Possible New User !

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
tomt
New user
New user

Possible New User !

Post by tomt » 2007-01-02 20:12

I'm currently a Mercury32 user and am considering moving to hMailServer..

I have a few questions:

1. Can I retrieve emails via POP3 from my host ? (like mercuryD)
I host 2 of my own domains, the other is hosted and I get all my emails via a POP3 catch all account.

2. Can I use spamassassin ?

3. Can I use BitDefender ?

4. Mercury has built in Content Filters, General Rules etc, can I added filters and rules like this ? Is there anyway to import these rules ?

5. Are the logs daily or one ongoing log ?
I would prefer 1 log..

6. Performance, memory.. etc compared to Mercury. ?

Thanks

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2007-01-02 20:21

1) Yes, you can use so-called "External accounts" to download e-mail from other POP3 servers.

2) Yes, if you use a script to launch SpamAssassin. There's scripts in the other section for this.

3) Yes, you can configure hMailServer to use it as an external virus scanner. You need to know which command line to use though, and what return value the BitDefender will return when a virus is found.

4) Not exactly sure what options are available in Mercury, but you can create rules which deletes, forwards and moves email to IMAP folders depending on the content.

5) Daily logs.

6) Not sure. Haven't done any comparison. Guessing they are on about the same level.. hMailServer has been faster than the other servers I've compared it to so far.

bazporter
Normal user
Normal user

Post by bazporter » 2007-01-02 20:47

I used to use Mercury 32 and swapped to hMailServer about 18 months ago.

In answer to some of your questions:
4) The rules in hMailServer are not as flexible as those in Mercury 32. Not sure what content filters you are looking for, but if you are looking to manage attachments this is very easy to do; much easier than in Mercury 32.

6) I have found hMailServer to be significantly faster than Mercury 32, and the memory consumption to be reasonably similar.

The scripting interface in hMailServer makes it possible to do so much more than I could with Mercury 32; the integration to SpamAssassin is much easier.

On top of all these benefits the development of hMailServer is constant, with Martin looking at adding new features that make it better all the time. Mercury 32 is a good mail server, but David is focused more on developing the features in Pegasus so Mercury 32 tends to remain stagnant for a long time with few feature enhancements. I see that Mercury 32 is still on v4.01a which is where it was at when I moved to hMailServer. In that time many features have been added to hMailServer of which Greylisting and SURBL servers have been a real winner in the fight against spam. And the GUI is a dream compared to Mercury 32; so much easier to use.

The only thing that may be a PITA for you is if you require secure authentication, as that has yet to be implemented. You can use stunnel to do it, and there are walk throughs elsewhere on the forum that would help.

Hope this helps.

--
Regards
Barry

tomt
New user
New user

Post by tomt » 2007-01-03 04:53

Thanks for the quick replies. :)

One feature of Mercury I do like is the transaction filtering..
As a connection is made to the mail server it checks it against a transaction filtering list and then actions depending on that.

ie:

Code: Select all

S, "*halifax*", B, "Halifax Email Mail Rejected."
S= Subject, B= issue error and drop connection.
So anything with halifax in the subject, drop the connection with error "Halifax Email Mail Rejected."

Taking that a stage further:

Code: Select all

H, "*[0.9]+.[0.9]+.[0.9]+.[0.9]+*dynamic*.*.*" DS, "*[0.9]+.[0.9]+.[0.9]+.[0.9]+.*.dynamic.*.* -- drop&30"
H, "*[0.9]+.[0.9]+.[0.9]+.[0.9]+*dial*.*.*" DS, "*[0.9]+.[0.9]+.[0.9]+.[0.9]+.*.dynamic..*.* -- drop&30"
H, "*[0.9]+.[0.9]+.[0.9]+.[0.9]+*modem*.*.*" DS, "*[0.9]+.[0.9]+.[0.9]+.[0.9]+.*.dynamic..*.* -- drop&30"
Drops anything from a dialup/dynamic range
DS means drop connection and blacklist the IP for 30 minutes

Using this I can block email before it arrives.. Can anything like this be done ??

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2007-01-03 05:21

No, that flexible filtering is not possible in hMailServer.

tomt
New user
New user

Post by tomt » 2007-01-03 23:05

Thanks. I have downloaded and will be trying shortly.