Post subject: Send emails from an ASP.NET application via hMailServer
PostPosted: 2010-04-06 00:21 
New user
New user

Hello, as Amazon EC2 instances don't have the SMTP service installed, I wanted to send emails from my ASP.NET application via hMailServer instead. I've installed it successfully and opened port 25 in my Windows Firewall and EC2 Security Group. I have not configured anything special in the hMailServer admin console and I get this error when trying to send email from my ASP.NET application:

"Unable to read data from the transport connection: net_io_connectionclosed."

After som Googleing this error message seems to be related to unreachable / unconnectable mailserver.

Any ideas what's wrong? Do I need to configure a domain in the hMailServer admin?

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Kenneth Solberg

Post subject: Re: Send emails from an ASP.NET application via hMailServer
PostPosted: 2010-04-06 00:51 
Site Admin

Yes you need to configure a domain.

I suggest you read the config docs.

PostPosted: 2010-06-18 07:57 
New user
New user

I found out that the Auto-Ban was enabled in hMailServer, and my ip address was auto-banned.

I went under Settings > Advanced > Ip ranges, and found out that my ip address was in the autoban list, i removed my IP Address from there, and also disabled auto-ban as i dont require auto-ban, and it started working, and i am nomore getting the net_io_connectionclosed error.

PostPosted: 2010-06-18 09:12 

Are you the original poster to this thread, with just another logon?
Are you saying that you have solved your issue?

If so great.
If not, I'm not sure what it is that you want...Can you explain it in more detail please.

PostPosted: 2010-07-01 05:23 
New user
New user

I'm having a similar issue. I have written a c# application that needs to be able to send out emails via an SMTP server that I can control. The application doesn't need to do anything with the SMTP server other than use it to send emails. To that end I don't need to receive via the hMailServer - just send. That may change as I learn more about mail servers but for right now I'd be happy with it sending emails.

I admit I'm still trying to get through the documentation trying to figure out what is the least configuring I can do to support SMTP. I was receiving an authentication error until I disabled Auto-banning. That's when I started getting:

Unable to read data from the transport connection: net_io_connectionclosed.

Any suggestions on what the least I can get away with configuration-wise to support SMTP would be helpful and why I can't get past the above listed error would be very helpful!

One other note of interest. I would like to be able to run hMailServer off of my laptop running windows 7 in my home using cable internet access. So I'm not running on a swanky server or on a dedicated internet connection. Very garage startup situation happening here. Thanx!

Eric

PostPosted: 2010-07-01 05:31 

You should start a new thread please....

If you just want to send via SMTP, then use IIS SMTP and not hMailserver at all, I'd reckon would be the easiest method.

In windows 7, go to Start >> Control Panel >> Programs and Features >> Turn Windows Features on of off >> IIS

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 10%29.aspx

PostPosted: 2010-07-01 06:18 
New user
New user

My apologies. I figured I had the same problem so I'd pick up the torch. I like the idea of using IIS/SMTP server, though. Sounds simpler. The problem I'm finding is that there is no SMTP server in IIS 7.5 on Windows 7. Or atleast I can't find it anywhere.

PostPosted: 2010-07-01 07:02 

Perhaps something like this - http://www.softstack.com/freesmtp.html

Don't know about it, just googled and found it

PostPosted: 2012-01-25 13:19 
New user
New user

patelharshilb wrote:
I found out that the Auto-Ban was enabled in hMailServer, and my ip address was auto-banned.

I went under Settings > Advanced > Ip ranges, and found out that my ip address was in the autoban list, i removed my IP Address from there, and also disabled auto-ban as i dont require auto-ban, and it started working, and i am nomore getting the net_io_connectionclosed error.

Thanks! This solved my issue. I was able to send out a few emails and then suddenly I started getting the net_io_connectionclosed error. Ineed, hMailServer auto banned me and this solved it.