Log Reader (Beta) [Need your help]

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
neoKY
New user
New user

Log Reader (Beta) [Need your help]

Post by neoKY » 2015-11-20 15:43

Hi,

I had some problems with the mail-server in the last few weeks. So I had to read hundreds or thousand lines log files per day.
Annoying work :( . so I started to create an tool help me to analyze log files easier.

The tool is not finished yet, but it properly read my logs of the last month, and extract only the necessary parts.
Now I need the help of some guys, to test the tool with there log files.

If you are interested, you can see an quick preview on my homepage.

If you want to help me, send an mail to [url=mailto://logreader@ky-programming.de]logreader@ky-programming.de[/url] and I send you the tool.

As soon as the tool is finished, I will post an free download-link.

Regards,
Kai (neoky)

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Log Reader (Beta) [Need your help]

Post by Dravion » 2015-11-20 16:28

Hi Kay,
Very well done, but i dont think most people understand the german language (so wie ich).
Is this an closed source or OpenSource app?

neoKY
New user
New user

Post by neoKY » 2015-11-20 16:38

Hi Dravion,

the tool is fully translated in English. Only the website is not translated yet.
At the moment it is ClosedSource, but if there is public interest I will share the code.

Regards

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2015-11-20 17:32

Were you aware of http://log.damnation.org.uk/ ? (Paste in your log and click ANALYSE)
5.7 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

neoKY
New user
New user

Post by neoKY » 2015-12-06 09:33

I've uploaded first beta version.
All informations would be soon available at: [link removed]
Download: [link removed]

I need your help further! I build in an log anonymizer and automatic upload (analyze your log and use the button on top right).
Thanks to all guys helped me!!!

Regards
Kai (neoky)

skrzat
Normal user
Normal user

Post by skrzat » 2015-12-06 21:57

Great tool.

BTW one chineese antivirus (Qihoo-360) has found "HEUR/QVM03.0.Malware.Gen":
https://www.virustotal.com/pl/file/8c3a ... 449431714/

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2015-12-06 21:58

I have nervous reservations:

1, There is no documentation about this, or what to do.
2, Simply launching unknown, unproven software, from an unknown source, could actually be leaving us open to any malware (you could be a hacker/cyber thief)
3, Despite my reservations 1 & 2, I downloaded the 'ZIP without Setup' version, opened and ran the "KY.LogReader.exe" program. Nothing happened. Nothing. EXCEPT a background 'process' that stayed around for about 10 seconds. This now leaves me worried about what has just happened to my system!
4, There is nothing contained in the files (of the zip) that was readable or would explain ANYTHING that has just happened. But plenty to offer worries (a list of FIREWALL PORTS in 'ports.xml' - why do you need them to read a log file?!)

Lesson to self: follow my own instinct and IT training. If there is no reason to trust anything, then dont trust it! (I really hope you havent just screwed my machine.) :evil:

EDIT :

F#CK!!! skzrat has just posted you may have screwed me!

LINKS REMOVED as per forum rules....and a built in sense to protect the masses from dodgyware.
5.7 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

neoKY
New user
New user

Post by neoKY » 2015-12-07 10:02

Hi,

as I wrote this is only an beta version. Documentation, FAQ, setup and so on will be available as soon as the first Release Candidate is available.

When you download the zip file, all files (like .exe or .dll) would be blocked by your system (Vista and later). If you want to run the software you have to unblock all files (right click the file and click unblock), or use the self-extracting-file.
Not installed programs denied to use the most system functions (like accessing the registry or wide parts of your system drive). My software needs no system rights to run (there is no prompt for admin rights).

The ports.xml is for the firewall-log-reader-plugin to display port numbers and description. You are free to delete it.

The malware report is very strange. When I uploaded an Debug-Build, nothing is reported. If I upload the same code as an Release-Build, malware is detected. I have checked these on two different machines (one at home, one at work). Both the same. I will try to fix this.

Your machine is safe!!!! (or not screwed by me ;) )

Please bring my links back. Without people testing these software, I could not finish it.

Regards

neoKY
New user
New user

Post by neoKY » 2015-12-07 18:22

Ok, the Qihoo-360 is definitive an false positive. If I build an empty WPF-Application, the "maleware" is detected.

REMOVED URL

I've submitted an report to Qihoo.
Last edited by mattg on 2015-12-07 23:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed URL

mattg

Post by mattg » 2015-12-07 23:47

neoKY wrote:Please bring my links back. Without people testing these software, I could not finish it.
NOT WITHOUT SOURCE AND DOCUMENTATION being completed, and then only maybe.
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

Conzi
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Conzi » 2015-12-08 14:16

I tried the software, no virus.
Some exception error...

It's interesting.... but similar to Doom log analyzer

neoKY
New user
New user

Post by neoKY » 2015-12-08 18:48

Hi Conzi,

please help us and submit an screenshot of the exception to logreader@ky-programming.de.
If you want submit us your log file (please use the build in anonymizer and submit tool, accessible via button in the top right corner).
Ideas and/or feedback welcome too!

Thank you