Corona Virus

Forum for things that doesn't really have anything to do with hMailServer. Such as php.ini, beer, etc etc.
Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Corona Virus

Post by Dravion » 2020-02-27 21:10

Shit, now italy and germany has rising infection rates.

I dont hope its getting out of control!

jimimaseye

Re: Corona Virus

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-02-27 21:14

IMG-20200227-WA0000.jpg
5.7 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2020-02-27 21:26

Lol :D

mattg

Post by mattg » 2020-02-29 23:30

This is the graphic that I've been watching (with my 'Health' hat on) - Put together by John Hopkins centre in the USA - https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6

Seems to be pretty good data, with all sources shown.
The media tend to a be a bit all over the place about they report this.

(The big 'spike' was when China decided to include persons confirmed to have the virus but with no symptoms, as it was established that you could be contagious before you have symptoms)

North Korea apparently has ZERO cases, despite there being thousands of cases reported on all sides. Their border protection must be really good.

The 'Others' is that single cruise ship. About 3500 berths and about 700 crew and staff, currently more than 700 confirmed cases. That's more than 1 in 6. They have climbed to 6 deaths just from that ship (up from ONE a couple of days ago). Oh and most of the passengers knew about the virus before they embarked. Their patient Zero left the ship with no symptoms, and developed symptoms about five days later.
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-02-29 23:49

SørenR.

“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.”
― Edmund Burke

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-03-01 03:21

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-03-15 23:33

Shit is getting real. Went shopping at 4 different stores today. All of them except one (a specialty food store - not a supermarket) were cleaned out of bread, pasta, rice, water and most cheese. I managed to get what I needed, but it was an effort. I'm good to hunker down for an entire month if necessary. I have a freezer full of meat & veggies and storage shelves full of dry goods. Bring on the zombies!

They just closed the schools for 2 weeks. People are stocking up because it could get worse before it gets better.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-03-16 00:04

palinka wrote:
2020-03-15 23:33
Shit is getting real. Went shopping at 4 different stores today. All of them except one (a specialty food store - not a supermarket) were cleaned out of bread, pasta, rice, water and most cheese. I managed to get what I needed, but it was an effort. I'm good to hunker down for an entire month if necessary. I have a freezer full of meat & veggies and storage shelves full of dry goods. Bring on the zombies!

They just closed the schools for 2 weeks. People are stocking up because it could get worse before it gets better.
You're late in the game bro...

4 days ago ... https://www.thelocal.dk/20200311/denmar ... ight-virus

2 days ago ... https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidnikel ... 62a6e1726d

11 hours ago ... http://cphpost.dk/?p=111178

Mexico may be closing it's borders to US - To keep Americans OUT :mrgreen:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/ ... 03402.html

Anyways... The definition of irony got to be Trump catching a Chinese virus named after a Mexican beer :mrgreen:

https://uspreppers.com/
SørenR.

― Edmund Burke

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-03-16 00:46

SorenR wrote:
2020-03-16 00:04
You're late in the game bro...
I know, right? That's why the shelves are bare. I got a late start.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-03-16 00:58

were cleaned out of bread, pasta, rice, water and most cheese
In the U.K. it's toilet rolls. For some reason the (idiotic) public think an apocalypse is coming and started panic buying and emptied the shelf of toilet rolls!!

Ffs! The world has gone mad. What do they think is going to happen? The government say that you must not leave your house for 2 months and never go shopping? Come on, fools. You don't have radiation and the government will not stop you shopping. And even if they did, what do you think you are going to need 72 toilet rolls for without any food?!

[Entered by mobile. Excuse my spelling.]
5.7 on test.
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2020-03-16 01:02

A Nurse i know has talked to me.

They are stealing Toillet Rolls from the Hospitals now^^

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-03-16 01:32

jimimaseye wrote:
2020-03-16 00:58
In the U.K. it's toilet rolls. For some reason the (idiotic) public think an apocalypse is coming and started panic buying and emptied the shelf of toilet rolls!!

Ffs! The world has gone mad. What do they think is going to happen? The government say that you must not leave your house for 2 months and never go shopping? Come on, fools. You don't have radiation and the government will not stop you shopping. And even if they did, what do you think you are going to need 72 toilet rolls for without any food?!

