DNS Secondary MX record - do I need one?

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
alidayvn
New user
New user

DNS Secondary MX record - do I need one?

Post by alidayvn » 2019-10-07 11:43

Is it best practices to have a secondary MX record or can I just use a primary record. Right now I just have one instance of hmailserver serving all of my domains. Are there advantages to having two, if I am simply just routing back to the same instance? Do some of you use GMAIL here as a back up?

Interested to hear your feedback.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Re: DNS Secondary MX record - do I need one?

Post by palinka » 2019-10-07 12:21

alidayvn wrote:
2019-10-07 11:43
Is it best practices to have a secondary MX record or can I just use a primary record. Right now I just have one instance of hmailserver serving all of my domains. Are there advantages to having two, if I am simply just routing back to the same instance? Do some of you use GMAIL here as a back up?

Interested to hear your feedback.
There's no advantage to having two mx point to the same server. If you have a backup server, that's where you would point the second mx.

How are you using gmail as a backup? I don't think gmail would accept mail for you unless you use google apps. In that case you would set your primary mx to point to your hmailserver, then the backup mx's would be the normal ones for gmail. But I don't think you could set up gmail to hold your mail AND THEN forward it to your hmailserver when your hmailserver is back online. Actually, there's one possible way - you might be able to do it using script.google.com. I have used that for simple things like send a notification if a certain email is received. OR, just setup individual accounts in hmailserver to retrieve mail via pop3 from their respective google apps mailboxes. Less sexy but very effective.