Update the (former) built-in mysql-server

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
gruenie
Senior user
Senior user

Update the (former) built-in mysql-server

Post by gruenie » 2014-12-09 09:51

In one of my machines I have a hmailserver-installation, which I installed many years ago using the built-in mysql-server. I think its a mysql-version 4.x.
The hmailserver-installation has been updated always and now I'm using the latest stable version 5.6. But it seems, that the mysql-server itself never had been updated.
Is there an easy way to update the built-in mysql-server; f.e. just to change the mysqld-nt.exe?
Thanx for any help in advance!

Gruenie
Errare humanum est, sed in errare perseverare diabolicum!

mattg

Re: Update the (former) built-in mysql-server

Post by mattg » 2014-12-09 10:54

I found it easier to backup the mysql from the built in and then restore it to the new version (installed different location - so change port and location in hMailserver.ini)
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2014-12-09 17:14

mattg wrote:I found it easier to backup the mysql from the built in and then restore it to the new version (installed different location - so change port and location in hMailserver.ini)
+1

... by bitter experience :mrgreen:

NOTE. IF you have set dependency in the service startup, you need to change it as the second instance of MySQL will have a different service name. Otherwise your hMailServer service will never start :roll:
SørenR.

" I will initiate self-destruct. " — IG-11.

gruenie
Senior user
Senior user

Post by gruenie » 2014-12-11 11:40

Thanx for the answers.
Well, if I install a second mysql-Server on port 3306 f.e., is it then possible to copy the my.ini and the whole date from the old instance to the new one?
And there is no easier way (f.e. just to change the mysql...exe)?
Errare humanum est, sed in errare perseverare diabolicum!

mattg

Post by mattg » 2014-12-11 13:50

The MySQL that was built in in ver 4.4 and earlier was the community edition I think.
You can try and update (all files in the hmailsevrer/database directory by default) but I'm not sure that it will work, and you had better have a fall back position (ie a proper backup)

In fact, the experience of both Soren and I is that this isn't as easy as you expect it to be. Doing a MySQL backup and restore really takes very little time. I use PHPMyAdmin to admin the MySQL databases, and the backup and restore is easy from within that GUI. Just needed to change the MySQL port in the config between backup and restrore.

Matt
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation