hMailServer blocks Autoresponder from Exchange-Server

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
gruenie
Senior user
Senior user

hMailServer blocks Autoresponder from Exchange-Server

Post by gruenie » 2019-01-18 15:57

Hi to all...
... and at first a Happy New Year!

On a customer we have an Exchange-Server behind a hMailServer. The hMailServer also works as a SMTP-Relay-Server.
All works fine, the only problem are Autoresponder-Messages from the Exchange-Server. They never reach the Recipient.
In the logging I saw, that hMailServer blocks those messages, because they would have an empty sender-address:
MAIL FROM:<> SIZE=13014"
"SENT: 550 Sender address must be specified."

As far as I know it is RFC-conforme that Autoresponders have empty sender-address to avoind loops for example.

What I need to do in hMailServer that those messages will not be blocked?
Thank you for your help in advance.

Kind regards
Gruenie
Errare humanum est, sed in errare perseverare diabolicum!

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Re: hMailServer blocks Autoresponder from Exchange-Server

Post by SorenR » 2019-01-18 16:09

hMailAdmin -> Settings -> Protocols -> SMTP [RFC compliance] : Allow empty sender address
SørenR.

" I will initiate self-destruct. " — IG-11.

gruenie
Senior user
Senior user

Post by gruenie » 2019-01-18 16:36

My goodness, so easy?! 8)
I had in mind that I saw this setting a time ago, but I searched now in the spam-settings and did not find anything! :oops:

Thank you SoerenR for the fast reply and help.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2019-01-18 17:20

Kein Problem, Kumpel. Dir auch ein frohes neues Jahr. :mrgreen:
SørenR.

gruenie
Senior user
Senior user

Post by gruenie » 2019-01-18 19:36

Wenn man bedenkt, daß ich mit dem hMailServer nun schon 15 Jahre arbeite und selbst sogar mal ein bißchen mit gebastelt hatte (2 Addons für Webmail), ist das schon peinlich!
Ich hoffe, Du vergibst mir! :lol:

mattg

Post by mattg » 2019-01-19 01:34

Nichts zu vergeben.

:D :D
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

gruenie
Senior user
Senior user

Post by gruenie » 2019-01-19 11:45

Mattg, Du sprichst auch deutsch? :o
Schönes Wochenende Euch allen! :)

mattg

Post by mattg » 2019-01-20 07:10

No I don't speak German, sorry...

My 17 year old daughter does (She learned German at School) and of course Google translate helps
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2019-01-20 14:04

mattg wrote:
2019-01-20 07:10

My 17 year old daughter does (She learned German at School) and of course Google translate helps
That is one of the downsides of living in a country using a "world language", everyone understands you.

Denmark being a small country with only 5-5½ mio ppl we cannot expect others to understand us - well except Norway and Sweden, so therefore we are taught English, German and French as standard in school. Sometimes also Latin and/or Spanish. I took classes in Technical English and Technisse Grundwissen when studying for my BSc to get the technical lingo.

I too use Google translate in German, but only as my spelling is terrible and I usually have to correct the translation a bit. French however is a different story - I have no use for it as I sold my Citroên CX over 25 years ago :mrgreen: . Now we drive Mercedes, VW UP!, VW Golf I Cabriolet Etienne Aigner and Audi Quattro (1982 model) so German come in handy when reading workshop manuals and searching the 'net for parts. 8)

Anyways, a lot of very learned scolars are worried that Danish currently is adapting quite a few English words. In my opinion it's just the language "coming home". Viking Danish (old Norse) still have the upper hand :mrgreen:

https://www.babbel.com/en/magazine/139-norse-words

Actually Icelandish is as close to Old Norse you can get.
SørenR.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2019-01-20 14:58

Ive lived with an Italian for 13 years and have a half italian son. And I dont speak a word of it.

(As brags go, it's a crap one.)
5.7 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

gruenie
Senior user
Senior user

Post by gruenie » 2019-01-20 14:59

That is the advantage to live in a country with no "world language" as the native one. You feel compelled to learn one or more of the "world languages" and so you are multilingual one day.
The people from world-language-countries can be lazy, because they mostly expect, that others speak their language (France, USA, UK etc.). :-P
With German it is a little bit more difficult. It would be one of the world languages if the people in the US decided to use German language instead of English language round about 300 years ago.
Nevertheless Germany is the home of many famous writers, composers, engineers, inventors and scientists - thats why some people (beside our neighbours) feel interested to learn it, although it is far from being easy. :lol:
Most Germans are learnng english, french and or spain (one of the 3 most spoken languages in the world).

Nevertheless thank you very much to answer me in German! :D

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2019-01-20 22:48

gruenie wrote:
2019-01-20 14:59
With German it is a little bit more difficult. It would be one of the world languages if the people in the US decided to use German language instead of English language round about 300 years ago.
Well... IF the Brittons had handled the Boston Tea Party dispute differently, there would be NO BREXIT and NO Trump. :mrgreen:

And by the way, the Spanish did NOT discover America... WE did. Leif Erikson (son of Erik the Red) was there about 500 years before Christopher Columbus was born...

Imagine that... America could have become part of Scandinavia. :mrgreen:
SørenR.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2019-01-20 23:09

SorenR wrote:
2019-01-20 14:04
mattg wrote:
2019-01-20 07:10

Anyways, a lot of very learned scolars are worried that Danish currently is adapting quite a few English words. In my opinion it's just the language "coming home". Viking Danish (old Norse) still have the upper hand :mrgreen:

https://www.babbel.com/en/magazine/139-norse-words
My girl topped senior year at her high school in both German and Ancient History.

In Ancient History she was studying 'William the Conqueror' the half Nordic Norman (His father was Viking King, although William was illegitimate) who created the Middle Ages England complete with feudal system and castles (as that article states). A bit of a search of the family tree reveals that we are direct descendants of William the Conqueror, and because of the marriage alliances created for political reason, also many of the ancient royal families of the rest of Europe. This specifically includes the old kings of Wessex, due to William marrying his son to one of the daughters of the defeated English.

Almost certainly there is some Nordic blood in my veins.

As an aside, here in Australia we have some 132 languages that are dead or near dead, with only a few words making it into our modern vocabulary. Not many outside Australia would know what a 'gunya', or 'nulla-nulla' is...although many people will have heard of 'boomerang' and 'didgeridoo'.

Where are we all headed?
Chinglish is a common answer
gruenie wrote:
2019-01-20 14:59
Nevertheless thank you very much to answer me in German! :D
No worries mate
(That's Australian!!)

gruenie
Senior user
Senior user

Post by gruenie » 2019-01-20 23:21

Incredible where it leads, if someone asked just a simple question about blocked emails because of an empty sender-address! :lol:

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2019-01-21 00:22

mattg wrote:
2019-01-20 23:09
Where are we all headed?
Chinglish is a common answer
Dun lai dat, lah! Can Lah!
SørenR.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2019-01-21 00:51

SorenR wrote:
2019-01-20 22:48

And by the way, the Spanish did NOT discover America... WE did. Leif Erikson (son of Erik the Red) was there about 500 years before Christopher Columbus was born...:
Tonto's family might have something to say about that.
5.7 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2019-01-21 03:03

jimimaseye wrote:
2019-01-21 00:51
SorenR wrote:
2019-01-20 22:48

And by the way, the Spanish did NOT discover America... WE did. Leif Erikson (son of Erik the Red) was there about 500 years before Christopher Columbus was born...:
Ah well... Minor detail. Anyways, The vikings did not steal the country or the resources, they tried to trade with the locals. Apparently looking for "Vinland". I would not be surprised if they left some DNA over there.
SørenR.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2019-01-21 10:38

jimimaseye wrote:
2019-01-21 00:51

Tonto was a fictional character.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2019-01-21 23:23

Yes, and an oppressed native 'offsider' to a fictional white man who hid behind a mask...

* Is Offsider too Australian? Do you other English speakers get that?

Perhaps we should say 'North American First Peoples descendants may have something to say about that.'
@Palinka, what is a socially accepted term that we should be using to limit offense?

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2019-01-22 03:59

Have a search on Eske Willerslev. He's a "DNA Detective" and the guy who found the real origin of Aboriginals. He also found that american indians were euroasians that came over the ice from Siberia some 20,000 years ago. He's known as "Well-known Wolf" with the Crow indians.
SørenR.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2019-01-23 11:56

mattg wrote:
2019-01-21 23:23

@Palinka, what is a socially accepted term that we should be using to limit offense?
Speaking as a partial iroquois (a common DNA mix for not-recent-arrival Americans of my area), i can safely say there is no limit. No term shall be deemed offensive.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2019-01-23 11:59

SorenR wrote:
2019-01-22 03:59
Have a search on Eske Willerslev. He's a "DNA Detective" and the guy who found the real origin of Aboriginals. He also found that american indians were euroasians that came over the ice from Siberia some 20,000 years ago. He's known as "Well-known Wolf" with the Crow indians.
I recently read some tidbit about Europeans coming even earlier across the Atlantic somehow. Could have been fake news. I haven't had time to track it down.