Google Calendar: 530 SMTP authentication is required.

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
alidayvn
New user
New user

Google Calendar: 530 SMTP authentication is required.

Post by alidayvn » 2019-10-07 11:44

Hello,

We have a client trying to send a Google Calendar event and when she does she can send them to external users just fine but when she tries to send the event to local users she gets a "530 SMTP authentication is required" error. I'm not sure how Google Calendar works in this regard but I suspect if I uncheck "Local to local e-mail addresses" under "Require SMTP authentication in the Internet IP Range that it will solve this. My concern however is security.

First, and I can't remember, is that box ticked by default? Second, by having it ticked, am I right in that hmailserver with then reject spam email from those sending spam to the user pretending to be the user (we've all seen spam email that appeared to be from ourselves right?).

Thanks All!

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Google Calendar: 530 SMTP authentication is required.

Post by palinka » 2019-10-07 12:27

If you look in your logs, you may find that the FROM is actually google.com and not the account that is sending out the invite. If that's the case, then obviously, google.com is an external domain.

Can you post logs for this transaction?

Virinum
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Virinum » 2019-10-08 08:42

I already saw a few times that external servers were sending a local address in FROM. I think Google Calendar was one of them. That's the reason why I disabled "Local to local e-mail addresses" under "Require SMTP authentication". I also checked this behavior against the mailserver of my previous hosting provider. They also didn't require authentication for local -> local.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2019-10-08 10:36

Virinum wrote:
2019-10-08 08:42
I already saw a few times that external servers were sending a local address in FROM. I think Google Calendar was one of them. That's the reason why I disabled "Local to local e-mail addresses" under "Require SMTP authentication". I also checked this behavior against the mailserver of my previous hosting provider. They also didn't require authentication for local -> local.
I have AUTH required on local-to-local and I frequently receive mails from mailer-daemon @ "my Backup-MX" ... sender first tried to deliver directly and was refused so they try my Backup-MX service thinking it is more relaxed :roll:
This is the mail system at host backup-mx.post.tele.dk.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<wile.e.coyote@acme.inc>: host mx.acme.inc [87.51.999.999] said: 550 Delivery is not
allowed to this address. (in reply to RCPT TO command)
and it is 999% certain they contain messages like this:

Notice "As you may have noticed, I sent you an email from your account.
This means that I have full access to your device.
" ... Nah :mrgreen: sender is: bb121-7-51-227.singnet.com.sg
Hello!

As you may have noticed, I sent you an email from your account.
This means that I have full access to your device.

I've been watching you for a few months now.
The fact is that you were infected with malware through an adult site that you visited.

If you are not familiar with this, I will explain.
Trojan Virus gives me full access and control over a computer or other device.
This means that I can see everything on your screen, turn on the camera and microphone, but you do not know about it.

I also have access to all your contacts and all your correspondence.

Why your antivirus did not detect malware?
Answer: My malware uses the driver, I update its signatures every 4 hours so that your antivirus is silent.

I made a video showing how you satisfy yourself in the left half of the screen, and in the right half you see the video that you watched.
With one click of the mouse, I can send this video to all your emails and contacts on social networks.
I can also post access to all your e-mail correspondence and messengers that you use.

If you want to prevent this,
transfer the amount of $895 to my bitcoin address (if you do not know how to do this, write to Google: "Buy Bitcoin").

My bitcoin address (BTC Wallet) is: 1C1ehibCgeuLwF4VbSAzoDapDLbKtjivbP

After receiving the payment, I will delete the video and you will never hear me again.
I give you 50 hours (more than 2 days) to pay.
I have a notice reading this letter, and the timer will work when you see this letter.

Filing a complaint somewhere does not make sense because this email cannot be tracked like my bitcoin address.
I do not make any mistakes.

If I find that you have shared this message with someone else, the video will be immediately distributed.

Best regards!
SørenR.

“With age comes wisdom, but sometimes age comes alone.”
- Oscar Wilde