F*** the toilet rolls ... Just you wait ... Reality will hit you soon enough. Then you'll realize that having 30.000+ people at a horse show and I don't know how many spectators at a badminton championship (yes I know Viktor Axelson won - Go Denmark!) and at the same time people are dropping dead all around us may not have been the most clever thing to do...

Wife's niece is a pediatric nurse (and a helicopter pilot) at a hospital north of London so she'll be in the crossfire, also wife works in the second largest ER's in the Copenhagen area so it's very real for us.
SørenR.

― Edmund Burke

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-03-16 01:38

Dravion wrote:
2020-03-16 01:02
A Nurse i know has talked to me.

They are stealing Toillet Rolls from the Hospitals now^^
Here it's masks and alchohol.
SørenR.

― Edmund Burke

mattg

Post by mattg » 2020-03-16 01:40

As I've said, I work in healthcare

people are stealing not just toilet paper. There are 5 litre bottle of concentrated clinical cleaning compounds going missing, hand sanitizer, masks, gloves...you name it

Here in Aus (still no toilet paper on the shelves) we are having supermarket chains limit how much toilet paper, rice, pasta, milk, eggs, bread, meat can be purchased in a single transaction. Today one chain announce that only pensioners and the disabiled will be allowed into the store for the first hour of trading, so they don't get knocked over in the brawls. This same chain ensured that all meals-on-wheels recipients nationally get free toilet paper with every meal delivery (Meals-on-wheels is a system where the elderly and disaabled get a hot lunch delivered to their door every day for free if they register)
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-03-16 02:37

jimimaseye wrote:
2020-03-16 00:58

The fear is not forced closings or martial law (mostly). The real fear is closings because people are sick or afraid of getting sick. Imagine if a few trucking companies or grocery distributors close temporarily. Disruptions in the supply chain can lead to empty shelves fast - especially when people are already panicky and hording. And don't forget, gubbemints all around are telling people to stay home, don't go to work, school, events, etc. I've noticed people already using it as an excuse not to go to work or attend meetings. It's going to get worse as these waves of school closings roll through because they're highly visible signals of SHTF (shit hitting the fan).

The psychological aspect of this is as real as the disease itself. Probably worse.

Stay safe. Stock up. Get armed. Be ready. If nothing happens, all you did was handle your normal shopping in advance and you won't have to go to the supermarket for a while. No biggie. But if we get real SHTF and you didn't do your preparation....

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-03-16 02:40

mattg wrote:
2020-03-16 01:40
(Meals-on-wheels is a system where the elderly and disaabled get a hot lunch delivered to their door every day for free if they register)
My grandfather used to volunteer to deliver. He was in his 80s and older than every last one of his delivery recipients. :mrgreen:

mattg

Post by mattg » 2020-03-16 04:36

palinka wrote:
2020-03-16 02:37
The fear is not forced closings or martial law (mostly). The real fear is closings because people are sick or afraid of getting sick. Imagine if a few trucking companies or grocery distributors close temporarily. Disruptions in the supply chain can lead to empty shelves fast - especially when people are already panicky and hording. And don't forget, gubbemints all around are telling people to stay home, don't go to work, school, events, etc. I've noticed people already using it as an excuse not to go to work or attend meetings. It's going to get worse as these waves of school closings roll through because they're highly visible signals of SHTF (shit hitting the fan).

The psychological aspect of this is as real as the disease itself. Probably worse.

Stay safe. Stock up. Get armed. Be ready. If nothing happens, all you did was handle your normal shopping in advance and you won't have to go to the supermarket for a while. No biggie. But if we get real SHTF and you didn't do your preparation....
We have a saying in Australia

It goes along the lines of 'Only in America...'
I can see how you think that this is OK, but that's not how we would do it.

We've seen the 'purge' movies, and what you describe is that scary.
Stay safe bud.

Today in Australia we are worried that our footy competitions will go broke without crowds in attendance, and there are calls for the government to give professional football players money...absurd really.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-03-16 13:24

mattg wrote:
2020-03-16 04:36
We have a saying in Australia

It goes along the lines of 'Only in America...'
I can see how you think that this is OK, but that's not how we would do it.
Whatever I think about the situation has absolutely no impact on what happens in reality. That's why you plan for the worst and hope for the best. If the SHTF I'm in a relatively good position. If the whole thing blows over, then I have my month's shopping done. Very little harm there.
We've seen the 'purge' movies, and what you describe is that scary.
Stay safe bud.
I haven't heard of anyone around here stealing toilet paper and hand soap from hospitals. :lol:

But yeah, the reality is practically every metropolitan area in the world is feeling the same effects and what most of them have in common is a criminal, dependent underclass for whom random violence is a part of daily life. If you're near these people in a time of general want, you need to be extra careful.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-03-16 13:39

The real question here is will overall spam volume increase because spammers are quarantined with nothing else to do except come up with new and novel ways to spam? Or will volume decrease due to companies closing down and shutting off avenues of bot infection? :mrgreen:

tunis
Senior user
Senior user

Post by tunis » 2020-03-16 15:54

I have got spam for face masks.
HMS 5.6.8 B2494.25 on Windows Server 2019 Core VM.
HMS 5.6.8 B2494.24 on Windows Server 2016 Core VM.
HMS 5.6.7 B2425.16 on Windows Server 2012 R2 Core VM.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-03-16 17:51

I've got spam for eating during the apocalypse. :mrgreen:

5.7 on test.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-03-16 22:20

Holy crap, there's no immunity. You can get it over and over until it finally kills you.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/f ... le/2762452

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-03-16 23:25

palinka wrote:
2020-03-16 22:20
Holy crap, there's no immunity. You can get it over and over until it finally kills you.

Hold your horses... They don't know that for sure, experts say it is unlikely to become re-infected once the virus is pathologically gone. Problem is they don't know how to check that the virus is actually gone...

On another note... Anti-bodies for MERS (another Corona variant) only lasts about 6 months ... :|
SørenR.

― Edmund Burke

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-03-16 23:29

SorenR wrote:
2020-03-16 23:25
palinka wrote:
2020-03-16 22:20

Hold your horses... They don't know that for sure, experts say it is unlikely to become re-infected once the virus is pathologically gone. Problem is they don't know how to check that the virus is actually gone...

On another note... Anti-bodies for MERS (another Corona variant) only lasts about 6 months ... :|
This is black plague level shit, bro. Stock up. Hole up. Arm up.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2020-03-17 04:36

And like most flu / virus variants it will likely morph as it travels through people, that's why the flu comes back year in year out, despite us having a vaccine for it. different strains.

We really don't know enough about this virus yet.

(That article details a patient sample size of 4, and for that reason alone should NOT be trusted)

fjansen04
Normal user
Normal user

Post by fjansen04 » 2020-03-17 12:09

Now that many people are at home, with time on their hands, may I respectfully ask our learned friends to have a look at this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=32739
HMS 5.6.8 B2494 on Windows Server 2016

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-03-17 13:13

fjansen04 wrote:
2020-03-17 12:09
Now that many people are at home, with time on their hands, may I respectfully ask our learned friends to have a look at this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=32739
Why would people have more time on their hands? It's business as usual for 90% of the danish white-collar workers, people are still working - the only change now is distance to work is now 5 meters and not 95 kilometers. :mrgreen:

Schools has gone virtual on the Internet using student portals. My son is working on his A-levels in science and the main change is more homework... :wink:

It's mainly leisure, hospitality and event businesses that are suffering big time.
SørenR.

― Edmund Burke

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-03-17 13:54

SorenR wrote:
2020-03-17 13:13
It's mainly leisure, hospitality and event businesses that are suffering big time.
And airlines. Worse than 9/11, supposedly. My brother is worried about getting laid off. He works for some kind of airline maintenance support company. He said they already laid off 45 executives. They're not firing any mechanics. He's sort of the executive mechanic, so he doesn't know if the hammer will drop or not.

I already work from home and so does my wife. Ironically, my wife is going into the office MORE often now to handle some daily tasks because no one else is there to do it. But she drives in, so it's a lot less risky than taking the train. Funny thing is hardly anyone is working and there are no tourists, so you would think traffic would be completely clear, but the few people actually working are avoiding the train so traffic is almost at a normal level.

