Steps to change the server

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
ucevista
New user
New user

Steps to change the server

Post by ucevista » 2019-08-07 13:31

Hi all.

I need to change the hmailserver to a new machine and I made a test doing all as described here: https://www.hmailserver.com/documentati ... _newserver. In resumen:

1- Check requirements on new server and install same version of hmailserver and MySQL (in my case) and configure all to have access to the database (dll and so)
2- Stop old server, copy the Data folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\hmailserver\data) to the exact same location on new server (FTP'd and copied)
3- mysqldump hmailserver database and restore on new server
4- redirect ports and DNS (on my case for testing purposes I made a mail2.domain.com registry pointing to my new server)

And here are the doubts:

- With my account configured in Outlook and changing the mail server (from mail.domain.com to mail2.domain.com) Outlook connects to the server bu there are no new messages (in first instance it is logic, those messages are read)

- Configuring from zero the account pointing to the new server I can download all messages.

Then, if I do this I'll receive new messages (changing the DNS registry for the correct one of course) then I'll be able to receive the new message, I'ts ok?

Thanks for yours answers.

mattg

Re: Steps to change the server

Post by mattg » 2019-08-07 14:01

Yes, what you've said kind of makes sense
Do you connect with POP3 or IMAP?

I've been meaning to update that page for a few weeks.

Easiest way
Backup using builtin backup tools with all options selected (including compression)
install same version on new machine
copy back up to new machine
Restore to new machine
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation