messagelocked flag: why and what happen with it?

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
ucevista
New user
New user

messagelocked flag: why and what happen with it?

Post by ucevista » 2018-02-05 20:19

Hi.

I'm new with Hmailserver and, after some testing, I have one in production and I have a question that could not satisfied looking by Internet and I thing this is what is causing problems to my users.

I installed and configured the server, all was working fine except that "sometimes" some users does not receive mails in Outlook and if I look form messages at data base (MariaDB 10.2) I see that there are a lot of messasges with the flag messagelocked=1. I set them to zero manually (by SQL command), the change the state but users can not receive those mails either ig I restart the server (I read than I can unlock the box pressing the unlock button for an account but it does nothing and someone recommends to do this by the cli directly).

Then, my questions are:

What is the purpouse of this flag?
Why some message are set the flag to 1?
How can I deactivate the auto set to one of this flag?

Thanks a lot.

mattg

Re: messagelocked flag: why and what happen with it?

Post by mattg » 2018-02-06 01:14

viewtopic.php?p=96274#p96274

Personally I have many tens of thousands of these, and it doesn't affect me or my users.

How are your Outlook users connecting? IMAP or POP3
Which version of Outlook? (Outlook has it's own issues)

Are the messages so flagged, messages that the user can't see

From memory, on my system these are messages that have been moved or deleted via IMAP clients, and where the folder has not been purged. IMAP doesn't actually delete messages it just flags them as to be deleted, purge deletes all messages so flagged. Purge may be called 'compress' in some mail clients.

(The unlock button for an account is for when a POP3 client access the mailbox but then just disconnects rather than logs out. These timeout after 10 or so minutes, but sometimes users will want access to these accounts during that 10 minutes. The unlock button achieves this.)
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

ucevista
New user
New user

Post by ucevista » 2018-02-06 09:57

Hi Mattg.

We have Outlook 2016 and 2013. The fails where reported by users with 2016 version.

All Outlook connects with POP3 protocol to an external server with hmailserver.

Yes, the flagged messages are wich the people can't see. If are no flagged there is no problem.

Then, if I understand you, the flag is used by IMAP clients to mark the message as deleted but it really isn't deleted, right? Mmmm... may be that Outlook downloaded the message, let a copy on the server and marked it with the flag to "1" indicating that is was read? Then, if it is that the problem isn't it, has to be another thing.

Ok, it's clear to me the function of the unlock button, very well explained.

Thanks a lot for your help.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2018-02-06 10:03

RvdH has a build that addresses some stuff that hMailserver doesn't >> viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30193&start=60#p201392

One of the fixes mentions an Outlook 2016 bug >> viewtopic.php?f=7&p=196733#p196733

ALSO, I can't see how a POP3 connector can change flags. Are you sure that someone isn't ALSO connecting with IMAP from say a smart phone??
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.

RvdH
Senior user
Senior user

Post by RvdH » 2018-02-08 09:53

mattg is right, POP doesn't change message flags
Are you using a webmail client (IMAP) or like matt said someone is on a cellphone using IMAP?

Or do you mean the "Mailbox is already locked" using POP3 (examine your logs)
This can be caused by 2 (or more) clients simultaneously connection to same mailbox over POP3
CIDR to RegEx: d-fault.nl/CIDRtoRegEx
DNS Lookup: d-fault.nl/DNSTools
DNSBL Lookup: d-fault.nl/DNSBLLookup
GEOIP Lookup: d-fault.nl/GeoipLookup

khavariali
New user
New user

Post by khavariali » 2019-09-12 14:06

RvdH wrote:
2018-02-08 09:53
mattg is right, POP doesn't change message flags
Are you using a webmail client (IMAP) or like matt said someone is on a cellphone using IMAP?

Or do you mean the "Mailbox is already locked" using POP3 (examine your logs)
This can be caused by 2 (or more) clients simultaneously connection to same mailbox over POP3
the software I am using will log in to a single email address simultaneously maybe 50 at the same time its is happening each 5sec 24h. how can I disable lock option and allow multiple login to a single email address to receive emails? its very important for me, before hmail I was using another mail server and never had this problem. if there is a solution for it please let me know.

thank you.
Reza

mattg

Post by mattg » 2019-09-12 14:21

Please don't double post
Answered in your other thread

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2019-09-12 21:06

Not sure if this has any relevance to your situation but hMailServer in POP3 will issue a response in its Log once it has connected to download the email messages that the 'Mailbox is locked and ready'. During this time that the 'Mailbox is locked and ready', anyone else attempting to access the Mailbox will not be able to access it. The Mailbox will be released when the connection to the Mailbox is ended.