Foreign languages in email addresses

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
dmaximoff
New user
New user

Foreign languages in email addresses

Post by dmaximoff » 2013-03-29 23:59

Hi,

I've got hMailServer setup and working great. It's stable and bullet proof!

I'd like to know if it's possible to create mailboxes with foreign characters in the email address. I've tried and Latin seems to work but when I tried to create mailboxes in Greek, Japanese or Cyrillic, the mailbox gets created but the email address is left blank. I tried installing the language packs but I get the same results.
Here are some examples of mailboxes I'd like to create:

• Latin Alphabet (with diacritics): Pelé@example.com
• Greek Alphabet: δοκιμή@παράδειγμα.δοκιμή
• Japanese Characters: 甲斐@黒川.日本
• Cyrillic Characters: чебурашка@ящик-с-апельсинами.рф

hMailServer is running on Windows 2008 R2 SP1 and is version 5.3.3-B1879.

TIA!

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Foreign languages in email addresses

Post by percepts » 2013-03-30 03:49

Are you using a database with charset for your tables set to UTF-8. That should cover all your latin languages. hebrew, cyrillic and arabic if you are using the correct fonts on your system. I'm not sure about japanese and chinese etc.
You may need those code pages enabled in your database which they may or may not be already. But again if you haven't enabled correct fonts on your system then foreign characters won't display properly. And if sending machine has't specified correct language then your system won't be able to work it out.

I think but I'm no expert on this.

First check defined database table charset and report back.

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Post by dzekas » 2013-03-30 07:32

domain part is covered by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... omain_name.

8bit local part is allowed, but character set standard is not defined. You will have problems there.

dmaximoff
New user
New user

Post by dmaximoff » 2013-04-01 19:11

I've tested a few Latin based languages and they seem to work fine. My problem seems to be with non Latin based languages. The Windows machine which is joined to my AD domain can display non Latin language characters no problem. I've also been able to verify that hMailServer CAN display non Latin characters in the "display name" field. It only seems to have troubles in the email address.

My question now is, why can't it display these characters in the email address of the mailbox? Just to be clear, I'm not talking about sending or receiving any emails with non Latin characters. I'm just talking about creating a new mailbox on hMailServer with them.

Thanks for the help!

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Post by dzekas » 2013-04-01 20:22

hmailserver does not support IDN, but you still can use IDN domains in hmailserver due to the way IDN works. Enter domain name in punycode in hmailserver and any IDN compatible email program will handle them properly.

The biggest problem is local address part. Like i said encoding standard is not defined for local address part. "чебурашка" can be encoded in more than five different character sets. Not including odd ones. There are nine billion names of God and there are trillion ways of writing them on computer.

Apart from that such local address part would use format that might be mishandled by some applications due to its rarity.

dmaximoff
New user
New user

Post by dmaximoff » 2013-04-03 21:24

Thanks a lot for your answers guys. Very helpful!