tremendous amount of spam still...

Here are my settings...

AntiSpam

General
Spam Mark: 3
Add X-Hmailserver Spam
Add X-hMailserver-reason

Spam Delete: 4

Max scan: 5048

Spam Tests - score
Use SPF - 3
Check host in HELO - 3
Check DNS-MX - 4

Spam Assassin
Not installed - cannot find apprpriate instal for Win 2003 Server

Tarpitting - 0

DNS Blacklists - 19 installed - all enabled - scores most 4
zen.spamhaus.org
sbl.spamhaus.org
xbl.spamhaus.org
psbl.surriel.com
bl.spamcop.net
list.dsbl.org
unconfirmed.dsbl.org
dnsbl.sorbs.net
rhsbl.sorbs.net
db.wpbl.info
whois.rfc-ignorant.org
cbl.abuseat.org
access.redhawk.org
dnsbl.ahbl.org
spam.dnsbl.sorbs.net
bl.spamcannibal.org
dsn.rfc-ignorant.org
b.barracudacentral.org
all.spamrats.com

SURBL
multi.surbl.org

Greylisting - enabled
30 mins defer
1 day unused
36 days used

Bypass Greylisting on SPF Pass


I have been playing with these settings for awhile... Setting delete threshold to 4 worked best so far... Even though I hear the false positives occur... But any expected mail is getting thru fine so far...

Spam Assassin - I can't seem to find windows install without major headache... Perl installs etc...

_________________
MedExplorer
www.medexplorer.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spam Settings
PostPosted: 2012-03-12 19:01 
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 2005-07-29 16:18
Posts: 13792
Location: UK
I'm surprised you get any email with all those blacklists and such a low threshold.

ASSP is a good alternative to Spam Assassin if you can figure out it's many thousands of options. Spam Assassin you should install on linux if possible. The windows version I tried didn't work to well.

_________________
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spam Settings
PostPosted: 2012-03-12 19:22 
Normal user

Joined: 2012-03-02 06:30
Posts: 32
If I increase threshold it is brutal...
Especially default 20...

Quote:
ASSP is a good alternative to Spam Assassin


Assuming it is this?

Stop spam with the Anti-Spam-SMTP-Proxy (ASSP)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/assp/files/

Will look into...

_________________
MedExplorer
www.medexplorer.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spam Settings
PostPosted: 2012-03-13 00:51 
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 2005-07-29 16:18
Posts: 13792
Location: UK
Yep that's the one. It sits in front of hMail though and would take over the job of antispam from hMail. All emails will come into hmail from 127.0.0.1 (If assp is installed locally to hmail)

_________________
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spam Settings
PostPosted: 2012-03-13 01:22 
Normal user

Joined: 2012-03-02 06:30
Posts: 32
Just looked at it...

Need a bunch of PERL instal stuff too...

This spam is a mess...

About 100 spam messages in 5 hrs when I was gone...

_________________
MedExplorer
www.medexplorer.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spam Settings
PostPosted: 2012-03-13 01:56 
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 2005-07-29 16:18
Posts: 13792
Location: UK
I'll post up my settings and see if they help you any. They have changed since my last post a few years back.

_________________
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spam Settings
PostPosted: 2012-03-13 02:52 
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 2005-07-29 16:18
Posts: 13792
Location: UK
Code:
Anti-spam->General
------------------
Spam mark threshold = 6
Ticked all three boxes
Spam delete threshold = 20
Max size = 1024

Anti-spam->Spam tests
---------------------
All four ticked
All set to 1

Anti-spam->SpamAssassin (optional)
-----------------------
Do not use score from SA
Score = 6

Anti-spam->DNS blacklists
-------------------------
pbl.spamhaus.org         | 127.0.0.* | Rejected by http://www.spamhaus.org/pbl     | 5
sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org     | 127.0.0.* | Rejected by http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl-xbl | 5
bb.barracudacentral.org  | 127.0.0.* | Rejected by barracuda                       | 5
bl.score.senderscore.com | 127.0.0.* | Rejected based on SenderScore.org Result    | 5
bl.spameatingmonkey.net  | 127.0.0.* | Rejected by http://spameatingmonkey.com/    | 5

(for those wondering why I didn't just use Zen for spamhaus, I wanted to double up the scores from the PBL (dynamic ips) and sbl-xbl. If in both lists then definitely fail, but if only in one or the other still set the score high so it will fail on any other check but allow for possible false positive avoidance.)

