Duplicate emails being created

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
tonyf
New user
New user

Duplicate emails being created

Post by tonyf » 2019-05-28 12:16

I setup hmailserver about 6 weeks ago with about 6 IMAP account downloading POP via our ISP. Each email account is configured as IMAP on multiple computers with Outlook 2016 or 2019.

We have noticed that we have started to get duplicate emails in the inbox, not immediately but after time. As we scroll back through the inbox a week ago most emails are duplicated once, 2 weeks back they are duplicated twice, 3 week duplicated 3 times back to 6 weeks ago where there are 7 copies of most emails. Emails older than this were imported and not downloaded via hMailserver and are unaffected. Our POP settings are set to deleted from our ISP after 7 days which may be coincidental.

mattg

Re: Duplicate emails being created

Post by mattg » 2019-05-28 16:34

THis is an outlook IMAP thing.
Outlook is really terrible at IMAP, and seems to get worse with each iteration

TRy another mail client, or a webmail and see if the problem persists.
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

tonyf
New user
New user

Post by tonyf » 2019-05-29 09:21

Thanks for the reply, we would prefer to stay with Outlook if possible however since the problem occurs exactly 7 days after the email was downloaded and the external accounts setting is set to leave mail on server for 7 days, also we have noticed that the old email imported into hMailServer do not exhibit the same duplication issues. Could this be related to the deleting from the ISP external mail account or something else?

tonyf
New user
New user

Post by tonyf » 2019-06-04 20:11

We have adjusted the external account POP retention policy in the mail server from 7 days to 3 and the duplicate email issues now appear after 3 days tracking hMailserver setting, this doesn't appear to be an Outlook issue as no settings have been adjusted in Outlook. We also observe that the mail is not being deleted from the ISP as per the external account keep mail on the server policy by hMailserver.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2019-06-05 03:56

Just test via IMAP on Thunderbird or another email client please, to see if the mail is actually there twice

Using IMAP won't impact on what your POP3 clients do unless you move or delete any messages
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

tonyf
New user
New user

Post by tonyf » 2019-06-05 14:18

Just to confirm the duplicate emails are still present in Thunderbird.

The emails being duplicated every 3 days since changing the External accounts Delete messages after 3 days for the one mailbox and being duplicated every 7 days on mailboxes where this setting is still set to 7 days

Also the mail is not being deleted on the external account, I suspect that the emails older than the 3 days are being downloaded repeatedly causing the duplicates

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2019-06-06 08:52

Try two things:

1, Do a download to ensure all emails havebeen downloaded. Then use a client to delete all the emails from the webserver (leaving it empty).
OR
2, Recreate the Download settings (delete it and set it up again). Note this will download everything again so you may want to temporarily copy away the existing emails in the inbox.

Other help:
Check your download settings (post a screenshot if necessary)
Enable POP3 logging and check your logging - it might show you where 'delete' commands are failing for some reason.
HMS 5.6.6 B2383 on Win Server 2008 R2 Foundation, + 5.6.7-B2415 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829