Mail blocked by Spamhaus

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
Technoman
New user
New user

Mail blocked by Spamhaus

Post by Technoman » 2019-06-04 08:08

Code: Select all

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Sent: Tue, 4 Jun 2019 01:41:32 -0400
   Subject: testing

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

person@hotmail.com
   Error Type: SMTP
   Remote server (x.x.x.x) issued an error.
   hMailServer sent: MAIL FROM:<mail@mydomain.com>
   Remote server replied: 550 5.7.1 Service unavailable, Client host x.x.x.x] blocked using Spamhaus. To request removal from this list see https://www.spamhaus.org/query/ip/[x.x.x.x] (AS3130). [HE1EUR02FT004.eop-EUR02.prod.protection.outlook.com]

hMailServer
Only when i send email to HOTMAIL
How do i disable spamhaus? I never even enabled it. :roll:

johang
Normal user
Normal user

Re: Mail blocked by Spamhaus

Post by johang » 2019-06-04 10:07

not sure if the Rolling Eyes means you are sarcastic about your own post or something else

yes i wouldnt like to be registered with spamhaus either ...
have you tried the link ? have you asked the provider of IP and other related services you use to get out of spamhaus listing .. ?

/j
______________________________________________________________end of the line

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2019-06-04 11:12

Technoman wrote:
2019-06-04 08:08
If you sent mail to me you would be blocked AND receive a more generic message that wouldn't explain why you were blocked. Hotmail really did you a favor by telling you the exact reason why.

You can't "disable" spamhaus. It's a blacklist of IPs reported to have sent spam. Administrators chose to use spamhaus or not. Hotmail does, i do too. It's very effective. I haven't received any complaints about false positives since i started using it to reject mail (only 2 months ago).

If you're not a spammer, it's likely one of your account passwords was guessed and used to send spam. OR, your IP is blocked by PBL which is a function of your ISP policy. For example, my IP is in the PBL because I'm on a dynamic IP range and my ISP reported to spamhouse that my range should not be sending mail. It doesn't affect me because they also block port 25 and I'm forced to use a relay. My relay is not affected so mail goes through. But you get the point.

You can try to delist yourself from the PBL, but i wouldn't do anything until you know for sure that any compromised accounts have been fixed and you are definitely NOT sending any spam.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2019-06-04 13:12

palinka wrote:
2019-06-04 11:12
Technoman wrote:
2019-06-04 08:08
If you sent mail to me you would be blocked AND receive a more generic message that wouldn't explain why you were blocked. Hotmail really did you a favor by telling you the exact reason why.

You can't "disable" spamhaus. It's a blacklist of IPs reported to have sent spam. Administrators chose to use spamhaus or not. Hotmail does, i do too. It's very effective. I haven't received any complaints about false positives since i started using it to reject mail (only 2 months ago).

If you're not a spammer, it's likely one of your account passwords was guessed and used to send spam. OR, your IP is blocked by PBL which is a function of your ISP policy. For example, my IP is in the PBL because I'm on a dynamic IP range and my ISP reported to spamhouse that my range should not be sending mail. It doesn't affect me because they also block port 25 and I'm forced to use a relay. My relay is not affected so mail goes through. But you get the point.

You can try to delist yourself from the PBL, but i wouldn't do anything until you know for sure that any compromised accounts have been fixed and you are definitely NOT sending any spam.
You can ask Spamhaus to remove you from the PBL if you subscribe to "fixed IP" with your provider. I did ... and I'm gone :mrgreen:
SørenR.

The quantum rule of insecurity which states that the act of observing how vulnerable a host or service is changes the insecurity level of the service.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2019-06-04 13:33

SorenR wrote:
2019-06-04 13:12
You can ask Spamhaus to remove you from the PBL if you subscribe to "fixed IP" with your provider. I did ... and I'm gone :mrgreen:
I would, but I'm too cheap. The relay is less expensive than a static IP. Plus, they get to deal with reputational issues instead of me. :mrgreen:

RvdH
Senior user
Senior user

Post by RvdH » 2019-06-04 14:44

SorenR wrote:
2019-06-04 13:12
ditto
CIDR to RegEx: d-fault.nl/CIDRtoRegEx
DNS Lookup: d-fault.nl/DNSTools
DNSBL Lookup: d-fault.nl/DNSBLLookup
GEOIP Lookup: d-fault.nl/GeoipLookup

Technoman
New user
New user

Post by Technoman » 2019-06-04 20:15

Thanks guys for the answers!
I will contact them and see where it goes from there. No I have never spammed or done anything wrong with my IP so it must of been the person who had it before i assume.

