SPAM BLOCK

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
diegorodriguez
New user
New user

SPAM BLOCK

Post by diegorodriguez » 2006-02-22 21:57

When attempting to send an e-mail to certain addresses, hMailServer may get an error message from remote server like this:

554 EMail from mailserver at 81.34.148.103 is refused. See http://spamblock.outblaze.com/81.34.148.103.

Simply because mail has been sent from a dynamic IP listed in a block list, as described in http://spamblock.outblaze.com/81.34.148.103, where it suggests to set my mailserver up so it always uses a fixed IP...

In fact, I did set an account in http://www.dyndns.com to be able to get fixed-like service levels from a dynamic IP. And, since I know I am not Spam... what could I do to override this limitation in my hMailServer?

bazporter
Normal user
Normal user

Post by bazporter » 2006-02-22 22:18

This is not a limitation of hMailServer.

Just because you have DNS records with dyndns.org doesn't mean that you wont be filtered as a possible spam source. You still connect to the internet with a dynamic ip address not a static one.

Many providers filter dynamic ip addresses and won't allow connections, simply because this is where the majority of spam originates from.

You have two options to overcome your issue:
1. Find out what your ISP's smarthost settings are and relay all outbound mail through that.
2. If your ISP doesn't have a smarthost or wont let you use it, you can purchase Mailhop Outbound from dyndns.org and relay all your mail through their servers.

--
Regards
Barry

Blue Ninja
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Blue Ninja » 2006-02-22 23:19

I had a similar problem also. I used DynDNS's Mailhop Outbound, and can vouch for its effectiveness.

What I ended up doing was upgrading to a commercial account, and getting a fixed IP address. This cost me about $10 more per month, but I also have higher outgoing bandwidth (useful for the websites I host) and no longer have ports 80 or 25 blocked, so I don't need relay services anymore.

CraigHarris
Senior user
Senior user

Post by CraigHarris » 2006-02-23 01:42

Many anti-spam system don't allow emails from any dynamic IP pool, which includes your's (103.red-81-34-148.dynamicip.rima-tde.net at time of the issue you posted above)

Unfortunetly, some of the lists of "dynamic" address pools also include some of the static IPs from the same ISPs (this caused problems at a company I used to work for)

Ask your ISP what range they can allocate static IPs in, and check that such are not on any block lists prior to commiting to the upgrade.

diegorodriguez
New user
New user

Post by diegorodriguez » 2006-02-23 09:36

bazporter wrote:This is not a limitation of hMailServer.
Barry
Yes, I know it's not a limitation of hMailServer, which is a wonderful program.

I was meaning is there any way to 'mask' a dynamic IP so it does appear as static?

bazporter
Normal user
Normal user

Post by bazporter » 2006-02-23 20:11

I was meaning is there any way to 'mask' a dynamic IP so it does appear as static?
Not that I'm aware of.

Your best bet is to buy a static ip or use the Mailhop Outbound service from dyndns.org

--
Regards
Barry

diegorodriguez
New user
New user

Post by diegorodriguez » 2006-02-24 13:10

Blue Ninja wrote:I had a similar problem also. I used DynDNS's Mailhop Outbound, and can vouch for its effectiveness.
What do you mean? Wasn't it reliable enough? Mailhop is the same solution technical people told me from http://www.dyndns.com... But it's not a free service, so I have to ponder carefully the balance...

Blue Ninja
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Blue Ninja » 2006-02-24 18:00

I meant that I hadthe problem of my IP being dynamic and therefore blacklisted. Actually, I must have been too tired when I wrote that, I used the MailHop Relay service to get around the port 25 block, which may or may not have included MailHop Outbound, but I didn't use the Outbound service. I upgraded my account to a static IP, bypassing the need for MailHop Outbound altogether.

But, I have used many of DynDNS.org's services, including their MailHop Relay and MailHop Backup MX, and have always found them to be extremely reliable, and quick to answer tech questions.

In fact, I switched email from a hosted solution to my own server running hMailServer late on new year's eve, and I STILL got a reply from tech support about a question (not even a "problem", per se) within 20 minutes. I didn't expect anything until after the weekend! :-)

diegorodriguez
New user
New user

Post by diegorodriguez » 2006-02-25 22:53

Yes, I have the same good experience about the technical staff at http://www.dyndns.com.

Finally, I have decided to 'surrender', yet only partially, to get some help from outside:

I already fixed the block by using my my ISP's SMTP server. For that, I had to register a new e-mail, since they require authentication, and use just its SMTP settings on any e-mail client I intend to use, what is clearly a mess...

Could I simply use the ISP's SMTP server as relayer? Since, technically, outgoing is not spam blocked until later, probably hMailServer doesn't 'know' it needs to relay any message. Is that so?