Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: TWC Road Runner mail server smtp setting for outgoing email
PostPosted: 2011-07-20 16:47 
New user
New user

My hmailserver has been working fine for couple years. I was using Verizon as my ISP. I used to have outgoing.verizon.net in the SETTINGS>>PROTOCOLS>>SMTP>>DEVLIERY OF EMAIL>>SMTP RELAYER, it works great to send email from hmailserver to Verizon mail server and out to the world.

Because Verizon raised my monthly rate to almost double of TWC Road Runner, I had to switch ISP. I have TWC RR now. Everything works, my web server works well. However, I tried and could not get the outgoing email works with TWC. TWC help desk gave me a pointer to their mail server. So I replaced the "outgoing.verizon.net" with "smtp-server.tx.rr.com", I cannot get any email going out.

May be I missed somewhere to change other setting in hmailserver. Or may be there is another mail server pointer for TWC that works. Can someone give me some guidance to debug my issue. :?:

Post subject: Re: TWC Road Runner mail server smtp setting for outgoing em
PostPosted: 2011-07-20 19:51 
Developer

jscjso,
Did you check to make sure road runner even lets you 'open relay' thru them like verizon did? In other words, it wouldn't surprise me if some ISP's restricted user sending to their own domain, such as you@roadrunner.com or whatever.. Or perhaps they require you to send to a special port besides 25 (465 is a common one but could be almost anything) or they might require to authenticate or login before sending.. Either way your hmail logs should show you what is happening during the attempts.
Bill

DOGE ME: DSqtEcqP3Qv6Tj2XrGNpDmEUkSBcpBsuWk

PostPosted: 2011-07-20 20:14 
Senior user
Senior user

When you setup verison relayer, you had to change port number and enable SSL. rr.com guides don't ask you to do that. Port number should be 25 and SSL is not enabled.

PostPosted: 2011-07-21 04:45 
New user
New user

Bill48105, dzekas,

With your directions, I focused on SSL, port, and rr requirement. I stepped into the "server requires authentication". I used to have this enabled and no SSL for Verizon. Now with this disabled and no SSL, it works. This is very surprising to me. Does this mean anyone in the world can point to xxxx-yyyy.tx.rr.com and use the rr mail server exchange to send email out? Wow, what a loophole in rr. The problem now is spammer can use this path to send spam email with blessing from TWC Road Runner. This will disguise well to other mail servers to accept spam.

Thanks, without your directions, I would not be able to focus and fix this. :D

I put xxxx-yyyy to cover up the real route to avoid spammer to see this. If you have previlege, please change my original message path to xxx-yyyy

PostPosted: 2011-07-21 05:35 
Developer

jscjso,
No worries as road running must limit based on the sending IP address which is common for some ISP's. In other words they see your IP in one of theirs & they allow you to relay thru them without authentication. Odds are they have other safety measures in place too such as rate limiting, scanning for the messages you send for spam etc. Anyway glad you figured it out.
Bill

DOGE ME: DSqtEcqP3Qv6Tj2XrGNpDmEUkSBcpBsuWk

PostPosted: 2011-07-21 17:05 
New user
New user

Bill,

That is right. TWC/RR controls the dynamic IP to my location. They know it is me as a customer even the dynamic IP is different everytime I unplug the modem/router and plug back in.

jscjso

PostPosted: 2012-01-11 04:07 
New user
New user

jscjso,

I just switch from comcast to verizon Fois. The hmail server stopped to send emails out. Could you help me out?

For example, what's port we need to use? what other changes I need to make? the user name is my full verizon email account or without @verizon.net?

Is there any possiblity you could remote access my hmail server and help me to reconfigure it?

Regards,

guang
guangchen55@yahoo.com

PostPosted: 2012-01-11 10:17 
Site Admin

Dclover23 wrote:
jscjso,

I just switch from comcast to verizon Fois. The hmail server stopped to send emails out. Could you help me out?

For example, what's port we need to use? what other changes I need to make? the user name is my full verizon email account or without @verizon.net?

Is there any possiblity you could remote access my hmail server and help me to reconfigure it?

Regards,

guang
guangchen55@yahoo.com

I suggest you read verizons terms and conditions about running mailservers and also read hmail forum rules about posting your issues on other peoples threads.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]