A friend told me he was in times square last week and it was dead empty. Its really bizarre.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-03-21 09:22

So the uk has Clare pubs restaurants cafes etc. Now the people will REALLY feel the bite of the virus and without even being infected. All in the name of social distancing of course.

And then there are the aussies - This was Bondi beach yesterday:
IMG-20200321-WA0001.jpg
Social distancing, anyone?
5.7 on test.

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2020-03-21 10:43

In Germany, some Regions are on Lockdown.

If you dare to go out (except, going to work or to a food or a drugstore or a Doctor) you risk getting a fine up to 25.000 EUR or multiple years in jail.

Now, more and more young people getting the Virus as well. Its showdown time.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-03-21 11:04

Food for thought:

BBC News - Coronavirus: Have UK experts over-egged deaths?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654

And some info:

Measles - R0 is 12 (minimum)
Influenza - R0 is about 1.4
Covid 19 - about 1.4.

Google this to see what I'm talking about

(Hint: lower is better and less than 1 is desired).

And yet.........
5.7 on test.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-03-21 14:03

Traffic update: getting much lighter. NY's King George (mob boss Andrew (figlio di Mario) Cuomo, capo di tutti di capo) has declared we stay at home starting tomorrow night. I expect traffic to drop to normal Sunday morning levels.

In other news, they've robbed me of my spring striper fishing spots by setting up drive through testing in the fishermen parking lot at my local beach. I don't care. I'm still going to go at my usual time - 3am - and drive around the barriers. Let them chase me out after dawn.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-03-21 14:06

Dravion wrote:
2020-03-21 10:43
In Germany, some Regions are on Lockdown.

If you dare to go out (except, going to work or to a food or a drugstore or a Doctor) you risk getting a fine up to 25.000 EUR or multiple years in jail.

Now, more and more young people getting the Virus as well. Its showdown time.
That is outrageous and unenforceable. I'd like to see the outcome of that.

It's like handgun ownership here. You can't get a permit to carry. The only time you can carry is when you're on your way to the range for practice. So of course, you're forever on your way to the range.

I'm forever on my way to the grocery store.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-03-22 16:52

palinka wrote:
2020-03-16 13:39
The real question here is will overall spam volume increase because spammers are quarantined with nothing else to do except come up with new and novel ways to spam? Or will volume decrease due to companies closing down and shutting off avenues of bot infection? :mrgreen:
So far I'm seeing a lull in spam attempts. Many offices are empty, and I'm guessing that many bot infected workstations are shut off. That's pure speculation, but logically it makes sense.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2020-03-23 01:40

jimimaseye wrote:
2020-03-21 09:22

IMG-20200321-WA0001.jpg

Our pubs, clubs, cafes, restaurants, gyms and places of worship close in a couple of hours (midday here)
Most states have closed their borders
A couple of states are going to essential services only within 24 hours

Aussies were asked to social distance and to stay at home, just that many didn't

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-03-23 13:30

mattg wrote:
2020-03-23 01:40
jimimaseye wrote:
2020-03-21 09:22

IMG-20200321-WA0001.jpg

Our pubs, clubs, cafes, restaurants, gyms and places of worship close in a couple of hours (midday here)
Most states have closed their borders
A couple of states are going to essential services only within 24 hours

Aussies were asked to social distance and to stay at home, just that many didn't
Everywhere in Denmark where people (used to) meet IS closed! Farmacies, Supermarkets, Food shops (with sufficient space) are open. Since so many people have been sent home the biggest hardware stores are open.
Blue collar business are open IF they can provide sufficient space between workers and so is the rest of the business world where sufficient space can be guaranteed. Most if not all officies have sent people home with a phone, an internet connection and a laptop so for 80% of Denmark is it business as usual except distance to work is substantially shorter.

Restaurants, bars, disco's, SPA's and all that is closed down and hotels are shutting down too.

People are instructed to keep a 2 meter distance. If you don't all are issued a fine (by the police). A "group" is maximum 10 persons. Also subject to a collective fine if not followed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppP3A_NSMjM
Attachments
90576657_10222881736731868_4595541468289957888_n.jpg
SørenR.

― Edmund Burke

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-03-23 14:09

SorenR wrote:
2020-03-23 13:30
Everywhere in Denmark where people (used to) meet IS closed! Farmacies, Supermarkets, Food shops (with sufficient space) are open. Since so many people have been sent home the biggest hardware stores are open.
Blue collar business are open IF they can provide sufficient space between workers and so is the rest of the business world where sufficient space can be guaranteed. Most if not all officies have sent people home with a phone, an internet connection and a laptop so for 80% of Denmark is it business as usual except distance to work is substantially shorter.

Restaurants, bars, disco's, SPA's and all that is closed down and hotels are shutting down too.

People are instructed to keep a 2 meter distance. If you don't all are issued a fine (by the police). A "group" is maximum 10 persons. Also subject to a collective fine if not followed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppP3A_NSMjM
Pretty much the same in UK without the police enforcement and fines..... yet.
5.7 on test.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-03-23 17:21

Judging by the news, midtown Manhattan is empty. I'm thinking of driving in just to drag race down Broadway.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-03-23 17:38

SørenR.

― Edmund Burke

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-03-23 17:52

SorenR wrote:
2020-03-23 17:38
2016 Ford Explorer Sport. Pretty quick. 365 HP twin turbo. :mrgreen:

Its fun to drive on the highway. Comfortable on the pothole infested city streets. Nice balance.

There's even power windows and moon roof that I can open AND close, and even keep closed when I want. :mrgreen:

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-03-23 18:42

palinka wrote:
2020-03-23 17:52
SorenR wrote:
2020-03-23 17:38
2016 Ford Explorer Sport. Pretty quick. 365 HP twin turbo. :mrgreen:

Its fun to drive on the highway. Comfortable on the pothole infested city streets. Nice balance.

There's even power windows and moon roof that I can open AND close, and even keep closed when I want. :mrgreen:
Left lane...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBaj9KRqfTQ

1/4 mile 13.4 sec @ 105 mph (0-60 ~ 4,5 sec)

Yes, a 1999 Audi S4 Avant 2.7 Twin Turbo, reverse DV's, Samco 90 PSI hoses, JHM short shifter, JHM DTS and some other shit ;-), Full Bilstein PSS9 suspension and full cabin + spare ...

R U Faster Than a Redneck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNJEQ90_wFk

Sold it back in 2013, still miss the 340hp/520nm @ 1.680 kg car...

Now I drive this: 1982 2.1 5-cyl Turbo quattro

and this: 1992 2.3 5-cyl
SørenR.

― Edmund Burke

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-03-23 19:16

SorenR wrote:
2020-03-23 18:42
R U Faster Than a Redneck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNJEQ90_wFk
You have to give it up for the mustang driver. His car was slightly more powerful, but weighs almost twice as much with a state of the art (circa 1940) suspension. He really held his own, I'd say. :mrgreen:

Actually one of the most impressive things about my Explorer is the suspension. Not that I've pushed it anywhere near the limit, but there is no roll in turns. It's stiff and plush at the same time. Engineering has really come a long way in that regard.

Here it is in my color: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=2016+ford+exp ... &ia=images

I found one picture on the beach. You know, one of those marketing photos. I got the beach driving permit (for fishing) 2 years ago and didn't take it out one single time. I prefer walking, honestly. The only reason I got the permit was for family picnics on the beach, but during the summer they close the entrance between 7am and 5pm to prevent people from doing that. LOL they got my permit money...

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-03-29 14:23

I spent the day sewing surgical masks yesterday. After a bunch of research, I decided on a design that balances effectiveness and comfort.

Here are a couple of links that pointed me in the right direction:

https://mustsharenews.com/cloth-face-mask/
https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/bes ... ask-virus/

They're very simple to make. It took me about an hour to make each one. Open sourcing the design. :D

Materials:

* reuseable shopping bag
* 100% cotton t-shirt
* tissue paper

One of the links talks about non-woven material. This goes on the outside. The best I could find was a reuseable Aldi shopping bag. You can breath through it easily and its water resistant. I put the bag under the faucet and water beaded up and rolled off without coming through the material. This is IMPORTANT because airborne corona virus travels through coughing and sneezing and is contained in droplets. Keeping that crap out of the mask to the greatest extent possible is important.

1) Trim the corner hems from the bag and save them! They make great strings for the mask.
2) Cut up the t-shirt and the bag into pieces about 10" x 6" (do your own metric conversion :mrgreen: ).
3) Hem one edge of the each.
4) Sew the 2 pieces together on the 3 non-hemmed sides. The hems are the top of the mask and they will form a pocket when you're done.
5) Hem the bottom of the mask.
6) Pleat the mask and sew over the pleat on the sides. Lookup pictures of any surgical mask to see what I'm talking about. The pleats are necessary to make the mask fit your face properly.
7) Fold the left/right edges over 1" and sew at the fold in order to form a loop. The loop is to pass the string or elastic band through.

That's it for construction. If you can't find a suitable non-woven, water resistant material, then use a pillowcase or t-shirt for the outside layer. Anything is better than nothing. Research shows multiple layers of cotton are not much better than one layer, but you need the pocket, so anything is better than nothing.

The filter is tissue paper. The paper should be wetted, then dried. The matted fibers after drying help to contain corona-containing vapors and reduce the sieve size. I also have activated charcoal that I plan to experiment with. If I get any success with the activated charcoal, I'll update this later.

As far as effectiveness against the virus itself - there is lots of debate about that. Its true that the virus is tinier than any mask (even N-95 masks) can filter. But that's not the point. The virus only travels in a medium, which is vapor and droplets coming from people coughing and sneezing. The mask, in conjunction with glasses, gloves and generally avoiding proximity to other people will protect you when you do have to go outside for shopping or whatever. There are propagandists telling people not to wear masks. DO NOT LISTEN TO THOSE RETARDS. I don't know or care what their motivations are, but they are simply wrong.

The benefit of the mask is multidimensional in that its mostly effective at keeping the virus OUT - but its 99.99% effective at keeping the virus IN!!!! If you have it asymptomatically, wearing a mask protects everyone around you. If everyone wore a mask ALL THE TIME, we could go back to work and knock this thing out in no time.

Buy or make a mask. Wear it every time you go outside.
IMG_20200329_083042_01.jpg
IMG_20200329_083045_01.jpg
Last edited by palinka on 2020-03-29 14:32, edited 1 time in total.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2020-03-29 14:31

good work

In my view any mask is better than none, the shopping bag is a good idea

The only time that cloth masks are bad is when they are worn all day and aren't changed.
Make a few, carry a spare, wash in hot water after each use...

If you can make many, your local ED may find a use for them. Ask them.

Stay safe

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-03-29 14:50

mattg wrote:
2020-03-29 14:31
good work

In my view any mask is better than none, the shopping bag is a good idea

The only time that cloth masks are bad is when they are worn all day and aren't changed.
Make a few, carry a spare, wash in hot water after each use...

If you can make many, your local ED may find a use for them. Ask them.

Stay safe
Its a lot of work to make one. Maybe a real seamstress could do it quicker, but I'm just a stitch bitch with a cheap Brother sewing machine. Its a far cry from my mom's old Singer. It took me all day to make 5 (including the prototype). Need several more so there are spares. No time to make them for outsiders. Family first and I have a big family.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-03-29 16:24

Can I just say one thing ...

Masks are ONLY good for NOT spreading virus to OTHER PEOPLE!

Wash your hands ... you don't need alchohol - well, perhaps for drinking ;) ...

An advice I got;
1: Wash hands thoroughly
2: Dry hands thoroughly
3: Slice a couple of red chillies and rub on your hands ...

That'll teach you to NOT TOUCH YOUR EYES, NOSE AND MOUTH!

Then WASH YOUR HANDS !

It's really that simple - OH and keep a distance of 2 meters to other people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SfHdSHK-g0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaY8Wbzu2m4
SørenR.

― Edmund Burke

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-03-29 16:36

SorenR wrote:
2020-03-29 16:24

That is NOT TRUE. They are indeed particularly effective at not spreading the virus to others. But they are also effective against catching the virus. Anyone who tells you otherwise should be written off.

Anyway, if everyone wore a mask, we wouldn't need the lockdown.

In terms of protection, the mask is only one item of several that you need, with maintaining distance and careful disinfection being very important.

We have a disinfection protocol for bringing things into the house - and even for entering the house.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-03-29 17:42

palinka wrote:
2020-03-29 16:36
SorenR wrote:

That is NOT TRUE. ..... But they are also effective against catching the virus. Anyone who tells you otherwise should be written off.

