Post subject: What antivirus program is the best
PostPosted: 2011-01-20 09:26 
New user
New user

What antivirus program is the best for a computer? I know that Norton might rock, but myself personally, I can't tolerate the way it uses all of my ram and slows my computer down. I use spy bot, but that isn't enough. Is there anyone out there who knows of an antivirus program that will not eat up my bank account or my computer's capacity to function at a normal rate? Thank you for your time......

Post subject: Re: What antivirus program is the best
PostPosted: 2011-01-20 10:18 
Site Admin

comodo.

PostPosted: 2011-01-20 11:06 
Senior user
Senior user

If you only want a free AV try Microsoft Security Essentials http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials
If you want a full security suite (Firewall, HIPS, AV) then Comodo CIS would be my recommendation too.

Best regards,

Nico

PostPosted: 2011-01-20 15:48 
Normal user

My personal recommendation is ESET NOD32 (not Smart Security) - works for me and is lightning fast. Not recommended for servers though.

PostPosted: 2011-01-20 17:28 
Normal user

Vipre by http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com
Fantastic product. If your running a small amount of computers you can buy the more than one computer option and install it on servers and worksations (same product) I use it on my servers in addition to usig clamav for hmail.
It costs $49.99 for a year There is also a Premium version that has a firewall, malware and anitvirus that runs $69.99 for a year, It is also fantastic especially for users that like to visit website htat like to have malware and spyware hiden on them.

PostPosted: 2011-01-20 18:03 
Senior user
Senior user

Probably everyone here has it's own recommendation so at the end it doesn't help much :) amaretha, you might want to have a look at a page which tests AV products. A page with a good reputation would be http://www.av-comparatives.org/ They're also testing the performance of the products. Another good source to check what a AV is worth would be http://www.wilderssecurity.com where many developers of AV products hang around.

Best regards,

Nico

PostPosted: 2011-05-30 16:15 
New user
New user

I am not a part of the organization as I am just a regular user but I would suggest Norton internet security. There are other variants but this is the one I have. I have gone through a lot of anti virus software but this one suits me well. I also like Kaspersky but it is a little too strict for me to the point that even trusted programs are being blocked at times.

PostPosted: 2011-05-30 16:59 
Site Admin

I haven't used norton in the past 15 years because it used to suck, slow machines down to a crawl, and not catch half as many viruses in the wild as other comparable and also free alternatives used to. For a mailserver, you can't really go wrong with ClamAV as that's what it was built for.