Anti-spam->SURBL servers
------------------------
multi.surbl.org | Rejected by surbl.org | 2

Anti-spam->Greylisting
----------------------
Defer = 7
Remove un-used = 2
Remove used = 72
Bypass on spf/mx/a unticked

_________________
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spam Settings
PostPosted: 2012-03-13 14:37 
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: 2007-06-14 05:12
Posts: 11350
Location: 'The Outback' Australia
MerlethePearl wrote:
Bypass Greylisting on SPF Pass

I'd turn that one off

_________________
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
Documentation


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spam Settings
PostPosted: 2012-03-13 17:35 
Developer

Joined: 2010-04-24 23:16
Posts: 5801
Location: Michigan, USA
mattg wrote:
MerlethePearl wrote:
Bypass Greylisting on SPF Pass

I'd turn that one off

+1

_________________
hMailServer build LIVE on my servers: 5.4-B2014011501
Latest test builds: http://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21420
Urgent? Bored? JOIN US ON IRC!
DOGE ME: DSqtEcqP3Qv6Tj2XrGNpDmEUkSBcpBsuWk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spam Settings
PostPosted: 2012-03-14 03:17 
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 2005-07-29 16:18
Posts: 13792
Location: UK
yep, I have those unticked as well as per my list above ;)

_________________
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spam Settings
PostPosted: 2012-03-29 23:26 
Normal user

Joined: 2009-01-02 18:21
Posts: 123
Hi

Maybe this can be used: http://www.jam-software.com/spamassassin
It run nice on my win server.
1) Install
2) Load spamd as a win32 service (I use http://www.firedaemon.com) but SC.exe can be used as well.
3) Config HM
-Done-


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spam Settings
PostPosted: 2012-09-07 06:35 
Normal user

Joined: 2012-07-29 15:31
Posts: 31
fmail wrote:
Hi

Maybe this can be used: http://www.jam-software.com/spamassassin
It run nice on my win server.
1) Install
2) Load spamd as a win32 service (I use http://www.firedaemon.com) but SC.exe can be used as well.
3) Config HM
-Done-


Do you need to run anything other that spamd once installed?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spam Settings
PostPosted: 2012-09-09 04:17 
Normal user

Joined: 2012-07-29 15:31
Posts: 31
The amount of spam I get per day has reduced from about 1500 to 1 or 2 per day

Fantastic!

All legitimate mail seems to come through just fine!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spam Settings
PostPosted: 2012-11-27 21:44 
New user
New user

Joined: 2012-11-27 21:41
Posts: 8
What are the best hMailServer ANTI-SPAM Settings or recommended.
Anyone


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spam Settings
PostPosted: 2012-11-27 22:52 
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 2005-07-29 16:18
Posts: 13792
Location: UK
^DooM^ wrote:
Code:
Anti-spam->General
------------------
Spam mark threshold = 6
Ticked all three boxes
Spam delete threshold = 20
Max size = 1024

Anti-spam->Spam tests
---------------------
All four ticked
All set to 1

Anti-spam->SpamAssassin (optional)
-----------------------
Do not use score from SA
Score = 6

Anti-spam->DNS blacklists
-------------------------
pbl.spamhaus.org         | 127.0.0.* | Rejected by http://www.spamhaus.org/pbl     | 5
sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org     | 127.0.0.* | Rejected by http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl-xbl | 5
bb.barracudacentral.org  | 127.0.0.* | Rejected by barracuda                       | 5
bl.score.senderscore.com | 127.0.0.* | Rejected based on SenderScore.org Result    | 5
bl.spameatingmonkey.net  | 127.0.0.* | Rejected by http://spameatingmonkey.com/    | 5

(for those wondering why I didn't just use Zen for spamhaus, I wanted to double up the scores from the PBL (dynamic ips) and sbl-xbl. If in both lists then definitely fail, but if only in one or the other still set the score high so it will fail on any other check but allow for possible false positive avoidance.)

Anti-spam->SURBL servers
------------------------
multi.surbl.org | Rejected by surbl.org | 2

Anti-spam->Greylisting
----------------------
Defer = 7
Remove un-used = 2
Remove used = 72
Bypass on spf/mx/a unticked

_________________
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spam Settings
PostPosted: 2012-11-29 22:55 
New user
New user

Joined: 2012-11-27 21:41
Posts: 8
Thank you Doom
for the HmailServer Spam Settings.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spam Settings
PostPosted: 2012-11-29 23:07 
New user
New user

Joined: 2012-11-27 21:41
Posts: 8
I read that catchall emails should not be used because they attrack spammer.
Is this true and should we not use this feature.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Spam Settings
PostPosted: 2012-11-30 10:46 
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: 2007-06-14 05:12
Posts: 11350
Location: 'The Outback' Australia
yes, catchall will get more spam

_________________
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
Documentation


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests



Search for:
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group