Oh boy.

Man with virus wears a mask. Man blows his nose then touches door handle.

Another man with mask touches same door handle then rubs his eyes. Man catches virus.

Mask did it's job then...... not.

The virus is not airborne and only caught by contact. But hey... Americans know better the rest of the world as evident in their current infection cases. They (125,000+) have even passed China (82,000) who were the highest.... and were always wearing masks.

I for one am looking forward to see how the u.s ends up (what with them considering economy and finance more important than people's health). [Coronavirus: Trump backs away from New York quarantine
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52080119 ]
5.7 on test.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-03-29 18:03

First of all... We lived in Singapore during SARS so I can honestly say; Been there, Done that.

Second... The easiest way to meet my wife is to crash your car, get stabbed or get shot in Copenhagen. You'll have a 33% chance of ending up at the ER where she works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPNsTzq2wRQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWzbArPgo-o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdoN_XsHWBI
SørenR.

― Edmund Burke

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-03-29 18:18

jimimaseye wrote:
2020-03-29 17:42
palinka wrote:
2020-03-29 16:36
SorenR wrote:

That is NOT TRUE. ..... But they are also effective against catching the virus. Anyone who tells you otherwise should be written off.

Oh boy.

Man with virus wears a mask. Man blows his nose then touches door handle.

Another man with mask touches same door handle then rubs his eyes. Man catches virus.

Mask did it's job then...... not.

The virus is not airborne and only caught by contact. But hey... Americans know better the rest of the world as evident in their current infection cases. They (125,000+) have even passed China (82,000) who were the highest.... and were always wearing masks.

I for one am looking forward to see how the u.s ends up (what with them considering economy and finance more important than people's health). [Coronavirus: Trump backs away from New York quarantine
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52080119 ]
You can't control what other people do and it's no measure of what you should be doing. Wear gloves and glasses.

And it is airborne. Where did you get there idea that it's not? Maybe from the gubbemint officials telling people not to wear masks while simultaneously saying all health case and gubbemint officials need masks so don't hoard them. You got the idea from those people?

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-03-29 18:47

palinka wrote:
2020-03-29 18:18
And it is airborne. Where did you get there idea that it's not? Maybe from the gubbemint officials telling people not to wear masks while simultaneously saying all health case and gubbemint officials need masks so don't hoard them. You got the idea from those people?
Watch the videos I posted above...

Expect anything coming from CDC or Trump to be based on ulterior motives, they really don't care how many dies from this as long as it's Business as usual.
SørenR.

― Edmund Burke

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-03-29 18:51

palinka wrote:
And it is airborne. Where did you get there idea that it's not?
The world health officials and scientists. https://www.who.int/news-room/commentar ... mendations

Where did you get the idea what was? Presumably not the scientist (because they are not saying it) and not your government (as you are so disparaging about them being liars). Or maybe it is ONLY your knows-better-than-the-rest government you believe.

Like I say, I look forward to seeing how you guys end up.

Viva Trump (if he can survive corona)!

5.7 on test.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-03-29 19:30

jimimaseye wrote:
2020-03-29 18:51
palinka wrote:
And it is airborne. Where did you get there idea that it's not?
The world health officials and scientists. https://www.who.int/news-room/commentar ... mendations

Where did you get the idea what was? Presumably not the scientist (because they are not saying it) and not your government (as you are so disparaging about them being liars). Or maybe it is ONLY your knows-better-than-the-rest government you believe.

Like I say, I look forward to seeing how you guys end up.

Viva Trump (if he can survive corona)!

What? Your own link acknowledges airborne transmission.

Every breath you exhale contains aerosolized water along with anything small enough to be carried by it.

Trusting gubbemint sources is foolish. Their agenda, in part, is to keep the panic down. You know they're lying when they contradict themselves in these same sentence. "Don't wear masks" ~seconds later~ "we need all the masks you can make at home". Right....

Id say this falls into the category of "You can't control what other people do and it's no measure of what you should be doing."

Whether or not you or anyone else wears a mask won't alter my behavior. I offer my informed suggestions only.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-03-29 19:31

SorenR wrote:
2020-03-29 18:47
palinka wrote:
Watch the videos I posted above...

