Multiple problems

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
Julien@TLD
Normal user
Normal user

Multiple problems

Post by Julien@TLD » 2005-09-12 12:45

Hello everybody,

First, thanks to the team for developping this free mail server! Therefore, I have some problems on a Windows Server 2003 SP1 machine + security updates + IIS 6.0 + MySQL 4.1.14 + PHP 5.0.15 (mysqli) + hMailServer 4.1 build 136. I precise that the Mysql server works very well and is very optimized for performance in the my.ini file. My problems:

* In hMailServer Administrator, the SMTP parameter "max message size" seems to not run. When I change the value, it seems to do not have any effect and in Outlook, the mails larger than 20 KB are refused. After the installation of hMailServer, I set this parameter to "20" because I thank I had to set this in MB and it seems to be in KB in fact (it's would be a good thing to precise the unit in the documentation). Restarting the hMailServer service do not have any effect but the maxmessagesize value in the database is well updated. Outlook continues to refuse sending messages larger than 20 KB. Why?

* Randomly, in the hMailServer Administrator graphical interface, I obtain an error: "Run-time error '462': The remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable" and the hMailServer Administrator crashes.

* In the log files "ERROR_hmailserver_xxxx-xx-xx.log", I have many errors:

"ERROR" 1424 "2005-09-12 12:04:32.234" "Source: MySQLConnection::GetLongValue(), Code: HM10059, Description: GetLongValue() failed. Error: Unknown"

"ERROR" 2596 "2005-09-12 12:04:56.703" "Source: MySQLConnection::Open, Code: HM10050, Description: Open(select * from hm_fetchaccounts WHERE (fanexttry <= CONCAT(CURDATE(), ' ', CURTIME())) and falocked = 0 and faactive = 1 order by faid asc) failed. Error: Lost connection to MySQL server during query"

"ERROR" 1424 "2005-09-12 12:04:32.234" "Source: MySQLConnection::Open, Code: HM10050, Description: Open(select count(*) as noofobjects from hm_accounts where accountaddress = 'foo@bar.com' and accountactive = 1) failed. Error: Lost connection to MySQL server during query"

I don't understand Why hMailServer have problems with connecting to MySQL. My PHP web application works fine with MySQL.
Are this errors due to mysql configuration? Per exemple, I set wait_timeout=20 in the my.ini file.

* Sometimes when I check for new emails in Outlook, it can't identificate to the POP3 server. I think it's perhaps due to the below errors, no?

* When you delete a domain in hMailServer Administrator, the data folder of this domain is not deleted on the server hard disk. Normal perhaps?

I hope someone here can help me to resolve this multiple problems because I do not want to return to the bad Ipswitch Imail Server!! I have also some suggestions:

* The link http://members.iinet.net.au/~remmie/relay/ is dead on the page http://www.hmailserver.com/documentatio ... elay_tests

* It's would be a good thing to improve the antispam filter I think with other options. Or, Why not directly integrate an antispam external tool like it's done for the antivirus ClamWin?

* Is there a solution (script?) to stop the loging engine during a period or at a precise time? In effect, I would like to stop the loging when I send my big newsletter. Per exemple in Ipswitch Imail Server it is possible to stop the log service When I want (with a .bat file).

Thanks you very much.

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2005-09-12 13:00

That's a lot of questions / suggestions in the same post. In the future, I would appreciate if you split the different questions.

Question 1:
The max message size is in kilobytes. Why do you assume that it's in MB? I've updated the documentation.

Question 2:
If you restart the hMailServer service and do not restart hMailAdmin, you'll get this error. It's a (somewhat) known problem.

Question 3 (MySQL errors):
It looks like your MySQLserver does not respond (which is kind of needed for hMailServer to run properly). Is it running on the same machine? What version are you using? Have you checked the MySQL error log?

Question 4: (Outlook)

What does "identificate the POP3 server mean"?

Question 5: (Normal perhaps?)

Yes, it's normal. In 4.2, the data structure is removed as well.

Question 6: (Dead link)

It might start work again in a couple of hours so I won't remove it for now.

Question 7: (Anti spam integration)

There are several threads in this forum on how to set up anti spam with hMailServer. Including AntiSpam is probably a bad idéa, since it would increase the installation size much.

Question 8:

You can easily stop logging using a small vb script. Have you looked at the COM interface? Do you know VBscripting?

Julien@TLD
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Julien@TLD » 2005-09-12 13:41

Thanks for your reply!

* Ok for the "max message size" unit in KB but as I said, I now set it to 20000 (20 MB) and restarted the service hMailServer but the messages are yet limited to 20 KB :-(

* hMailServer and MySQL are running on the same machine. MySQL listen on 127.0.0.1:3306 I have MySQL 4.1.14 and I use the mysqld-nt.exe service. Nothing in MySQL logs and my website which use extremely MySQL works very good in the same time.

* Sometimes and randomly, when I check for new emails, Outlook display a popup with the username and the password, like if the password is wrong. I click "Ok" and it's run. Strange. I think it is perhaps linked with the MySQL problem connection.

* I am going to see on Google how to stop logging with VB Script ;-)

Thanks you for your help.

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2005-09-12 13:48

* Have you modified it both in the domain settings and in the SMTP setitngs? What's the exact message? (Please always include the exact error message if you get an error mesage).

* The next version of hMailServer will automatically try to re-connect if the connection goes down. Does it happen on certain times or just randomly?

* You probably won't find it on google, since it's hMailServer specific. Put the following in two files. Just double-click on them to run them.

EnableLogging.vbs:

Code: Select all

Set oApp = CreateObject("hMailServer.Application")
oApp.Settings.Logging.Enabled = True
DisableLogging.vbs:

Code: Select all

Set oApp = CreateObject("hMailServer.Application")
oApp.Settings.Logging.Enabled = False

Julien@TLD
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Julien@TLD » 2005-09-12 14:25

Arf, sorry sorry!!! I didn't modify the "max size message" in the domain tabs with the new value :roll: :roll:

The MySQL problem seems to be random. My Outlook problem is perhaps linked to this MySQL connection problem.
I activate the Outlook logs and I obtain:

POP3: 14:20:44 [rx] +OK POP3
POP3: 14:20:44 [tx] USER foo@bar.com
POP3: 14:20:44 [rx] +OK Send your password
POP3: 14:20:44 [tx] PASS *******
POP3: 14:20:44 [rx] -ERR Invalid user name or password.

Two minutes before it's ran perfectly...

Thanks you very much for the VB Scripts. I am going to test it now!