hMailServer Documentation

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
racman
Normal user
Normal user

hMailServer Documentation

Post by racman » 2007-06-06 04:28

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem am having.

I have up till now used the online documentation for hMailServer and of course as everything else Martin has done, it is brilliant and has been very helpful.

Today, I decided to download the documentation for hMailServer 4.4 but for some reason, when I run it on my computer, it does not show any of the documentation pages.

All the time I try to view the pages, I get the error "The page cannot be displayed". Has anyone had this problem? What is the reason for this?

Many thanks for your input.

Regards,

Racman

NeBlackCat
Normal user
Normal user

Post by NeBlackCat » 2007-06-06 08:16

It'll be because you've managed to obtain Windows' "super duper" (sarcasm) security on CHM files by installing updates or service packs. This prevents CHM files that are not local from running, in case they do nasty things. Of course you don't even get a nice meaningful error message telling you that.

So I'm assuming you're trying to open the CHM file across your network from a server.

If so, you have two choices:

1) Copy the CHM file to your local hard drive, you should then be able to open it.

2) If you want to open it from where it is currently, paste the following (under the cut line) into a file ending in .reg, edit it to fit your situation (replace <NETWORK PATH> with your actual network path,using double backslashes and trailing back slashes), and run it to change the registry.

So for example if your CHM file is under \\MYSERVER\SHARENAME\hMailServer then you'd replace <NETWORK PATH> with \\\\MYSERVER\\SHARENAME\\hMailServer\\

I don't think you have to reboot after doing this - it should work straight away.

Hope that helps, let me know.

-------------------------------------- CUT -----------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\ItssRestrictions]
"UrlAllowList"="<NETWORK PATH>;file://<NETWORK PATH>"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations]
"DefaultFileTypeRisk"=dword:00001808
"LowRiskFileTypes"=".chm"

racman
Normal user
Normal user

Post by racman » 2007-06-06 08:50

Hi NeBlackCat,

Thanks for that input. It was really helpful. I copied the file onto my pocket drive and was able to run it from there.

You are right, my server\network will not allow it to run off it directly.

Perhaps, we can beg Martin to five us a pdf version??? :wink:

Regards,

Racman

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2007-06-06 10:18

Haven't seen any good free tool which allows me to do that. I've tested a couple of PDF-generators but the result was no good. The documentation is written to be used online/CHM. There's differences how you structure the information in these if you compare to using PDF..

racman
Normal user
Normal user

Post by racman » 2007-06-06 12:22

martin wrote:Haven't seen any good free tool which allows me to do that. I've tested a couple of PDF-generators but the result was no good. The documentation is written to be used online/CHM. There's differences how you structure the information in these if you compare to using PDF..
Hi Martin,

You have a good point there as per the structuring of the file.

Well, I can send you a good FREE pdf creator if you you want one, not that its really important now anyway. You may already have the tool (PDFCreator) but if you haven't or need it I can zip it and email it to you.

Its what I use for all my pdf documents and its totally free with no limitations or ads etc.

Let me know.

Regards,

Racman

iprat
Normal user
Normal user

Post by iprat » 2007-06-06 13:09

PDFCreator is even better, its free and opensource.