Expect anything coming from CDC or Trump to be based on ulterior motives, they really don't care how many dies from this as long as it's Business as usual.
I did and I agree with you. Never trust a politician. Not even St. Donald the Magnificent.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-03-29 19:51

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/f ... le/2749214
Question
Is the use of N95 respirators or medical masks more effective in preventing influenza infection among outpatient health care personnel in close contact with patients with suspected respiratory illness?

Findings
In this pragmatic, cluster randomized clinical trial involving 2862 health care personnel, there was no significant difference in the incidence of laboratory-confirmed influenza among health care personnel with the use of N95 respirators (8.2%) vs medical masks (7.2%).

Meaning
As worn by health care personnel in this trial, use of N95 respirators, compared with medical masks, in the outpatient setting resulted in no significant difference in the rates of laboratory-confirmed influenza.
Masks work.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-03-29 19:57

palinka wrote:
2020-03-29 19:51
Question
Is the use of N95 respirators or medical masks more effective in preventing influenza infection among outpatient health care personnel in close contact with patients with suspected respiratory illness?

Findings
In this pragmatic, cluster randomized clinical trial involving 2862 health care personnel, there was no significant difference in the incidence of laboratory-confirmed influenza among health care personnel with the use of N95 respirators (8.2%) vs medical masks (7.2%).

Meaning
As worn by health care personnel in this trial, use of N95 respirators, compared with medical masks, in the outpatient setting resulted in no significant difference in the rates of laboratory-confirmed influenza.
Masks work.
There is no control group (no mask) in that test... All it proves is that one mask is as good (or bad) as the other one in a controlled environment.
SørenR.

― Edmund Burke

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-03-29 20:04

SorenR wrote:
2020-03-29 19:57
palinka wrote:
2020-03-29 19:51
Question

Findings

Meaning
Masks work.
There is no control group (no mask) in that test... All it proves is that one mask is as good (or bad) as the other one in a controlled environment.

That defies common sense and the collective wisdom of 150 years of modern medicine.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-03-29 20:38

palinka wrote:
2020-03-29 19:30
What? Your own link acknowledges airborne transmission.
Read again.
According to current evidence, COVID-19 virus is transmitted between people through respiratory droplets and contact routes.

Droplet transmission occurs when a person is in in close contact (within 1 m) with someone who has respiratory symptoms (e.g.  coughing or sneezing,) and is therefore at risk of having his/her mucosae (mouth and nose) or conjunctiva (eyes) exposed to potentially infective respiratory droplets (which are generally considered to be > 5-10 μm in diameter). Droplet transmission may also occur through fomites in the immediate environment around the infected person.7Therefore, transmission of the COVID-19 virus can occur by direct contact with infected people and indirect contact with surfaces in the immediate environment or with objects used on the infected person (e.g. stethoscope or thermometer). 

Airborne transmission is different from droplet transmission as it refers to the presence of microbes within droplet nuclei, which are generally considered to be particles < 5μm in diameter, and which result from the evaporation of larger droplets or exist within dust particles.
Covid does not travel through evaporation, ergo, not classed as airborne.

Throwing a tennis ball covered in dirt through the air doesnt class the dirt as airbourne.
5.7 on test.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-03-29 20:46

jimimaseye wrote:
2020-03-29 20:38
Throwing a tennis ball covered in dirt through the air doesnt class the dirt as airbourne.
But wearing a mask will keep your face from getting dirty if you get hit with the ball.

Also new research on the social distancing zone being 4 times too small. Why? Airborne virus laden coughs and sneezes that "can remain suspended in the air for several hours."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -risk.html

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-03-29 21:05

palinka wrote:
2020-03-29 20:04
SorenR wrote:
2020-03-29 19:57

That defies common sense and the collective wisdom of 150 years of modern medicine.
150 years of modern medicine??
In the early 1940s, Werner Henle, of the University of Pennsylvania, used children at Pennhurst—a Pennsylvania facility for the mentally deficient—in his research to develop an influenza vaccine.
While Henle was researching his influenza vaccine at Pennhurst, Jonas Salk concurrently worked on an influenza vaccine, using adult residents (ranging in age from 20 to 70 years) at the Ypsilanti State School in Michigan.
SørenR.

― Edmund Burke