Post subject: SMTP send: NOT OK(Failed to add recipient '[email protected]'
PostPosted: 2010-01-26 03:09 
New user
New user

Hi I'm receiving the following message with Roundcube:
SMTP send: NOT OK(Failed to add recipient '[email protected]')

I have hMailServer and everything is working fine with Thunderbird but I cannot figure it out where is the problem with Roundcube.

I'm not using SSL.

Regards

Post subject: Re: SMTP send: NOT OK(Failed to add recipient '[email protected]'
PostPosted: 2010-01-26 06:04 

perhaps ask on roundcube support forums

PostPosted: 2010-01-26 07:20 
Senior user
Senior user

HTF wrote:

This error comes from installer and not from main roundcube scripts or you use some older roundcube version.

If you use SMTP AUTH in Thunderbird (it does that by default) and haven't configured roundcube to use it, set roundcube configuration
Code:
$rcmail_config['smtp_user'] = '%u';
$rcmail_config['smtp_pass'] = '%p';
$rcmail_config['smtp_auth_type'] = 'LOGIN';

PostPosted: 2010-01-26 22:39 
New user
New user

dzekas wrote:
This error comes from installer and not from main roundcube scripts or you use some older roundcube version.

If you use SMTP AUTH in Thunderbird (it does that by default) and haven't configured roundcube to use it, set roundcube configuration
Code:
$rcmail_config['smtp_user'] = '%u';
$rcmail_config['smtp_pass'] = '%p';
$rcmail_config['smtp_auth_type'] = 'LOGIN';

Thank you, this solved the problem. I have one more question, is it possible to issue the SSL certyficate for hMailserver with windows certyficate service or I have to use OpenSSL?

PostPosted: 2010-01-26 23:24 
Developer
Developer

hMailServer uses OpenSSL to read certificates, so the certificate files needs to be in a format compatible with OpenSSL. hMailServer cannot use the Windows certificate stores.

PostPosted: 2010-01-27 08:42 
New user
New user

martin wrote:
hMailServer uses OpenSSL to read certificates, so the certificate files needs to be in a format compatible with OpenSSL. hMailServer cannot use the Windows certificate stores.

Thank you for reply.
I have created certyficate and set hMailserver to use SSL connection SMTP on port 465 and IMAP port 993 but I can't receive emails now, I'm able to send it but not receive it, firewall enabled on new ports and also tried with disabled firewall with no luck.
I'm not receiving any return emails on the one that I send it from?

Regards

PostPosted: 2010-01-27 08:46 
Senior user
Senior user

HTF wrote:
I have created certyficate and set hMailserver to use SSL connection SMTP on port 465 and IMAP port 993 but I can't receive emails now, I'm able to send it but not receive it, firewall enabled on new ports and also tried with disabled firewall with no luck.
I'm not receiving any return emails on the one that I send it from?

Regards

Don't turn off SMTP service on tcp 25 port.

PostPosted: 2010-01-27 08:54 
New user
New user

dzekas wrote:

As a default port or additional?

Also I've noticed that I created .csr and .key files but in help file states:

Quote:
To make hMailServer verify the servers certificate, a few steps must be taken:

1. Determine the certificate authority who have provided the certificate of the server you are connecting to. This can be done by running the command:
openssl s_client -connect ${URL}:${PORT}
for example:
openssl s_client -connect pop.gmail.com:995
The authority will be listed in the end of the certificate chain.
2. Retrieve the certificate from the certificate authority. This can be done either by contacting the certificate authority, or by exporting it from your local web browser. Firefox includes certificates for most larger certificate authorities. The certificate file must be in PEM format.
3. Calculate the hash for the certificate. This can be done by executing the following command:
openssl x509 -in "C:\path\to\ca.pem" -hash
The first line will show the hash of the file. As an example, the hash for Equifax Secure CA is 594f1775.
4. Rename the certificate PEM file to <hash>.0 (the file name should be hash and the extension should be 0 (a zero). In the Equifax example, the file should be named 594f1775.0.
5. Place the file in the folder C:\Program Files\hMailServer\Externals\CA.
6. Restart the hMailServer service.

Do I have to follow this steps for self signed certyficate

PostPosted: 2010-01-27 09:05 
Senior user
Senior user

HTF wrote:
dzekas wrote:

As a default port or additional?

Email servers expect SMTP service on tcp 25 port without SSL support. 465 port is for SMTP over SSL and it can be used by your email clients to send emails that require authorization.

If you turn off SMTP service on 25 port or enable SSL on that port, you won't get emails from external email servers.

If you run real email server with SSL support and want to reduce your support issues, get signed certificate. Basic signed SSL cert costs only 29 USD + VAT or less a year.

If you ask new questions about hMailServer, please start new topic. Don't ask new questions on unrelated threads.

PostPosted: 2010-01-27 10:30 
New user
New user

dzekas wrote:
Email servers expect SMTP service on tcp 25 port without SSL support. 465 port is for SMTP over SSL and it can be used by your email clients to send emails that require authorization.

If you turn off SMTP service on 25 port or enable SSL on that port, you won't get emails from external email servers.

If you run real email server with SSL support and want to reduce your support issues, get signed certificate. Basic signed SSL cert costs only 29 USD + VAT or less a year.

All fine now thx, I'm just testing everything at the moment so self-signed should be enough for now, how I can confirm/check that the connection is really secure now?
Do you think that roundcube is best otion as a web client and is there any way that users could change the password themself or maybe even creat accounts?

PostPosted: 2010-01-27 10:43 
Senior user
Senior user

HTF wrote:
All fine now thx, I'm just testing everything at the moment so self-signed should be enough for now, how I can confirm/check that the connection is really secure now?

Get managed switch and run packet sniffer on mirrored port, or run packet sniffer on webserver or run packet sniffer on router, if you can. See all gobbledygook that sniffer can capture on SSL enabled ports and compare it with traffic on standard SMTP/POP3/IMAP/HTTP ports.

If users use HTTPS, POPS, IMAPS and SMTP-over-SSL, their passwords will be protected. If you enable Auto-Ban in hMailServer, bruteforce attacks should be slowed down. Bruteforce attacks might still work on webmail and your webmail will need some extension to handle bruteforce attacks against users' passwords.

HTF wrote:
Do you think that roundcube is best otion as a web client and is there any way that users could change the password themself or maybe even creat accounts?

I can't give recommendations on webmail clients. It depends on what you expect from webmail and which scripting languages are available on webserver. hMailServer has plugins to change passwords in SquirrelMail. IMP and Roundcube can allow end users to change their passwords, if you can create appropriate plugins or extensions.

If you want to allow account creation, see scripts posted on forum's Scripts section.