Technoman
New user
New user

Post by Technoman » 2019-06-04 21:15

https://www.abuseat.org/lookup.cgi Removal of x.x.x.x completed
https://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/removal/verify/ Removal Control: Request Accepted

Blocklist Lookup Results
x.x.x.x is not listed in the SBL
x.x.x.x is not listed in the PBL
x.x.x.x is not listed in the XBL

finally sorted above out

The only thing left is "If you are the administrator of the IP block of your mail server, simply change the DNS zone records in such a way that the rDNS query responds properly."
https://spfbl.net/en/rdns/ Anyone here has done this and if so how to do with cloudflare? Remember im using a windows server.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2019-06-05 11:56

Technoman wrote:
2019-06-04 21:15

The only thing left is "If you are the administrator of the IP block of your mail server, simply change the DNS zone records in such a way that the rDNS query responds properly."
Just make sure hmailserver settings > protocols > smtp > welcome message matches your mx record - mail.yourdomain.com or whatever your mx is.

nitro
New user
New user

Post by nitro » 2019-06-05 12:56

I think it refers to the inverse resolution of the DNS, except for some cloud services, if you use a physical server on a fixed ip, you must request your internet provider to associate your ip with a name in such a way that:

1.1.1.1 = mail.domain.com
and
mail.domain.com = 1.1.1.1
Production 5.6.8-B2437.20_OpenSSL_1.0.2s W.Server 2016 Datace [2x Intel Xeon E5-2660 8GB RAM]
Staging 5.7.0-B2428-LibreSSL-x64-LTS W.Server 2008 R2 Stand [Intel Pentium 4 4GB RAM]

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2019-06-05 13:06

nitro wrote:
2019-06-05 12:56
I think it refers to the inverse resolution of the DNS, except for some cloud services, if you use a physical server on a fixed ip, you must request your internet provider to associate your ip with a name in such a way that:

1.1.1.1 = mail.domain.com
and
mail.domain.com = 1.1.1.1
FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) => mail.domain.com

FCRDNS (Forward Confirmed Reverse DNS) => (A) mail.domain.com = (PTR) 1.1.1.1 = (A) mail.domain.com

Before (and according to RFC) the MX must reference an A record, but with the shortage of IP address it has been acceptable to reference a CNAME, unfortunately that will break FCRDNS and some hardcore sites will report as SPAM.
SørenR.

The quantum rule of insecurity which states that the act of observing how vulnerable a host or service is changes the insecurity level of the service.

nitro
New user
New user

Post by nitro » 2019-06-05 13:30

In theory, in practice you will get a nice: :(

Code: Select all

Error Type: SMTP
   Remote server (2.2.2.2) issued an error.
   hMailServer sent: RCPT TO: <user@domain.com>
   Remote server replied: 450 4.7.1 Client host rejected: can not find your hostname, [1.1.1.1]
Production 5.6.8-B2437.20_OpenSSL_1.0.2s W.Server 2016 Datace [2x Intel Xeon E5-2660 8GB RAM]
Staging 5.7.0-B2428-LibreSSL-x64-LTS W.Server 2008 R2 Stand [Intel Pentium 4 4GB RAM]

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2019-06-05 14:45

Walter J. Savitch, An Introduction to the Art and Science of Programming (1984), wrote: .
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
My server is FCRDNS and also sending mail to e.g. "root@[1.1.1.1]" works if we assume 1.1.1.1 is the ptr of the FQDN that services my MX... :mrgreen:

Useful if hackers should kill the important DNS servers 8)
SørenR.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2019-06-05 23:01

hmmm... never looked at this before. I just ran ptr against my host name and since I'm on a dynamic residential IP, it returned some gibberish my ISP gives as my FQDN. I'm using a relay so a ptr check against them must work fine since I don't get bounced messages. Still so much to learn, apparently. :mrgreen:

Technoman
New user
New user

Post by Technoman » 2019-06-06 01:27

Alright i guess I am fine then guys since mail.mydomain.com points to IP in A record

johang
Normal user
Normal user

Post by johang » 2019-06-07 01:10

Technoman wrote:
2019-06-06 01:27
Alright i guess I am fine then guys since mail.mydomain.com points to IP in A record

1st step. you point your mail.domain.com IN A X.X.X.X
2nd step you point emaildomain.com IN MX mail.domain.com
3rd step at operators get them to change dns that handles reverse ip to name to match your A record
( they put in Y/x.x.x.in-addr.arpa IN PTR mail.domain.com )

check here
https://mxtoolbox.com/ReverseLookup.aspx

IF you cant get them to change .. you have to think out of the box ..
and they have a provided PTR record ... ( some service providers havent set up PTR )
so the IP x.x.x.x you get from your provider translates to .. ( ex) rental.cloud-service.ip.provider.com ( what you get from your check with mxtoolbox )

then in your domain .. ADD : domain.com IN MX rental.cloud-service.ip.provider.com

( so you turn it around and let them decide the mailserversname due to their namestandars.. it will still work as intended for you )
______________________________________________________________end of the line

mattg

Post by mattg » 2019-06-07 01:55

Technoman wrote:
Except as shown elsewhere in your diagnostics, your server won't actually accept any external mail due to your IP range settings.

So every time a server tries to contact your server, your server just rejects the connection
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

Technoman
New user
New user

Post by Technoman » 2019-06-07 04:14

mattg wrote:
2019-06-07 01:55
Technoman wrote:
Except as shown elsewhere in your diagnostics, your server won't actually accept any external mail due to your IP range settings.

So every time a server tries to contact your server, your server just rejects the connection
Thanks for pointing that out, can you tell me by the diagonals what the problem is? I thought i had everything sorted out but i guess not :(

mattg

Post by mattg » 2019-06-07 06:39

mattg wrote:
2019-06-07 01:55
your IP range settings.
There is a 'default' button on the IP ranges page - pressing that will fix

Specifically you asking external mail to authenticate when sending to local recipients, and they can't (hence why they are 'external')
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation