Connecting hmail server with other computer

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
dttars02
New user
New user

Connecting hmail server with other computer

Post by dttars02 » 2019-08-19 13:11

Hello,

I am just new in this type of server.

I have already setup hmail in my computer, i also checked with two new user created and checked both in different email clients. But how can i setup email in a different computer for accessing the hmail server. I supposed it is in IP's.

Thanks.

mattg

Re: Connecting hmail server with other computer

Post by mattg » 2019-08-19 13:15

In the mail client (Otlook or Thunderbird etc) on the 'other computer', use the 'local IP address of the hmailserver machine' (or it's local host name) as 'Server'

instead of using like

mail.gmail.com as you SMTP or IMAP server
Instead use
192.168.0.1 (or whatever)
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Connecting hmail server with other computer

Post by Dravion » 2019-08-19 16:05

First you have to understand basic Networking (what is a ip, what is a router, what is NAT and what is a static ip).

In the next step it depends how you want to run your hMailServer Installation.

1) Internet Mailsite (a Server with it's own Internet Domain and static ip address)
2) A inhouse Server behind a NAT-Router with Dynamic IP's fetching and send Email via a third party Relay SMTP-Server
3) A learning Environment, just within a VM to lean and master setting up a Email server.

Anyways:
If you are serious regarding Mail servers, you should take a look at DNS because Mail servers require some specific
DNS-Entries for your hMailServer to be fully functional.