hMailServer & Drafts

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
drakakistours
Normal user
Normal user

hMailServer & Drafts

Post by drakakistours » 2017-11-16 09:51

Good Morning

We've had the same issue a couple of times over the last few days with drafts.

When a draft is saved in the folder, it will stay there for a while, then it will just disappear. The first time it happened, I assumed my boss hadn't saved it, but this time he was adamant that he had. It's not anywhere that I can see, but then I don't really know where to look.

Can anyone tell me what happens with drafts and Outlook using IMAP. Are they saved to the server? Is there a copy somewhere hidden in the data folder?

Any assistance would be fantastic.

Cheers

mattg

Re: hMailServer & Drafts

Post by mattg » 2017-11-16 11:20

IMAP clients are the ones saving drafts, not the mail server. The mail server only does what it is asked by the client.

Outlook has folder options for where to save drafts...check those

If you need help detail which version of Outlook
ALSO, Outlook is terrible at IMAP, and seems to be getting worse each version
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

drakakistours
Normal user
Normal user

Post by drakakistours » 2017-11-16 11:55

It's Outlook 2016.

Outlook is saving to the drafts folder, but only the first autosave of the draft seems to be available. All subsequent autosaves (he was working on it for about an hour) and the final save are missing.

I checked the data folder, and I found the draft, but only the first autosave. I also checked my backup, and it still only had the first autosave. So between 9pm and 1am something happened which made the final draft disappear.

Could it be another client that was online and synced the first draft, then logged off, then logged on after 9pm and for some reason the copy of the first draft on client 2 overwrote the final draft on client 1?

I will see if I can convince them to change to Thunderbird, it can only be better right?

mattg

Post by mattg » 2017-11-16 23:28

Thunderbird is much better at IMAP than outlook

Outlook does other things though, like shared calendars and shared contacts much better than Thunderbird, but then hMailserver doesn't do those things anyway, so you probably don't use those features.

Saving DRAFTS is definitely the job of the mail client
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation