Own servermail

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
gtsolid
Normal user
Normal user

Own servermail

Post by gtsolid » 2018-09-26 16:38

Hi everyone,
From almost 2 years i'm using hmailserver without any problem and i'm satisfied with it.
In these days i was thinking: can i use it as a true servermail, not using the online webmail? Actually i have some box online that i pay every year.
this would mean to have a proper domani, ecc...

mattg

Re: Own servermail

Post by mattg » 2018-09-26 22:57

gtsolid wrote:
2018-09-26 16:38
this would mean to have a proper domani, ecc...
Probably, although you do it with some of the free DynDNS type services. Just make sure that you can set a MX record with the service.

This may be more likely to be seen as spam though. A real domain set up correctly is always better
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Own servermail

Post by palinka » 2018-09-27 01:04

mattg wrote:
2018-09-26 22:57
Probably, although you do it with some of the free DynDNS type services. Just make sure that you can set a MX record with the service.

This may be more likely to be seen as spam though. A real domain set up correctly is always better
I have two domains that are free dynamic DNS domains and I never had a problem with them. One of them has spf and dkim setup. They don't get a lot of use. I use them for notifications and machine related stuff, but the few messages that go to outsiders have been trouble free.

I use a relay with a good reputation, though. That may have something to do with it.